Attack of the Thales

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Attack of the Thales

Post by eracc »

I had been traveling the jump points looking for a good in-system trade route to take on for a few weeks. I had finally found a decent route in the Stirling system between a Shmrn Commerce Center and Mining Base about 30,000 kilometers from the Commerce Center. An excellent route to some lonely Miners that is even better than a route to frigid Ice Planet denizens.

This base was hungry for PAI Wetware and AI Cores with the bit of food and entertainment thrown in for variety to fill up the cargo space on my refurbished, modified with a few "shady" upgrades, Pacifier. I was making yet another boring run for credits when I was suddenly hailed by the captain of a Pirate Thales saying something derogatory about my judgment and throwing in mention of my daughter for good measure. I think he was a wee bit upset with me. Actually, these guys HATE me. On my way to becoming a trader I had taken on the odd Bounty mission to take out Pirates and Luddites. You see, I have a serious dislike for the nefarious ways of Pirates and Luddites. So I killed a few dozen of each to help advance the cause of the civilization I have come to know and love. Now they ALL loathe me ... and the feeling is mutual.

Anyway, the dimwit decided to arrive on my 6 and do some serious hurt to me. Funny thing about pissed off Pirates, they seem to forget all the other folks that are not happy with their thieving ways. I started a turn for a torpedo run on this dink and lo and behold, by the time I got turned around the Thales exploded in a beautiful fireball. A few dozen Shmrn citizens and base patrol ships were surrounding the debris. I think the Shmrn have about as much like for these Pirates as I do. So, I missed yet another Pirate kill patch on my hull. But I am happy to know the Shmrn have my back here in Stirling.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Attack of the Thales

Post by TBeholder »

The problem with shooting too much of pirates is that black market guys quickly get upset and start to annoy you. And if you don't, Pirates themselves will eventually think "is a pretty cool guy. eh kills Luddites and doesnt afraid of anything". :lol:
When they are aggressive, though, a pirate Thales can be useful, to get rid of annoying Uln or Dgn with tractors without upsetting any more decent folk - provided you're flying something that isn't a complete sitting duck. I mean, without turrets it still has CapshipDisruptor... but wields it with all the grace of an overturned turtle. :twisted:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

I like Thales. They're so squishy...I blew up one in my Llama, and was eating em for breakfast with Dostoevsky...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Furthermore, they're very fun to watch once you upset them. With all their flaks and all.
Very fun.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

What's with their weaps anyway? Most of the time when attacking them my screen is red like I'm constantly getting hit, but no damage at all....
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

They have some guns with very high refire rate, but small individual damage.
With good enough shields/armor, you might not notice it immediately.

But they deal quite a big punch, and are great at shooting down missiles.

Though... the AI shouldn't fire them on you, only missiles.
I'll have to check if they're marked PD (as they should), and if the mark is having the right effect.
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Sarin wrote:What's with their weaps anyway? Most of the time when attacking them my screen is red like I'm constantly getting hit, but no damage at all....
Like with most capships. A great big bunch of turrets, but good mainly vs. missiles or interceptors. Thus, <B> <L> <space>, wait, repeat. :twisted:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

TBeholder wrote:Like with most capships. A great big bunch of turrets, but good mainly vs. missiles or interceptors. Thus, <B> <L> <space>, wait, repeat. :twisted:
I don't even bother to snipe like that. I just throw a dozen or so dumbfires at it and it goes boom.

And it's cheap.
Wing Commander Universe
Warlord
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Warlord »

I am obviously over-spending on ammo, then. Adv torps are my preferred long-distance hammer, used on anything that out-masses me by 2 to 1 or more. Dumbfires would be less expensive, but the torps are a sure-fire way to get peoples attention!
Let's see if another full salvo of missiles improves their attitude, shall we?