One heck of a fight

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

One heck of a fight

Post by Munno »

Ok, I started playing VS yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. But I never thought my first "Jump" would be this bad!

I was doing a cargo mission for a hauler, and this was my first chance to leave the starting place. I jumped to Enyo (I think lolz) and straight away there were weapons being trained on me. I believe I was alone at first, but after a while 2 more fighters came. Ok, so I was being shot at by Hyenas, I swivveled round to confront them only to see an armarda of Klk'k cap ships bearing down on me! After destroying the Hyenas I found that the Jump gate was blocked by a damned Mule, so I fought off the rest of the Hyenas. Then several other fighters were upon me, and I was starting to take serious hits from larger craft. I took out about 10 more fighter and that was when I found there were 2 others helping me. Me and these guys destroyed some huge ship (didn't check its name, I was too busy trying not to hit it!) and one of them was killed in the process.

After several more minutes of fighting, I lost sight of the other fighter and tried to SPEC away. Bad Idea. Speced straighting a cap ship and just dodged it, finding I was in the middle of the armarda and wishing I had checked where the Relay I tried to spec to was. I flew in close to the cap ship, and several enemy fighters followed, forced into a fight, I destroyed 2 of them but the fired hit me with some missile and wrecked my steering. Then I was unable to aim and ejected straight into the cap ship!

I do believe I stumbled into an entire invasion force! :shock:
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: One heck of a fight

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Munno yes indeed the universe is generated when you first start he game so in your game the battlefront may be close to the starting system and as you saw the big boys play for keeps :wink: So you might want to go in the opposite direction for awhile till you get yourself a better ship and can give at bit more grief back.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Yeah, the thing is, the Klk'k are quite peacfull in Celphid. Oh and in the other direction are Uln which seem to have it in for me! God I seem to be at war with the universe...

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Uln which seem to have it in for me! God I seem to be at war with the universe...
The Uln don't like anybody really and a massive inferiority complex and they are indeed pesky thank the space gods they mostly fly Dodos with tractor beams always sweeping for salvage they do have the occasional Mule in systems where they are particularly active.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Well, then they are active almost every where! I'm either being attacked by Uln Dodos or LIHW fighters... Not forgetting huge pirate capships everywhere! :x

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Uln Dodos or LIHW fighters... Not forgetting huge pirate capships everywhere! :x
I take it that you have been shooting at those pirates :shock: well they have friends most of them are actually from LIHW systems so the homeies get upset and the Uln being primarily scavengers follow the pirates around sweeping up their leavings so they look on your actions as taking away their livelihood and shoot at the Uln gets even more factions upset as they do preform a useful service keeping the space lanes free of garbage :wink: Try shooting only Luddites for a while that will slowly change the attitudes toward you.

Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

The only pirates I really shot at were a squadron that were chasing me for ages... I didn't know this would come from it! Ok, now only Luddites...

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And from a few of your other posts i would suggested that you start a new game.

Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Restarted and doing reasonably well. I had about 80k and spent it all on upgrades XD. But carrying booze to the Mining station and raw materials back earns quite a bit. Should I get a Plowshare when I have enough?

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Should I get a Plowshare when I have enough?
I wouldn't as they a lumbering cargo ship just a box with engines ;) and a few gun mounts but if you are into trading and being a target for pirates again go ahead :wink:

Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Can you put Turrets on them? I found a Commerce Centre selling them so...

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Munno wrote:Can you put Turrets on them? I found a Commerce Centre selling them so...
Nope, sorry (unless of course you create a new kind of Plowshare by yourself modifying the game files and put it as your ship)

AFAIK, the smallest ship that can accomodate turrets is the Franklin, Andolian diplomatic ship often available as Heavy Hunter/Andolian/Confed ship. Lightning fast, small cargo bay (300); perfect for fast light and juicy cargo runs (AI cores) once you got the money for that, perfect for patrol missions, even clean sweeps against Luddites (don't fight Aera in a Franklin, I'd say :mrgreen: ) become bearable despite targets stationing near planets, as a Franklin with an Overdrive VI can escape gravity wells very nimbly. Yes I'm biased, it's one of my fav ships. :roll:
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Lolz. I wonder if you could make Clyde turn like a light fighter and completely cover itself in turrets. That would be awesome XD :D

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Lolz. I wonder if you could make Clyde turn like a light fighter and completely cover itself in turrets
It's been done :lol: no real need for the extra turrets the Clyde has quite a few as is :wink: but then the game has no challenge :mrgreen: and becomes just an other frag fest :P

JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

One of the most impressive things about VS is it's sense of balance (missing from many open games)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

JsnMtth wrote:One of the most impressive things about VS is it's sense of balance (missing from many open games)
Yep. remember this is a simulator (am I wrong?)
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeap it's a sim but the balancing is all in choosing the stats for each ship in a realistic fashion.

Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Yup, although about 70% of the stats are just nonsense to me... (Gravities!!????) Lolz. :roll:

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nothing that a wee bit of reading on kinematics and some math to understand the first wouldn't cure :wink: It all boils down to Newton's Law and it's ramifications and all that geeky stuff :lol:

Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Believe me, im a damned geek but I'm not a psykick! (Academically rather that Mentally...) :lol: