Ship hacking

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Space-time
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Ship hacking

Post by Space-time »

After several failed attempts I decided to ask here. So how can I successfuly change my ship?
Thanks in advance
- Space-time
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Ship hacking

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Space-time first off which OS do you run so i can tell you which tools to use and where the relevant files to change are hiding.But generally you will be hacking the save ship file in the serialized_xml folder with they are csv files so a spreadsheet app like Exel or OOo' Calc will do the actual editing but be careful with the save as it may change the delimiters if you accept the defaults.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Space-time
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Space-time »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm running windows
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Which version as Vista changed where the saves a kept while Win7 goes back to previous behaviour :o if it's Vista it will under your username appdata folder. While XP keeps them in .vegastrike-0.5 with the rest of the installed files.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Space-time
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Space-time »

I'm running xp if it helps
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Then the ship files will be with in the data\.vegastike-0.5\serialized_xml\yoursavename\ folder then that should get you to right file.

Space-time
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Space-time »

I tried to hack but no change from my llama can someone explain the full process?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just what are you trying to do get a different ship or change the values on a ship you already have i find the simplest way to get a different ship is to hack the save file to get more cash and just buy it in game and equip it as you like.hacking the cash is simple as the the bank balance is the number between carets "^" changing ship values is tricker as you have to understand what each column does.There is some info in the wiki buts it's a bit scattered about.
There is a custom utility for editing units.csv and other csv files that you can find in this thread

parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

to hack a ship..

its pretty much basic..
after the "^" (carats as loki mentioned) u will see llama.begin.

that is ur ship's name.

there are many different kinds of ships available throughout the vegastrike universe.
different categories as well: bomber, fighter, cargo vessel, civilian transporting vessel etc.
there are also many made by different factions: ISO, Confed, Aera, Andolian, Rlaan etc.

above are the basics for ships.

now to the main part:

to hack a ship:

1) locate ur savegame file inside C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\.vegastrike-0.5.0\save\[your save file name]
**for example, ur save file name is called... abcdefg. then, there will be a file named abcdefg in the directory above.**

2) open ur savegame file using notepad. this process will take slow cos opening a notepad file 8mb large... yea..

3) look at the 1st line. u will most probably see llama.begin. you would want to change this to something else if you were to want to change your ship.

here are a list of ships u mite wanna consider for changing to:
lancelot.stock
llama.stock
goddard.milspec
taizong.stock
shenzong.stock
franklin.stock
clydesdale (capships ftw!)

4) change the ship to any of the desired one above. but. to maintain the above ships (other than llama), u nid a load of money. so, i recommend u hack a plowshare.stock, make many cargo runs from atlantis <--> mining base and then hack.

AFAIK, lancelot takes about 1mil to maintain depending on wad weapons u use;
goddard about 1-2mil depending on wad u spend on;
llama takes almost no effort since the basic repairs and the shield repair costs are cheap as hell;
taizong and shenzong... i have no idea since i NEVER seen any on sale before;
franklin takes less than a mil.. probably abt 800k++? not that sure about price, just a rough estimate since i sold it 1 hr after i bought it;
clydesdale.. umm... its just crazy. i never got a clydesdale before.. but the turrets are amazing! - not sure about price to maintain.

anyone who knows, pls help to check for any mistakes i make up there and correct them for me thx. :D

**ship types**

.milspec (military specifications) - unable to make a lot of upgrades to the ship
.stock (standard specifications) - able to get as many upgrades as u want, if ur ship's capacity is not full.
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

parkel wrote: here are a list of ships u mite wanna consider for changing to:
lancelot.stock
llama.stock
goddard.milspec
taizong.stock
shenzong.stock
franklin.stock
clydesdale (capships ftw!)

4) change the ship to any of the desired one above. but. to maintain the above ships (other than llama), u nid a load of money. so, i recommend u hack a plowshare.stock, make many cargo runs from atlantis <--> mining base and then hack.

