clean sweep vs. Aera in Sol

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

clean sweep vs. Aera in Sol

Post by peter »

So I guess there are some Aera lurking around Sol that the Confed generals don't feel like dealing with themselves. :shock: Ok, sure Iapetus is a bit out of the way in orbit around Saturn, but you'd think they could deal with any Aera near "Solar Defense:Earth SF 1" (a starfortress) :P I probably won't be able to finish the mission, because the Aera like me, and one ship already got away out of scanner range. (I had to land on Iapetusto avoid crashing into it, because I had to get deep into its gravity well to scan it, and I was really screaming towards it in my Franklin on travel mode. I think I managed to disengage my SPEC drive and hit 'd' at about 4000m above the surface, going ~3000m/s :shock: I was thinking "why does the planet look so weird? like maybe I'm inside it's model or something.... I wonder what my altitude is now..."

How the Aera even got into the system in the first place boggles the mind, since there are fighter bases near the jump points for that exact reason. Maybe they SPECed from another system, bypassing the jump network. Ok, but still you'd really expect the confeds to deal with threats to Sol a little more seriously than farming them out to a bounty hunter. I mean, my rep is pretty good, but they should realize that the Aera like me almost as much as they like me. (which isn't the same thing as me liking the aera, but they still would have given me the mission if I was flying my Nicander :P).

Oh, I forgot to say: yay, I finally got around to going to Sol! :D Pretty cool to have a huge system like that in the game. But I was expecting Saturn to have a gas-giant style landing screen, not the rocky-hills-in-the-background metal landing platform. :?
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: clean sweep vs. Aera in Sol

Post by peter »

peter wrote:So I guess there are some Aera lurking around Sol that the Confed generals don't feel like dealing with themselves. :shock: Ok, sure Iapetus is a bit out of the way in orbit around Saturn, but you'd think they could deal with any Aera near "Solar Defense:Earth SF 1" (a starfortress) :P
Or not. A couple pirate plowshares followed me to SF 1 (which is in orbit around Earth itself), and the Aera that got away earlier flew in and attacked. The starfortress just sent out a couple Seaxbane base patrol ships, at least one of which got shot down, and didn't do anything useful like open up on the Aerus with its guns or anything. Where's some point-defense when you need it? A SF should be able to put some heavy beams onto a lone Aerus only 5000m from it. A Pirate plowshare followed me right into the superstructure of the SF, less than 1000m range. I wanted to see a Starfortress open up a can of whoop-ass, but it just sat there like a big lummox. The fate of the species is not in good hands. :cry:

If you want anything done properly, you have to do it yourself. Apparently including defending Earth. :roll:

And then I un-docked from the starfortress, which smashed into me (probably thanks to non-zero orbital velocity around Sol. When I docked, I had used the Home key to match velocities. Probably I undocked in its path. :( ) It then openned fire, shredding me. So it does have guns, it just doesn't use them on ships that don't directly attack it. Like I said, so much for defending _earth_, not just itself.
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: clean sweep vs. Aera in Sol

Post by MC707 »

I dont think they attack. Not even if they are attacked by bots, since the last time I flew near a starfortress while a punk attacked me actually hit the fortress (the huge shield flashed), but still, it didnt attack the bot (bug?).
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite