How to activate sound effects

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
pwmarcus
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

How to activate sound effects

Post by pwmarcus »

Hello,
I'm runing Vegastrike 0.4.3 from debian unstable, sound is working for the music (in background), but no sound effetcs at all, space is completely silent, no sound when using laser, missiles, engines...

I'd like to know how to activate the soundFX. I guess it must be in the "~/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config", but how ?

When launching the game via the shell, there's a message that could help:

WARNING: no section named sound
Current Path /usr/share/games/vegastrike
Final Path /usr/share/games/vegastrike
Using .vegastrike.4.x as the home directory
Opened audio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo, 4096 bytes audio buffer

Thanks for answering.

Cheers
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You can try running the "vssetup" program... if it complains about a "setup.config", you might need the setup.config file from the data directory (/usr/games/vegastrike or somesuch)...

If the sound is enabled but just not working, maybe it is not able to open two programs at once on your soundcard? What brand is it?

The "Opened audio" message you copied is the Music soundserver, not the sound effects, and they need to mix sounds separately.

To find out if OpenAL is not able to open your sound device, run "vegastrike 2> errors.txt" and then search through "errors.txt" for a string "open sound failed" or "open /dev/[sound/]dsp" in the output... those are the messages that OpenAL displays when it fails.

In that case, you might need to use a sound mixer like DMIX or ESD or aRts, or else get a better/well supported sound card.
pwmarcus
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by pwmarcus »

The sound is working pretty well, but I have no sound effects.

My card is a "Soundblaster live!", and I know it can mix many soundfiles at the same time. (moreover I use Arts (KDE))

I'm going to edit the /usr/share/games/vegastrike/setup.config, so it points to my ~/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config, to see if it changes anything.

Thanks for your message, I'll tell you.

Cheers