Preliminar music tracks&playlists available for trials

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Preliminar music tracks&playlists available for trials

Post by klauss »

Hi guys.

I've just finished remastering, categorizing, testing and punching in old/new tracks.

Let me clarify:
  • Old tracks have been renewed.
    • Their dynamics all changed up, compression artifacts minimized, and a bunch of other cool stuff - the most important being dynamics adjustment, so now they shouldn't startle people when they appear (let me know if there's any track that still does it).
  • WIPs from Zaydana included.
    • Zay, first sorry for including WIPs, but I really think they're good enough as they are (I'm talking about Machina and Trapped) and, though if/when you have finished versions I'll be glad to process&commit them, I found them as they are right now very fitting for human playlists (more on this later), so I couldn't help it.
  • WIPs from m1ck included.
    • They were fit for Rlaan music - i'll get into this later
  • Falik's tracks making appearance.
    • Falik has kindly allowed us to use his tracks in Vega Strike and used they've been. I found them particularly suitable for one race and only one, but more details on this later.
Ok, while doing this, I found (I think) promising styles for Human/Rlaan/Aera.

Aerans get quite characterized (IMO) by Falik's SonOfSandFleaRemix (its first section), mostly because of the obsessive thingy I can only refer by the technical term of "gigigigui".
Since Falik's music is highly characteristic and recognizable, very few tracks of his were usable for non-Aeran races following this decision. In fact, the few I did use for others I did with considerable reluctance, and I'd expect them to be replaced eventually.

Rlaan, on the other hand, get characterized in my mind by the existing IndustrialMixed. I dunno why. Following that line, m1ck's tracks "Docking Procedures" and "Depression Chamber" turned out to be quite fitting.

For Humans, I found myself quite fond of Zaydana's Mission track - dunno why, but quite a great track. Ken's tracks are great, but they're a wee bit too heterogenous for the required unity. Zaydana, in contrast, has been apparently sharing a common theme among several of his tracks: Mission, Machina & Trapped all seem to be based on the same concept. Thus, giving them an inherent group identity.
Though I'm for heterogeneity for humans, current tracks are a bit too much. I'd support "style" heterogeneity, as long as a common theme peeks here and there to add the require nexus.

So... I made Zay's tracks part of the human playlist, retaining most of the old tracks (Zay's tracks can't handle all situations, sadly, but I'd use them as a template).

That is my opinion.
Let's hear yours.

Note: In case it wasn't clear, you get the new music by checking out from https://svn.sourceforge.net/vegastrike/trunk/music, but you'll also have to update the playlists in https://svn.sourceforge.net/vegastrike/trunk/data4.x/.vegastrike/playlists

Note: FLAC versions are available, but not online. They make up about 570MB, and uploading them is... well... hasslesome. If there's enough interest, I might upload them, but soundserver does not yet play FLAC (you'd have to turn them into WAV first).
Last edited by klauss on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Re: Preliminar music tracks&playlists available for tria

Post by www2 »

klauss this is good news!!!!

meby a idea:
we can make a cd with the curent set of music that we hef in game...

and this is a wip that i hef make for the front cover for the cd box
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

just for the record, mission, machina and trapped are all finished, unless you want to EQ them or master them or something klauss. Also, they were actually completely seperate tracks from different inspirations :-) But i'm glad you could find some unity in them anyway :-p

My friend has a few tracks he might be able to put in as well made in garageband... when they are finished i'll put them up.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

klauss nailed the dymamics they sound great in game 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

zaydana wrote:just for the record, mission, machina and trapped are all finished
I don't remember you saying so, but so much the better :D
zaydana wrote:unless you want to EQ them or master them or something klauss.
I always do that - and did.
zaydana wrote:Also, they were actually completely seperate tracks from different inspirations :) But i'm glad you could find some unity in them anyway :-p
I guess it's your mark then ;) - in any case, good fit for human factions. And after playing a bit, some of the original old tracks make a good match too. But not all. I'll try to pinpoint the odd ones.
zaydana wrote:My friend has a few tracks he might be able to put in as well made in garageband... when they are finished i'll put them up.
Cool!
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

zaydana wrote:machina and trapped are all finished, unless you want to EQ them or master them or something klauss.
It just occurred to me: I wouldn't mind having the flp to re-render them, so that I can produce HQ FLAC versions. flp or a FLAC, but I bet it's easier to send the flp ;)
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:( I'm busy with the finals atm. But I'll try my best to get hold of the files this weekend. I'm not gonna judge em. hehe. :oops: I'm just glad it's getting attention. :D

From loki's reaction.. I can tell people will actually start turning the music on ingame. lol.

@www2:

that would introduce too much legal entanglements. Like... will the cd be commerially sold. etc etc. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Oblivion wrote: @www2:

that would introduce too much legal entanglements. Like... will the cd be commerially sold. etc etc. :wink:
lol i dont know...
i hope yes!!!
only the devs and the makers of the music can see it ;)
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Post by kensuguro »

nice. I was wondering, in terms of delagation, wouldn't it make sense to just have a specific person, or maybe a team stick to a specific race. Seems easier to coordinate things when it's just between 1 or 2 persons reporting back to mission control, than to have a delagation pool of "everyone".

This will create a sort of sound discontinuity between races, which could be a good thing if we can keep it within a reasonable amount.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

kensuguro wrote:nice. I was wondering, in terms of delagation, wouldn't it make sense to just have a specific person, or maybe a team stick to a specific race. Seems easier to coordinate things when it's just between 1 or 2 persons reporting back to mission control, than to have a delagation pool of "everyone".

This will create a sort of sound discontinuity between races, which could be a good thing if we can keep it within a reasonable amount.
Very very true.
Until now, that wasn't done primarily because there's too few people to cover the three races (did you read that right? Ya... we don't have 3 stable composers... even stretching the "stable" part ;) )

But yes, that should be done.
I guess anyone willing to compose should see with which stile he/she feels more comfortable and, hopefully, that race won't be overstaffed already.

Ken... did you listen the tracks? Did you listen them according to their assignment? I'd like feedback on the racial styles.

For instance, I liked the industrial stuff on your industrial track for rlaan. Don't ask why, it just screamed rlaan the very first time I listened to it (that's why I made it the "splash music" for the rlaan splash screen).

For aerans, I mostly used Falik's stuff. So it's a very specific style, maybe hard to imitate. In fact, your aeraxxxpeace/battle tracks fit only marginally, but the style change is a bit refreshing after a while of purely Falik-ish stuff so I don't mind the difference.

For humans... well... it's a lottery.

I think nothing can move forward without some official words on overall racial styles, and regardless of how clear it is on the opening post, my main motive for this announcement was to get feedback on that.
Wing Commander Universe
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Post by kensuguro »

hey klauss, how do I get the files? I clicked on the sourceforge link, and I get not found.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry for that, I just fixed the link.
I guess few people use the link, most just run "svn update".
Wing Commander Universe
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Post by kensuguro »

I think dpression chamber works really well for aera actually, maybe a sans the "robot" whispers.. But the basic minor , minimal, pad approach works for me. I'd flesh it out with a more robust pad sound tho, for variation, and for the other songs. The emotion I think is right with this one. Just sad.

sonsofflearemix is nicely done in itself.. maybe a little busy for aerans.. not sure.. the theme itself is okay, just not sure of the percussion. But anyhow, as you may have read in the brainstorming post, this may head off into a different direction. the inherent mid-east-ness is sort of a no-no for me too, a little too specific.

The thing is, I think we should keep it at this for now, definitely use this for the deploy package for now, as the mastering work sounds great.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

kensuguro wrote:I think dpression chamber works really well for aera actually, maybe a sans the "robot" whispers.. But the basic minor , minimal, pad approach works for me. I'd flesh it out with a more robust pad sound tho, for variation, and for the other songs. The emotion I think is right with this one. Just sad.
I think I see where you're going.
Like "the universe is a depression chamber... of the emotional kind.".
Interesting.
kensuguro wrote:sonsofflearemix is nicely done in itself.. maybe a little busy for aerans.. not sure..
I purposedly seeked such activity. I had a more "aggressive, I'll catch you before you catch me" concept. But your "sad" concept might work too.
In fact, what about having both?
Busy, aggressive style for hostile situations, sad for peaceful ones. Like... it's too peaceful: death must be closing.

The most important stylistic aspect that I think gives the aeran selection some unity is its harmonic arrangement: kind of messy. Frequent disonances, mismatchs, sensible violations... (probably not technical jargon - sorry, only superficial musical knowledge here). That all adds up to an alien atmosphere. Falik's not always like that, I specifically chose those pieces that were.
kensuguro wrote:the inherent mid-east-ness is sort of a no-no for me too, a little too specific.
Yes... I like the beginning of sons of flea, mostly. Then it turns mid-eastern and I could let that go if I could (if it weren't such an integral part of Falik's identity - every piece of his has such sound).
Wing Commander Universe
m1ck
Trader
Trader

Post by m1ck »

hi,
thanks for including a couple of my soundtracks - i feel very honoured.

AM i right in thinking the "cosmostation crowded" soundtrack is by Ken Seguro - if so, hats off to him...Absolutely fantastic!.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ya, that one's Ken's work. Pretty cool musicalization of ambiance huh?
Wing Commander Universe
m1ck
Trader
Trader

Re: Preliminar music tracks&playlists available for trials

Post by m1ck »

Thats great news, thankyou.