Damn, son, Thales got mean!

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Damn, son, Thales got mean!

Post by Primordial »

playing with the latest SVN data, ran into my first Thales after killing about fifteen pirates at a warpgate, in War, in my Vendetta. They just kept coming, it was mad, eventually had to run. War is currently host to this ongoing thing between the Andolians and the Purist, who're just blowing each other to hell and back all the time with the random occasional small pirate incursions of Plowshare, Hyena and the occasional Gleaner. In my vendetta I'm good for Plowshare and hyena, but I'm not hitting a Gleaner without missiles.

Eventually, I was hurt bad enough to run and docked at the in system military station. I had a plowshare at my back or something, it didn't bother me. Repaired and refueled, I undocked and there was just a sudden barrage of shooting coming at me and the stations shielding going mad, shots ringing off the place continuously. I turned to see what was causing this, and this big Grey Thales is speeding towards the stations firing like crazy. it even got through the stations shielding.

I'm used to the 0.5.0 Thales that was just a big, slow, grey, ineffectual chunk of metal vaguely like a interstellar whale. This Thales upgrade is awesome!

Last edited by Primordial on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Damn, son, Thales got mean!

Post by klauss »

Just wait till you check the latest SVN binary, where turrets no longer get stuck. They're even more dangerous.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

They get stuck? How?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

They get stuck firing at nothing. Highly ineffectual.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

Oh dear, I can see that being a waste of ammo if any of them were/are projectile based.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Good thing I got that win binary up then :lol:
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

I'll probably just keep to the revision I have for the moment. That Thales got eradicated by a sudden influx of Clydesdales. Two of them piled in at the same time, and it didn't last very long...

By the way, what happened to those new asteroids? Reminded of it by those 'asteroid' jump gates with the thousand tiny bits of rock of floating about. Be cool to see the universe spawn fields of the new ones in the future.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I forgot about em :( I really really need to find time to replace the old roids with the new ones.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Ajezla/NightOwl
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Ajezla/NightOwl »

Does the turret sticking thing apply to bases and such? I started to dock at a rlann relay earlier, and all the relay's weapon turrets were firing at nothing O.o There were no ships nearby, except a few rlaan. I doubt a rlaan relay would start shooting for no reason or at its own ships. Funny on how later half the galaxy went to war with the rlaan a few hours later in another sector O.O
ThinkSome
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ThinkSome »

Here in 0.8.0 Thaleses (and everything else) seem weak. Though they seemed weak also a decade ago when I first played this game.

1) Apparently, when aiming, NPCs do not take my acceleration into account, so their non-beam shots never hit.
2) Thales's turrets seem nonfunctional in that my first torpedo takes the whole ship out out. Gleaner has the same issue. Haven't angered any other factions yet.
3) Capships are in general very weak in-game wrt. power and shields. This means that I can kill them in one primary gun strafing run in a diplomatic boat (Franklin). I mean, seriously?!
4) And, lastly, if I can carry 96 dumbfires / 32 heatseekers in a merchant llama, then I fully expect NPCs to throw massive missile barrages at me.
5) When I take a Goddard or a Vigilance I still get attacked by pirate plowshares/hyenas alone or in small packs. I'd expect AI to pick their battles more carefully.
6) Capship weapons are WEAK. It took forever to take out a gleaner with four relativisticbeamsomething of the Vigilance.