Mac port?

Strategic Mod for Vega Strike with tactical and combat view. Currently set in WC universe, but moddable.

Moderator: Omega

Tristan
Explorer
Explorer

Mac port?

Post by Tristan »

Hello

I was wondering if there is a mac port.. I saw on the sourceforge project page that OS X is supported.. but I didn't see a download for it..

any help would be great :D
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The download page does have a link to a DMG (disk image) file for OS X:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/files/

Unfortunately, the 0.4.3 release does not have a universal binary, since it was released before the Intel macs were around. But if you are on a PowerPC, you should be fine.
Tristan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tristan »

hmm.. I see vega strike,which I already have a copy of, but no PiArmada build.. did I miss something? lol..

and it is okie that there is no UB build, as I haven't got an Intel Mac at home yet.. just a PowerPC G5 iMac and a G5 Tower
Last edited by Tristan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oh, I thought you were talking about the vega strike engine... didn't read your post closely enough.

PIArmada is written in Python, which is cross-platform, so it should work under MacOSX as well as under Linux. I believe the download file is just a .ZIP

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that as of late, the flight engine won't work anyway, as it's basically unmaintained software.

I'm not really sure how to get it to run on the Mac, since it uses a python library called PyGame which is a wrapper around SDL. You might have to install that library using Fink.
capi3101
Explorer
Explorer

Post by capi3101 »

Is there an implementation of SDL with Mono?
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Nope you have the same problem the Linux users have.
I haven't found any time fix the problem yet.

But accordingly to Omega the only OS dependent Code is the minimize function he uses when you switch from pi Armada to Vegastrike engine.

I plan to include wxpython, so we can provide Linux and Mac versions too. without having to much trouble with different OS Versions.
But I have not found any time yet to take a closer look or to start working. I hope I manage soon to have some time to start with it.

Ahh, and I have the 0.9 source part of PiArmada. If anyone wants to help and Omega is not available I can send the code I have...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The source code would be nice.

Why not just post it to your sourceforge page?
Or if you are busy, you should be able to attach it here if it is a few megs big.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

hmm thought I said something.
The piProject is not mine. I cant post anything to the sourceforge side.

And somehow I cant find the Mail from Omega whith the code only. I think I will first pull out all Armada stuff from the Widowsversion. I think I try to contackt Omega and try to get access to his space ing before post stuff here.

The port itself as I think it has to be done will be more complicated then I thought...
But I am getting slowly started ;)
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Hi,

Oki, I am actively working on the Port. I promis to find a solution that satisfy Mac OS users too :) But I need a tester. Any mac User I can talk to. Ready to try the code? I makeing some progress.

Anyone is interested contact me please. I would send you some test code from time to time to check out things.

Thanks you :)
Peter