Move that star out of my way

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Hystrixx
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Move that star out of my way

Post by Hystrixx »

So here I was, just a jump away from the end of a long journey to deliver some cargo. I target the destination jump, set the ship to auto and just take a look around. I see a big star near by, then my ship turns towards it. I don't care, I know the computer makes this unintuitive turns when its looking to avoid gravity so let it do its thing. A few seconds after that I see it's turning on SPEC and accelerating like always except this time there's a nice, hot, bright star just in from of my ship.
Ok, now I know my ship can't travel through stars but, didn't the computer knew this before?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, this is a bug. I think others have reported the same thing.

However as long as you have some sense of watching the screen I don't think the chances of this are very high--the AI has a lot of bigger issues as well.

Anyway this is worth taking a look into--it might be something as simple as the code ignoring the gravity effects if isSun() returns true.
Digolgrin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Digolgrin »

ace123 wrote:Yes, this is a bug. I think others have reported the same thing.

However as long as you have some sense of watching the screen I don't think the chances of this are very high--the AI has a lot of bigger issues as well.

Anyway this is worth taking a look into--it might be something as simple as the code ignoring the gravity effects if isSun() returns true.
I just so happen to tell you that I get my internet in Ankeny on July 3rd. Yes, blame my dad, he fell asleep on the job of hooking it up on June 23rd (initial date was June 24th). I'd like to say that the AI can be stupid at times in VS. I have an idea for a VS Youtube vid. It's an AMV to the song of Snake Eater (that's after the Virtuous Mission). The start has some VS news showing the Confeds being beaten back across the galaxy. Then the first verse shows some scenic views, before that first refrain (refrains are space battles, with the confeds being on the losing side. But you have to show them fighting back bravely, to show the idea being expressed.) Then the second verse shows some civilian ships going about their beeswax (business) while still doing the scenic views. Then we advance to Earth and the second refrain, showing Earth under attack and the Confeds on their last line of defense. This is where things get climatic, and as the song ends, we show earth falling under the control of the attacking faction.
Michael
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Michael »

I've got this too. In following the path to Earth I ran through two stars. I'm using the latest stable (0.5.0 I think).