Invincible Hyena

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Invincible Hyena

Post by bgaskey »

So I was having a good time killing pirates in my shiny new milspec Derivative w/ dual rlaan KTek beams (7k range 8) ). I took a bounty mission from the local commerce center, flew to the jump point and started blasting hyenas. They died pretty fast. Finally, it was just me and the leader, but I couldn't kill him.
I think his shields were immortal or something. A hyena should die in .5 second getting hit by 2 ktek beams at point blank range, but his lil blue shield did not budge. Finally, I gave up on shooting him, turned around, afterburned away, then shelton slid, turned 180, and fired all my missiles (2FoF's and 12 Dumbfires) at him to no effect.
Finally, I just gave up and went home, cancelling the bounty mission. It was a sad day :cry: .

BTW, my game has 389 kills as of yesterday :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Maybe the AI is jealous of your count :wink: but you are right it should not be happening.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

My guess is it had alot higher level shield than it should have.

Although I can destroy a Thales's shield pretty fast so it must have been a real capship shield.
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

i hate a parade

Post by whatch1 »

Recently while hauling cargo it begame neccesscary to kill a pirate although i had killed three luddies before and my rep was on the rise the uln citizens started to follow me hyena's, then Lama, gleaners i gave them all a wide distance bugging out instead of fighting ignoring insults ect. had a llama max shields best armour 48df 6 iffs 4 micro d's and cargo to deliver then I get one kafkes kept bumping me i got sick of it and turned around and blew him away escaping through the j point a delived the cargo and took another way out but when i jumped into another system there was a squdron of uln llama's got 3 of them as they attacked me then the gleaners jumed in got two of them with dumb fires got another Llama then tried to bug out unfortunatly i had found the red barron of uln pilots. no matter how we twisted no matter how many i hit him his shields never went out completly i went though all of the dumb fires maybee half of the micro drivers ammo his ship got red but always had shields this went on about ten minutes before i gave up with low ammo no missles and no way out of the sytem

Bill
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Complete sentences. Paragraphs. Correct English, or other language if applicable. Otherwise, nobody will understand what the hell you're saying.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

and necroposting...but its not the same problem at least because my invincible hyena had no hull damage after 12 df's.

@Miramor, its not like loki overuses punctuation :wink: 8) :? :lol: :wink: :? 8) :shock: :o :D :wink: 8)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

bad typing skills do tend to keep my missives short :oops: as for punctuation that's for clarity.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

whats a missive :? . Its like the SAT but its in video game forum. wtfomgroflbbqimho. smileys are fun 8) :wink: :lol: :? :) :o :oops: :shock: 8) :idea: :!: :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

What no dictionary even wikipedia would do just an other word for post.letter,note etc. my typing may be bad but i do have a vocabulary :wink: and firefox's spell check helps to.

bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

but spellcheck gets mad whenever i type 'vegastrike' :( or 'milspec' or 'spellcheck'. It doesn't even know its own name :cry:
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

I had intended

Post by whatch1 »

To clean it up later check post time 4 AM where i was posting from i was tried and only thinking in half sentances

summary found uln pilot that i couldn't destroy lama to lama his shields never went out his ship turned red but never blew. i ran low on ammo and quit the game

Ive had a long post disapear on me before some kind of time out thing and wanted a rough draft to finish later istead of losing it all

forgot to post still under construction

boxers fracture right hand never healed right
Can't code Can't type and I run windows xp pro i get ignored most of the time

post was hurried figured i realy didn't expect or want a response

bleepit

Bill

Bill

Bill
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
Momaw
Trader
Trader

Post by Momaw »

I feel your pain with the Uln. For some reasons, they're pirate-lovers. And even if you CAN blast their endless hordes of dodos and gleaners, it's not necessarily something you want to do because everyboy else will dislike you.

This game really needs some concept of "self defense", or at least some factional sanity. The guys are attacking me because I'm acting as an agent of law and order by cleaning up pirates, yet, nobody allows me to shoot them up as they defend the scum of the galaxy... Something screwy there.

:(
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Eh? AFAIK everybody hates pirates. And nobody should object to your shooting down Uln "military" (read: brigand) ships.

There is the problem of "citizen" ships of various factions becoming hostile and following you around, but that happens even if those factions like you - it's a bug.
Momaw
Trader
Trader

Post by Momaw »

Miramor wrote:Eh? AFAIK everybody hates pirates. And nobody should object to your shooting down Uln "military" (read: brigand) ships.

There is the problem of "citizen" ships of various factions becoming hostile and following you around, but that happens even if those factions like you - it's a bug.
In the course of my depraved wandering, I found the wonderful file "factions.xml"... At least in 0.5b, the Uln likes, or is indifferent toward, everybody. So, yeah, you just can't win with them.

Are they supposed to be unlawful types? The wiki doesn't have a useful entry to explain what their story is. If they're supposed to be unlawful (which explains their pirate affinity), I'll just make it so nobody cares about them. But then, I have seen them crawling around in Ox and Yeoman freighters, which sort of suggests that somebody likes them, since those massive ships would be blown out of space instantly if anybody cared to take a shot.

After a bit more looking around, Wikipedia has this to say about them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_Strike wrote: Uln: A minor power and one of only four known extant groups to have achieved interstellar travel on their own, the Uln are of primary interest because their homeworld is the best preserved site known for the study of ancient artifacts. The Uln are ostensibly neutral in external dealings with the major powers, but this is due more to lack of political will and military might to enforce their own opinions than any preference for power-brokering. The Uln are relatively safe from the major powers because access to artifact research sites is perceived as far more of a benefit than any risk posed by the Uln to the major powers themselves.
Which tells me that most factions should like the Uln, however, the Uln government should barely care about anybody else and the citizens don't care at all... But I don't know if that is current data.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

This has got me really confused, as the wiki, I'm sure, used to contain stuff detailing each race, and clarified who the Uln were in some detail... I can't find it now though, am I just being dense? It doesn't seem to have been changed when I look at the history...

EDIT: found it here
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Species:Uln

there should really be a link to that species page from the main wiki page I think, it should be just as important as the guides to modelling etc.
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
Joe B
Trader
Trader

Post by Joe B »

The hyena wasn't invincible all you need is a TON of dumbfire missiles, enough to take out a cap ship.

Joe B
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Say, aren't you one of the artists for Infinity: Quest for Earth?
Joe B
Trader
Trader

Post by Joe B »

if I am I didn't know it

Joe B