Dissapearing points.

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Hern
Trader
Trader

Dissapearing points.

Post by Hern »

have had something interesting happen. All manufacturing and commerce facilities have disappeared. I bought my commodities, launched and it was gone lol. any ideas on where they went?
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Dissapearing points.

Post by Turbo »

I have seen that too. I will get a good intra-system trade route established somewhere, but the next time I sit down to play my ship spawns in deep space and the stations I was trading with during the last session are gone. At least the planets don't see to do that, but they're not as profitable.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

I've had this happening to me too, recently, quite a few times, but I thought it depended on me having updated data without having recompiled the executable (SVN).
If your computers were as slow as mine, you could notice that, during loading, sometimes the dynamic universe generation step takes place despite loading an existing game; so, if you had saved the game docked to a facility, you'll most prolly find yourself starting in space. I wonder if the agricultural/diplomatic typos cause a reading error that induces a total universe rebuild...
Hern
Trader
Trader

Post by Hern »

Could be. Although the only thing different about the systems is a lack of commerce and factories. If I understand correctly a complete rebuild would shuffle things around like when I start a new game but the systems are exactly the same other than the missing facilities. The problem with the save game seems to be either the facilities have been deleted were not saved during a save. Trying to figure out the game save files to troubleshoot it a little more. Starting a new game restores them though.

Don't think its a system problem, running AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 6400+ with 2gigs ram and NVIDIA 8600 GTS( i think) video card. Game plays super smooth. Occasional crashes in vista, think its the nvidia driver so might install a different version and try it. Might be possible it crashed during a save before the write-out completed, but I don't remember a crash during saving.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

My nVidia driver crashes in Vista every few play sessions, and I don't think it's the game's fault because it can happen in space, on the concourse, in one of the menus, and once it happened on the startup menu.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.