Project Lead of Piarmada Changed

Strategic Mod for Vega Strike with tactical and combat view. Currently set in WC universe, but moddable.

Moderator: Omega

legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Project Lead of Piarmada Changed

Post by legine »

Hi all.

I have taken the Project lead of Pi Armada. I try to keep the develop of the game running. Omega is staying with the project but has retired from any active development. Let's hope he will return someday :)

My Roadmap is:
* 0.10 Add support to Linux and Mac OS if possible.
At the moment piArmada only works on Windows. I am working on some changes that will make it possible to run pi Armada on all VS supported OSes. At least I aim at this.
* 0.11 Clearing the reported Bugs
There are some Reported bugs and I try to incorperate the latest changes of Omega into the latest Version if possible.
* 1.x stronger integration of Pi Armada into Vega Strike
For the next generation of Pi Armada I aim at a stronger integration of pi Armada and Vegastrike. Currently Pi Amrada and Vegastrike are quite seperated Programs. I would like to see a direct communication or at least an API between the Vegastrike stuff and the Pi Armada strategic engine. The advances I see from it that I get more flexible in the further development in the game. For example have one place to configure the hole game.

I am not sure atm what the best way is to achieve the stronger integration of the 2 games. I tend to hook into the OGRE engine development in order to avoid massive reconstruction or anything deep changes to the current VS Version. I hope with my Ideas I can benefit the OGRE development of Vegastrike. But I am not sure yet. Have to check things first.

* sideroads
I will try to bring some more Info to the pi Armade sourceforge page, but i am a pretty bad Webdesigner so dont expect to much. (Would like to hook inte the VS page because I looks pretty cool but well dont want stress anybody at this point.

At least that are the current plans.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Cool. 8)
I hope to see how this project turns out.

Another interesting thing to consider is to create PiArmada inside Vega Strike itself, using the new Python GUI system (you see it in the main menu for example).

If there is a feature in that GUI system you don't understand, or Vega Strike's "Base" module doesn't export all the functions that you need to create a full game, I'm sure new functions can be added on the C++ end of things.

Still, it would be best to fix up the external system before moving it into Vega Strike. That way, there can still be a standalone version.

Not sure if you want to redesign all of the code, though. Just a thought I was having.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

hmm intersting Idea.
create PiArmada inside Vega Strike itself,
thats the aim.
using the new Python GUI system (you see it in the main menu for example
cool. Do I need to dl the cvs? or is it already integrated in the 4.3 version of VS?
Not sure if you want to redesign all of the code, though. Just a thought I was having.
Well I fear I have to redisgn a lot because the way piArmada works is not Os independent friendly.
I will take a look at this asap :P

thx the tipp.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Since our actual head to head combat multiplayer stuff is fully operational, it wouldn't be bad to use that to make multiplayer armada... :-)
(ace123 is still working on the cargo trading stuff--but armada just needs combat and results)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Sorry... I missed your reply.

I might be adding calls into the python interface to allow for Privateer Gold cargo trading...
Why not allow python to send and receive messages over the network?
There's already a respawn command, so it should be possible to use that to handle in-game battles.

There's clearly a lot of room for expansion in the multiplayer area.

Of course you might need a sepecial server set up for the armada, but I'm sure this could work.

As to what you need, SVN will give you the latest python interface code.

You might want to download privateer gold to see how it does the upgrading interface (it implements everything we used the C++ computer for)... http://privateer.sourceforge.net/
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Hi,

Sounds great Idea Hellcat. I take it on the wannado list. ^^
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Hmm, there is no Source of Privateer Gemini Gold on their homepage. Do I need to check out svn there too?