What sounds do you need?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Lowkey
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

What sounds do you need?

Post by Lowkey »

Hi Peeps :D

Your project looks really cool and I´d love to help. I cant program or make tea but I can make sound effects. Tell me what you need and Iĺl try and do it. What format is good for you?

By the way if you asked for help on this site...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=100

They´d probably help too.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Pretty much all of our sound effects at the moment are cheesy or bad.

If you play the game you will notice some targetting sounds that are annoying.

Currently all the sound effects are "16 bit, mono 22050 Hz", mono is intentional because of the positioning effects... however I'm not sure why it's 22050 and not 44100... probably because it saves space and you can't tell the difference with these ones.

Wav is probably just fine for now... though I think it supports OGG so we can convert that later.
Lowkey
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Lowkey »

Hey ace123 :D

I can provide any bit rate or file format you need. Whatever you can use. Does Vega Stike have any modulating features? If it also has midi import you could shrink the amount of size needed and have any quality needed. You could also do really clever stuff like having different sounds for different materials hitting each other.

This guy has a file packaging format...

http://www.energy-xt.com/tutorials/xtc/

He seems like a cool guy. I could ask him if there is anything he can do if you´d like?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

No, it's a very basic audio library. when we used SDL mixer it gave basic general midi support but nothing more,,, now that we have changed to use OpenAL, it will be a lot of work to play anythng other than raw sound data (OGG or WAV).

I think XTC is far too complicated for the format actually stored in the game... and if you use a high bitrate audio file (44100 or 48000) it should be good enough.

However feel free to send us the MIDI/sequencing source files and in the future it might be possible for someone to create different sound effects from them.