The latest addition to the fleet.

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

The latest addition to the fleet.

Post by DaveAshton »

Goddards? Pah. Lancelot? No thanks.

This is the way real privateers travel the stars. Introducing the newest line available from the Alpha Centauri shipyards, the Imperator (guns, ion cannons, and tractor beams sold seperately) :D

charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: The latest addition to the fleet.

Post by charlieg »

That's just awesome. All it is missing is the music.

Click this, then come back to the image for full enjoyment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ZTTsiJupo
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hehe gimme an SSD anyday. Or maybe a Vorlon planet killer :twisted:
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

pheonixstorm wrote:hehe gimme an SSD anyday. Or maybe a Vorlon planet killer :twisted:
The ISD's hard enough to park next to a mining base, an Executor-class would be a nightmare :p
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

pheonixstorm wrote:hehe gimme an SSD anyday
Actually, you know what... challenge accepted (only the model though, I'm not arming it with several thousand turrets). Just give me a couple of weeks :D
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

this should be interesting
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

I'll be working with images from http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/executor.html , so plenty of different angles to work with.

And of course, the bridge is already done (not sure if the engines are the same size or not, but it's possible they're pre-made in the ISD as well).
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

The basic shape is almost done (it won't be salmon-pink when I'm finished, I just paint stuff bright colours to help find all the back-faces).

I still need to add the massive hangar to the bottom, and also clean up a couple of minor niggles on the top. Then, on to the engines :D
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

you know, not only do these look neat, but a limited number of 20th/21st century sci-fi ships in the game makes sense. The "Trekkie religion" has been referenced, why would there not be a small ship maker that specializes in flyable replicas of Old Earth design? Much like the modern building of sea going ships from the age of sail. As far as thousands of turrets... no need to model them, or even make an entry for every one, but it should have several on each side. Going to make and give it a gun mounted in the hanger that fires TIE fighters?
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

I'd certainly like Defiant class ingame :D. or, say, Starfury, Thunderbolt or White Star?
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Problem is just any old ship can't be thrown in, but only a few of the most iconic ships from the most iconic franchises. It has already been decided that there is not going to be a throw every ship from very show thing going on. The niche market idea relies on what ships would be a "Gee I wish I could fly one of those!", while remembering that this is set roughly a thousand years in the future. While a Star Wars star destroyer an X-Wing or one of the Enterprise vessels from Star Trek may well be still widely recognized (Well, as likely as a "trekkie religion" anyway.) A runabout --Star Trek-- or Imperial Shuttle --Star Wars--, while far more practical, would have few buyers and a Viper from the original Battlestar Galactica would seem to be a new design.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

thats why you create amods :) I would love to see a Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 mod... even a Firefly/Serenity mod
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Using Firefly class trasport instead of Llama or Plowshare (I think it's closer to the latter one) would be amazing, but there are too few known ships from the series to warrant a full mod.

O hey...what about Star Mess mod with each faction having ships from certain faction in SW/ST universe? Like, Aera=Klingons, Confed=Empire, LIHW=Federation, etc...
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Now that's an interesting mod idea... Area seem to me more like the Romulans, but why stop there? Throw in Wing Commander, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, etc. If each faction could be set up with sub-factions It could get rather entertaining. Klingons vs. Federation but both hate the Star Wars faction more, but Federation hates the Rebel Alliance less then the Empire and the Klingons are reverse.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Balancing would be hell tho...each universe is on different technological level...and uses different technobabble.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

Contrary to what the lack of posts from me would have you believe, this project isn't dead (I did wander off to do other stuff, though :P ). I've now added the bridge tower (easy enough, I just grabbed it from the ISD. One of the bonuses of making everything to "real" scale), and a few of the city blocks. Also, the underside is nearing completion (except the engines... they're not even started yet).

I've decided that the city blocks won't match the original film model, simply because of how much extra effort it would take to get everything to look the same.

Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

That thing is looking awesome mate, good job. :D

Good luck with the rest of it. I hope that it makes it in-game. :)
Never watched Star Wars much, so I know almost nothing about it, but the model seems to be able to speak for itself.

What sort of weapons do you plan to put on it? Judging from those pics, that thing isn't a small ship, and there appears to be plenty of room for a few turrets and some hefty main guns. Maybe even capship-heavy. :twisted:

But anyway, good luck, and have fun with the rest of it. :)
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Well, Imperator class destroyer is about a mile long. Executor class super star destroyer (Then one that's being worked on) roughly ten times as long. According to Star Wars wiki, ISD got 60 turbolaser emplacements...so yea, there's certainly gonna be a few gun on the hull :D.