I hate the Andolian.

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

I hate the Andolian.

Post by Boaal »

They have proven to be righteous little sods.
I have yet to even attack them, but I'm on -6 with them... and they send plagues of shroedinger with the odd Goddard after me.
Usually I'm just swarmed by droves of Uln, Dgn, LIHW, forsaken, and ISO. But somewhere along the way the Andolian decided to get involved.

So I took a scanning mission worth 20K from a bar, the usual patrol missions from the computers are only worth about 5K credits. I get to the system, after being hounded across several system by a bunch of enemies. I think I lose, arrive at the system and it's one of those ridiculously horrible ones, with the navigation points as a bunch of ships (Seriously I hate it when it does that), so I dock at a planet, save, fly back out, manage to scan all the points. I get to the final 8th scan, after being increasingly bombarded by an increasingly growing number of ships as more and more filter into the system.

So I get to this last bit, it's ((thankfully) a jump point. I turn around. And there are so many ships comming towards me. SO much laser fire. I swear there were at least two Goddards between the shroedingers, kafka, dodos, hyena, etc. My own hyena can handle the pitiful attacks from the Uln, Dgn, etc, pretty well, I mostly get a few scratches at worst. But the Andolian Goddards tear through me. I cannot be asked to fly around a system scanning 6 Mules, a clydesdale and a jump point again. SAcanning ships is aggravating worth with inertia.

Lesson learned, Andolians are scum. I plan to escape to Aera space, and use them to shield me. The Aera like me, and thankfully. If I can get Aera space they might help me to destroy my enemies.
The Twitching Pattern - http://www.last.fm/music/The+Twitching+Pattern
Have a listen.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: I hate the Andolian.

Post by athomic1 »

Sounds to me like the classic case of Uln sympathy: everyone's on good terms with the Uln, including the pirates, so when you bang on the pirates, you piss off the Uln, who will eventually start attacking you. The Forsaken also like the pirates, though not as much as the Uln do, and so will also start attacking you eventually.

The problem is, you really do not want to be shooting back at the Forsaken and Uln, because just about every other faction likes them, and will sooner or later start attacking you as well. If you just shoot back at whomever has been shooting you, all the galaxy will soon be your enemy. Not a happy situation, trust me.

Fortunately, it looks like you haven't gone too far down that path, if your only other enemies are the LIHW, ISO, and Dgn (Dgn? Seriously???). If you're only down to -6 with the Andolians, you should be able to call them off pretty quickly by sweet-talking 'em with the F1 key. It might also help (a little) with the other factions, though it might take a LOT of sweet-talk if those relationships are really far gone.

To really redeem yourself, though, you'll probably want to go Luddite hunting. Just about nobody likes the Luddites except the Uln, so blasting a few of their ships should improve your relationships considerably with just about everyone. Except the Uln. You're just going to have to try sweet-talking them out of fighting, as much as you can. Either that, or be ready to sweet-talk everybody else until you find more Luddite-killing missions.
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Yeah, I just got frustrated with it and started blasting away at them. Luckily I managed to get back on good terms with the Andolian, who now have stopped chasing me, and it's back to small time. I can't find any luddites, otherwise I would hunt them :) Funny, they love me.

Also on a side rant:

At time there is nothing so mind bendingly annoying as inertia. It's the devils whore. It's an interesting game mechanic, and on it's own it's not bad, but by the gods it's aggravating sometimes.
Inertia + dodo's with tractors beams while you're trying dock with a tiny little ship = an STD ridden, drug wasted old crone. It's the most frustrating thing.
I still haven't gotten to Aera space, which is sad. I keep coming back to the same places :|
Have a listen.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Boaal wrote:Inertia + dodo's with tractors beams while you're trying dock with a tiny little ship = an STD ridden, drug wasted old crone.
What a vivid picture. :? You have quite a way with words. Might you be interested in writing some VS-universe news articles for the in-flight broadcast system we are working on, in this thread?
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 29&t=14815
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Turbo wrote:
Boaal wrote:Inertia + dodo's with tractors beams while you're trying dock with a tiny little ship = an STD ridden, drug wasted old crone.
What a vivid picture. :? You have quite a way with words. Might you be interested in writing some VS-universe news articles for the in-flight broadcast system we are working on, in this thread?
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 29&t=14815
Sure, man!
Writing's what I do :)
Have a listen.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I find when the forces of the universe line up against me like that it is time to buy me a little shroedinger and engage the 'cloaking device' . It is not 100% but it allows you to move around freely. And it is great for those scanning missions where you are not required to kill those forces you encounter. (Patrol vs Clean Sweep). The Schroedinger if you buy stock and just upgrade the reactor and capacitor enough to utilize the 'cloaking device' without draining the capacitors (say reactor and capacitor III) you can add cargo upgrades and carry a tidy amount of high value cargo to trade. Keeps those pesky uln off your back, as well as anyone else you might want to avoid. You may have to sweet talk a number of stations to let you dock if they belong to those groups who don't like you, but I found it can be done. And once you have earned enough money to purchase the first AI Core, you are on your way to wealth and fame . . and infamy if you want to get a big ship and kill all those pesky uln. The shroedinger is also great for exploring and finding your way to aera space. It is also quite fast and can get you to those jump points quickly. The franklin is also good for speed and acceleration without a large outlay (comparatively speaking) they don't come with jump drive so you will need to do some upgrading but they accelerate quickly and with cargo upgrades can also carry a tidy little batch of booty.
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

