Is all your music GPL?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, while that concept of "sources" is dubious at best (I'd consider a music score a better source, but well...), if they all agreed under those terms then I believe it's all set.

I don't know if Falik contacted you, though... I believe it was oblivion who found Falik's work and asked him to contribute. In any case, I have the email where he sent me the "sources" (flac files), with his express permission to use them, perhaps he mentioned something there.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I think your discussion, klauss and hellcatv, is entirely different from the concerns of jwrdegoede. While permission to use includes permission to publish the art together with vega strike, it does not necessarily mean the same as permission to redistribute.

While GPL was and is being used a lot for artwork, this license is specifically created for program code. You must make sources available. In this terms while not the score, the original music files are available in the masters repo. With the emergence of creative commons more and more artists have been applying CC type licenses to their artwork.

The issue here seems not to be the license type. BY (by attribution) and SA (share-alike) are harmless. The issue is NC (non-commercial) which seems to be unacceptable in terms of Fedora guidelines. It would be good to know if Fedora has just one licensing policy (for source and art) or if there are different licenses accepted for source and artwork. CC-NC means: The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only.

The legal interpretation is beyond me, but feeling tells me that this slogan is being correctly interpreted by Fedora. Will have to dig a bit more into this issue.
Last edited by pyramid on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

HellcatV was specifically talking about the artists agreeing to include the music as GPL format (knowing the implications).
However, I don't think there is any specific written agreement they signed, aside from the COPYING file in "music".

The only artist that he did not mention was Falik, so I suppose he is still in question.

There is definitely no question that the creative commons license is not valid in this case.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Ok well 0.5.0 is out... I certainly wasn't aware that anything was being committed without GPL as the license and now I know others have made under the table/off the record/on the forum deals with folks...
but how about lets just kill all art that isn't GPL

GPL or it goes.

And then we'll try to replace what's left by 0.5.1 (We can tag it for folks who need it to be GPL)

And if it sounded good, or the artists wants it in there, then too bad and we nuke it and wait for them to ask for us to put it back. Because I want this to be easy for linux users to install, and as the leader of this project I don't recall personally encouraging anything nonGPL to be included. The project says GPL...if artists upload it themselves, then they should have known better... the license is all over the site and all over the package and installer, etc, so that should be fine.

If they did not, well lets nuke it and not shed any tears for someone making things complex. We have some time till 0.5.1 and may as well do our worst ;-)

This may mean ruffling some old feathers to see if folks who like to help and want to make a difference still want to play nice or not... can we organize a task force somehow?
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I don't see why music should be licensed by GPL only. Public domain, and CC-BY-SA should be equally eligible and create no further problems with commercial or non-commercial distributions.

Artists contributing without mentioning any specific licensing are bound by the same license as the game, GPL. So there is no issue. If licensing terms are different, they are/should be mentioned in the masters license file and can be cleaned up easily until the next release.

Certainly it should be our task and not that of packagers and distributors to clarify with artists the change of licensing terms of their work for VS where needed.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Sounds great :-) so lets talk to the remaining musicians and try to figure out what they'll agree to. GPL and *less* restrictive licenses should be ok... public domain means we can relicense it as GPL without an issue.

Good hunting folks ;-)
jwrdegoede
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jwrdegoede »

Hi All,

Thanks for looking into this. And yes Public Domain and CC without the NC clause is fine for Fedora. For a complete list of acceptable licenses see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

And note that any code licenses also are ok (although sometimes a bit odd) for content like music.

I don't know how far of a 0.5.1 release is, if that still is some time away, can you give me a list of songs in 0.5.0 of which you are sure you've (once upon a time) received permission to distribute under the GPL?

Regards,

Hans
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It looks like the 'nc-sa' might not work. The fedora license page doesn't specifically mention that, but it has "by-nc-sa" as one of the bad licenses (I think the problem is the 'non-commercial' part of it, which restricts the use of the music in some cases.