AFAIK, lancelot takes about 1mil to maintain depending on wad weapons u use;
goddard about 1-2mil depending on wad u spend on;
llama takes almost no effort since the basic repairs and the shield repair costs are cheap as hell;
taizong and shenzong... i have no idea since i NEVER seen any on sale before;
franklin takes less than a mil.. probably abt 800k++? not that sure about price, just a rough estimate since i sold it 1 hr after i bought it;
clydesdale.. umm... its just crazy. i never got a clydesdale before.. but the turrets are amazing! - not sure about price to maintain.

anyone who knows, pls help to check for any mistakes i make up there and correct them for me thx. :D

**ship types**

.milspec (military specifications) - unable to make a lot of upgrades to the ship
.stock (standard specifications) - able to get as many upgrades as u want, if ur ship's capacity is not full.
Another thing you might want to know is that milspec almost always cost more to maintain, because the shield, hull, reactor, etc. is all in the milspec package, and because it contains almost everything, it is pretty much (one of) the only things that gets damaged in battle. Plus, even a tiny amount of damage (2% ?) would take 50K + to repair. Milspec ships are also somewhat glitchy in 0.50 (example: milspec admonisher - if you buy something and then sell it, the milspec package disappears).

About the Taizong and Shenzong, I don't think the Shenzong is buyable, because the only rlaan ships (as far as I've seen) that are buyable are the Taizong, Zhuangzong, and Shizu. As for maintainance costs, the Taizong can be pretty expensive to maintain, depending on the weaponry, and because the hull is easily damaged (~6,000 MJ damage capacity), and the standard rlaan armament is expensive as well. Ktek beams cost about 1,200,000 each, and the Taizong (2 heavy mounts, two light mounts, and one special missile mount) can mount two. Grav thumpers cost about 180,000 each, and come with 8 rounds; again, the Taizong can mount two. The special missile I have no idea about (since rlaan normally dislike missiles and hellspawn drones don't fit on the Taizong), so I just filled it up with photon swarms.

Lastly, about the clydesdale maintainance costs, it costs very little, because it's heavy shields protect it from most weaponry (short of capship stuff like pminus beams) and most targets (as in fighters and subcapital ships) are destroyed before they can fire at you.
Space-time
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Space-time »

Thanks guys
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

w03 wrote:The special missile I have no idea about (since rlaan normally dislike missiles and hellspawn drones don't fit on the Taizong), so I just filled it up with photon swarms.
I think I actually stuffed a third grav thumper in there. For some reason, I think its classification matches, or something.
ertw
Trader
Trader

Post by ertw »

The special missile I have no idea about (since rlaan normally dislike missiles and hellspawn drones don't fit on the Taizong), so I just filled it up with photon swarms.
Maybe it's a good idea hacking the game and giving yourself a leonidas (or yavok if Leonidas don't work).
In universe self-describing one-liner which is pretty pathetic.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Yavok and leonidas are the same thing. Yavok is simply the older name that didn't get switched out in the .csv files.
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

so because we are on the topic of hacking how can i hack my save gave in 0.5.0 on mac os? i cant find the save file or any file at all...
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

You bad person! Hacking-shame, shame. :D

Here's some general instructions about how to get there:

First, go into Terminal (or Command Prompt). Go to Shell-New Window-Showall.That tells the computer to show all files.

Next, go into Documents.You're looking for a folder called .vegastrike-0.50. Pretty cryptic name, huh? :mrgreen:

Open it-it should look something like this.
Vs1.jpg
Now, you can do two things. If you want to change ships (add armor, weapons, etc) go to serialized XML. This lets you edit each ship individually. If you want to give yourself different ships, go to saves.

Let me know which you want to do-I'll post a more detailed writeup of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

was looking more to adding a billion credits but ill go with the giving myself a new ship. thanks for the info. in the navy we have a little phrase of "If your not cheating, your not trying."
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

JarnellGondor wrote:was looking more to adding a billion credits but ill go with the giving myself a new ship. thanks for the info. in the navy we have a little phrase of "If your not cheating, your not trying."