No worries, I just went deep into Aera space. I havn't seen hide nor hair of them since, obviously can't get to me past the Aera, which is fine by me. Also I got vaguely bored of flying aorund in a small ship and just gave myself the several million credits to by a milispec Areus and kit it out. I then tried to attack somethignwith a large and painful turret and it blew the hell out of me XP
problem I shall face soon, I literally did give myself enough to buy the ship and no more, is that milispec packages, while keeping you at 100% load, are so expensive to repair, because it factors everything into the cost. I wonder if I should have gone stock and just kitted it manually.
Have a listen.
ertw
Trader
Trader

Post by ertw »

Hi.
A radical way to erase this problem is entering (if you use the Linux mode) at /home/(your username)/.vegastrike-(version number)/save and with Gedit or something like that, open the file with the same name as your saved game. In the place where's the name of the ship you're piloting, put "starfortress" and begin to play. Launch it. Probably you can't make nothing :D but here's the complicate part of the process.

Go to /home/(your username)/.vegastrike-(version number)/serialized_xml/(the name of saved game) and open the file named starfortress.csv and open it clicking twice. At the sites: Afterburner_Accel, Bottom_Accel, Forward_Accel, Left_Accel, Maneuver_Pitch, Maneuver_Roll, Maneuver_Yaw, Retro_Accel, Right_Accel and Top_Accel put a HUGE number. At Default_Speed_Governor and Afterburner_Speed_Governor put a number near 250.000000 and in Yaw_Governor, Yaw_Governor_Left, Yaw_Governor_Right, Pitch_Governor, Pitch_Governor_Left, Pitch_Governor_Right, Roll_Governor, Roll_Governor_Left and Roll_Governor_Right a number near 40.000000

Now you should have a mobile starfortress that will kill any Andolian (or any other kind) that shoot you.

Notice that every time you use it, before using it again you have to put the number 40.000000 (or the number you wanted in governors) in the Pitch_Governor_Down, because it will appear vacuum.

Ertw
In universe self-describing one-liner which is pretty pathetic.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

LOL .. now that is a Hoot! Mobile Starfortress. I have hacked the save game and given myself ships like the Tesla but I never thought of doing that with the Starfortress.

With milspec packages . . I have found that if I add an armor upgrade those really high repair bills for the milspec package is greatly reduced to the repair cost of the armor . . that is unless you get so damaged that other parts of the ship begin to become unusable.

I play the svn version . . it is less stable than the 0.5.0 release and I find that it doesn't pay to buy milspec ships, Regional Guard, Highborn Gawain, Purist Admonisher . . or anything other than the stock versions of the ships (exception is the Goddard) as the special loadout goes away if I save or do any kind of modifications like buy or sell weapons and I am left with an empty ship no components of any kind . . or in the case of the milspec . . a huge milspec package and no functioning power plant or capacitors . . poor quality sensors . . just a bad situation all around and end up with a lot of wasted credits. (one could conceivably take the credit hit to have 2 ships of the same type by just selling the milspec package once the ship is purchased. I also found that in many instances since one is buying a 'refurbished' ship the milspec packages must be repaired before it is usable. Not always . . but common in several of the better ships . . especially the Goddard. The hunter versions are usually ok as they are a stock type ship . .even if they are not officially 'stock'.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

I've had that sort of problem with a few of the milspec models, and that's using the 'stable' version. I think the milspec mechanism probably needs a major overhaul, along with a few other areas. Everything in its time... :wink:

As for the mobile starfortress, I guess that answers the question about base == (non-mobile) ship. I kind of hope this doesn't get changed, because I feel there really is some potential for players operating base defenses directly. Couldn't you just imagine a multiplayer game with each player manning a base defense turret? :mrgreen:

Speaking of which, what did you do for weapons, just use the built-in turrets? I don't suppose you tried to hack in any 'forward' guns?
ertw
Trader
Trader

Post by ertw »

No, I NEVER put forward guns because I think that with some LR_PminusBeam turrets will be enough.
In the Subunits apartment there are 8 beam turrets. Change those ones for "aeraturretLR_heavy". It will provide you more attack range and intensity.
And also change some "turretcapmissiledeep" for "turretlaunchercapmissile". That last turrets ALWAYS hit the objective.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
In universe self-describing one-liner which is pretty pathetic.