The ones to take out are:
AyMambo.ogg
artist=Falik
BlackLlama.ogg
artist=Falik
Bliss.ogg
artist=Falik
MezzaMessa.ogg
artist=Falik
SonOfSandFleaRemix.ogg
artist=Falik
InnerChild.ogg
artist=Falik

There are some without attribution in the OGG headers, but I think these were just oversights when converting to ogg.
[Edit]Removed these to avoid confusion -- they are all from old releases and are fine (from ken, petey and zaydana)
Last edited by ace123 on Fri May 02, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

ace123 wrote: The ones to take out are: . . .

SonOfSandFleaRemix.ogg
Noooooooo! :shock:

I love that track. :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You already have it don't you.you don't have to follow the fedora guidelines :wink: as we do for a clean release but we may be able to convince Falik to license these tunes under the GPL :D as i also like all of his tracks 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think the persons who have had contact with Falik should try to convince him of the benefits of more flexible licensing on his songs.
I, for one, really really love these new songs Falik did--and I would definitely love to see them in future Vega Strike versions

Remember: in order to remove songs we need to remove them from the .m3u playlists.

As for the september 2003 songs those are either peteyG's or Ken Suguro's. Either way they're kosher for sure--
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I have confirmed--that second list of songs I posted is all okay, so that just leaves Falik's music tracks then.

I think Klauss is going to try and get in contact with him over the next few weeks...

As hellcatv says, in addition to removing Falik's tracks from music, you will also have to remove them from the ".m3u" playlists. Here's a list that I found from grep:

playlists/battle/aera.m3u (AyMambo, SonOfSand)
playlists/battle/rlaan.m3u (BlackLlama)
playlists/battle/terran.m3u (MezzaMessa)
playlists/peace/around_sig/aera.m3u (InnerChild)
playlists/peace/away/aera_friend.m3u (AyMambo)
playlists/peace/away/rlaan_hostile.m3u (Bliss, BlackLlama)
playlists/peace/away/rlaan_friend.m3u (Bliss)
playlists/peace/away/aera_hostile.m3u (AyMambo)
playlists/peace/away/terran_hostile.m3u (MezzaMessa)
playlists/threat/aera.m3u (AyMambo, SonOfSand)
playlists/threat/rlaan.m3u (Bliss, BlackLlama)
playlists/threat/terran.m3u (MezzaMessa)

If they are there but the ogg files are missing, it should try to skip them but it would be better if they were replaced with some of the other songs.
jwrdegoede
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jwrdegoede »

Thanks for the list!

I'll start working on updating vegastrike in Fedora to 0.5.0 right away and add a music package.

p.s.

Yes any CC license containing NC is not going to work for Fedora, while we greatly prefer to also not have any ND clauses in there either.
jwrdegoede
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jwrdegoede »

Hi All,

Thanks to the info you provided, a vegastrike-music package is now on its way to Fedora. It is currently awaiting review before it can be imported into the Fedora package collection.

I've also updated vegastrike to 0.5.0 for the upcoming F-9 and later.

Regards,

Hans
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx Hans looking forward to joining the swarm for F-9 :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, finally answering the initial question of this thread:

All our music is GPL.

Falik just confirmed me it's ok for us to distribute his tracks under such license.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Victory! Open source triumphs again. 8)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Excellent!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy: I love Falik's music, so this is a big win

Lets distribute it all with every linux distro :-)
jwrdegoede
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jwrdegoede »

Thats good news! And thanks for sorting this out, I'll start working on updating Fedora's packages so that Falik's music is included.
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Is all your music GPL?

Post by kensuguro »

and to clarify (dropping in from a long absence), all my stuff is free as in beer and love, and peace. Or wait.. maybe love isn't free.. and peace is darn expensive too!
Anyway, you guys can do with it what you wish. I just don't have MIDI for it or anything. The OGG or mp3 you have is final, and best I can give is the original wav versions of them. (I'm not sure if I still have all of it) I just hope that more new talents will come in and totally replace all the old stuff if it hasn't happened already! haha. I dream of some day having time to add or replace my own stuff.