OK-so, once you open .vegastrike, go to the "save" file. It should have a bunch of files with the names of your savegames. You have to open the save you want to give money-if you give money to an earlier save, it does not populate the later saves. The top of the save file should look something like this.

Sol/Sol^1356506202112.000000This is your money!^shundi|Vendetta.stock|Maeell/Nethrughem|Taizong.milspec|Izzptipt/Kabzeenz|Goddard.milspec|Iyn/Aenrumaah|yavok|Alleethuh/Goheilru|Nicander.milspec|Sol/Red|Hyena.hunter|Sol/Sol|Ariston.milspec|Sol/Red|Quicksilver.blank|Iyn/Aenrumaah|Taizong.stock|Izzptipt/Ptzyqqh|tesla|Alleethuh/Maahyeelneth|huldra|Iyn/Aenrumaah|yrilan|Sol/Red|Seaxbane|Sol/Red|Dodo.milspec|Alleethuh/Goheilru|Progeny.rgspec|Izzptipt/Trel_meth|GTIO|Sol/Red|Admonisher.stock|Baja/Tkirsa|Ariston.stock|Alleethuh/Dahmahee|Ancestor.milspec|Maeell/Nethrughem|Schroedinger.stock|Sol/Sol|Franklin.hunter|Iyn/Eilynthut|Derivative.stock|Sol/Red|vark|Alleethuh/Maahyeelneth|Beholder|Sol/Sol|Areus.milspec|Sol/Red|Plowshare.stock|Alleethuh/Maahyeelneth|Dostoevsky.stock|Iyn/Aenrumaah|Vigilance|Sol/Red|Hidalgo|Sol/Red|Dirge.stock|Sol/Sol|Convolution.stock|Sol/Sol|Admonisher.rgspec|Sol/Sol|Mule.stock|Sol/Sol 147128000415.859711 10594.831311 4999479967.143948

OK-now, the numbers after Sol/Sol are the amount of money you have. Change that to something large. :D
With the ship hacking-First, buy a dodo.

Go into the save file. The dodo looks something like Dodo.stock. You can change that to any other ship. Capships normally aren't stock or milspec, they're...different. The engine is odd with relation to cap ships. I bolded one capship entry-you simply write the name of the ship in, no .stock or.milspec modifiers. You can look in units CSV to find the names of ships. Don't try giving yourself "dupes," (ships with the prefix of dupe in units CSV), they crash the save, and you have to edit them out.

Have any more questions? :D
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

thanks for the info. also i am new to mac and am having issues with finding it still. the shell new window gives me color set up options..... i is getting confused....
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

JarnellGondor wrote:thanks for the info. also i am new to mac and am having issues with finding it still. tried following the instructions but again to my limited experiance with this type of os couldnt get terminal to open the command line u sent........ did VS load wrong or am i doing something wrong?
Terminal isn't VS-it's part of the Mac OS. So...

Go into Terminal
Go up to the top where it says Shell.
Mouse over "New Window"
Go down to the bottom-there should be an option that says "showall"
Click it. It will restart Finder, and show all files.
When you are done, you can go back to terminal. In the same area, under New WIndow, there should be a hideall
Click that to hide all.

That help? :D
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

found show all in the TERMINAL list but its grayed out and not click able..... this is frustrating......
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

Well, that's odd-it sounds like it's a problem with your OS. VS doesn't do that. You could try manually the try the command by writing "defaults write.com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder" in your standard Terminal window.
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

im not liking mac OS-X.... i have the newest os...... i think ill try it on vista....... i hate vista as well but i may have more luck there
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

found the save files for VS on vista but dont have a program to open them any advice?
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

I do not know how to open them...what's the suffix on the file? If it's a CSV, it should open with Excel. They all *should* open with Textedit.