Get the heck out of my way!

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Get the heck out of my way!

Post by Munno »

I was Specing towards an outpost at extreme speeds when out of no where was a cap ship, I flew straight into it! Unfortunatly, I didn't recognise it at this speed. But seriously, wtf was my auto doing! :x Now I gotta reload damn it... :cry:
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: Get the heck out of my way!

Post by MC707 »

I'm surprised that happened. The capship's gravity well shoulda stopped you, at least to the extent to see that coming. Now that I touch this topic, I wonder if there is the possibility to create a ship like the interdictor star destroyer, which of course can magnify its gravity well to prevent ships from escaping.

My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Really? Wierd... Then I was going damn fast and I slowed down when I was approaching it, but my auto is always doing that so I thought it was normal... And that star destroyer would be interesting...

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

maybe the gravity well did slow down your spec speed, but not your maneuvering speed. you'll find out their difference later on.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

While hacking the units.csv file, I found that a pacifier modified to accelerate and maneuver VERY quickly, with a high combat limiter tends to be unnavagatible with auto-pilot. It would overshoot Planets EVERY time by 10-50 light seconds. I had to manually SPEC to everything. I found that I could control the spec speed with the throttle and in short burst get to my target, otherwise I'd just ping-pong through the system for ... longer than my patience (that was the reason for the fast ship)
I just figured that ships where never tested at that speed. If you were flying a fast ship that might account for the accidental collision.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Atually it was just a Llanna. But then I did upgrade the SPEC and made it lighter for faster cargo runs.... (I was on my way to start a run so I was empty...)

Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Munno wrote:I was Specing towards an outpost at extreme speeds when out of no where was a cap ship, I flew straight into it! Unfortunatly, I didn't recognise it at this speed. But seriously, wtf was my auto doing! :x Now I gotta reload damn it... :cry:
This was a common bug in version 0.4 but was fixed for 0.5, we thought, so check which version you have.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

MC707 wrote:Now that I touch this topic, I wonder if there is the possibility to create a ship like the interdictor star destroyer, which of course can magnify its gravity well to prevent ships from escaping.
I believe I actually saw such a device in one of the csv files. I believe it's installed one some pirate vessels, enabling them to intercept and attack ships in SPEC. I have noticed at least a couple of times where my ship's SPEC multiplier inexplicably dropped (no planets or bases nearby), and suddenly I had a pirate coming after me! :evil: Well, that's what I bought Ktek beams for. :twisted:

You might actually notice this effect early on, when you're still doing the Atlantis/Serenity run. About halfway across the 90LM trip, the SPEC multiplier would drop WAY down for a few seconds, maybe longer, then return to normal. When I checked the system map, I noticed a few Hyenas in the area. I figure the game sets up a pirate group or two there to keep the player from getting too bored. OR, maybe, I just got lucky. :)

Anyway, like I said, I think there IS an interdictor device in the game, but I doubt there's any way you'll get your hands on it without hacking. I'm not even sure you could use it, currently, assuming it's there to be had. I'll have to recheck the csv files when I get the chance...

...unless someone else cares to confirm or deny? :wink:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Interesting. That gives me hope... I really think it is possible to do that. Now we only need to make a huge capship with big, fat gravity well projectors and a (hopefully) little tweaking to xml files and probably the controller binds. Could be some sort of alternate to the ECM device, except this one should be able to be turned off (unlike its ECM counterpart :roll: )
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Bases also use the SPEC inhibitor as they don't want some hotdog to drop out of SPEC just in torpedo range the clocked ones are bad enough to worry about.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Bases also use the SPEC inhibitor
Oh, so the functionality is already there? :o
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

loki1950 wrote:Bases also use the SPEC inhibitor as they don't want some hotdog to drop out of SPEC just in torpedo range the clocked ones are bad enough to worry about.
Oh, is that what causes your ship to slow and drop out on approach? I just figured they work like planets that way. Of course, if that were the case, that would be ONE distinction between ships and bases, wouldn't it?