Where to put this

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Where to put this

Post by travists »

This was the closest thing to an open area I could find, and not sure where this belongs...

One of the other Open Source games I play is Scorched 3d. I know music and voice overs have been a "as we can" thing. Not being active on the development side of S3d I have no idea the cost, but they use Hans Hiscore which does music and voice-overs for games and music. From what I can see it looks like they cater to smaller scale projects without a large budget.

Just one of my random thoughts, if it's a non-starter disregard.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Where to put this

Post by Turbo »

Interesting find! When I go to the page, the voice-overs page is blank, even after enabling scripts. Even so, further investigation is warranted.

This thread should probably be moved to Music and Sound...
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Do it if you have the privileges! Like I said, I wasn’t sure where it belonged. Sound has been largely handled, so I figured put it in a general area and it would get filed appropriately.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

The text of the voice overs is just:
Voice Overs

Professional speakers add depth to your game characters

We record voice overs at our studio or outsource this task to quality partners we trust. A selection of trained speakers is able to cover almost any character you need in your game or movie. We focus on English and German voice overs, but feel free to ask for other languages. Complete localizations for the German speaking market are possible.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:This was the closest thing to an open area I could find, and not sure where this belongs...
Music and Sound Collaboration
travists wrote: I know music and voice overs have been a "as we can" thing. Not being active on the development side of S3d I have no idea the cost, but they use Hans Hiscore which does music and voice-overs for games and music. From what I can see it looks like they cater to smaller scale projects without a large budget.
An interesting option.
But the first step is to define the problem: is it more about "where we possibly could get this" or long-term dragline & jigsaw work?
Voice? If it's something like "arr, ye dried space rat!" rather than a Galactic News Network show - TV news reader in a professional studio is superfluous (though a good mic isn't, of course). What this needs - voice tests, voice tests and voice tests... until someone fit whatever idea the decision-maker had. A studio puts a lot of people together, but in the end most people are able to talk :wink: and a sample either fits or not.
Music? Depends on the license policy. If it's an acceptable model to have a basic pack good for GPL repositories + downloadable (maybe right from main menu) extra pack(s) under CC - internet is full of free music, including instrumental and ambient (i like random tracks from Quake Metal by MenacE as a battle music :twisted: , but it's definitely a matter of taste), a lot of which is fairly good and some is great. For example, browse links from the thread with my little discoveries on jamendo.com - that's more what caught my eye or stuck in the nets while wandering there than a result of purposeful digging through everything tagged "ambient" on the whole site.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter