WTF??

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

WTF??

Post by Phlogios »

I didn't even know there was sound in Vega Strike! I'm using a mac and I haven't heard a single sound effect. I don't know what Oblivion is talking about, saying that the lasers sound too much like "psheew psheew". I have only heard music, and I often turn the music off because it really gets on my nerves after ten minutes.
???
Maybe the next Vega Strike will have added sound effects?
Maybe not, probably depends on how real you guys want the game to be. Remember, in space, no-one can hear you scream!
Whatever
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hm... it's too bad we have very very few macs (and even less mac developers) available to us. I bet that's a bug, or at least a portability issue.

VS uses OpenAL for its sound output, on all versions, but maybe OpenAL isn't available for macs, or it doesn't work right.

But... in case it's the same than with linux, try disabling music - some linux systems with nonmixing audio hardware tend to have only music or only sound effects, but not both. Try disabling music, and see if the sound effects appear. If that's the case, you have to make your computer do "cooperative software mixing" - that is, mix the sound output of two separate processes (Vega Strike uses two processes - the game itself, and the SoundServer, the one responsible for music). I would believe macs already do that, but... well... maybe not.

Of course, it could also be that Vega Strike was built without OpenAL support for the Macs for some reason or other - that rules out sound effects for you, sadly. We hope to get a better soundsystem eventually.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Thanks for the info. Turning the music off didn't work though. I know Open AL is mac-supported, so the problem must be something else, like you said. :(
I hope you developer guys get more macs! :D I'm using a MacMini! It's a really slow computer, but VS works on it.
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

For some reason , sound is sometimes doused or stopped for a short while (version 0.4.3) especially during combat. Well , sound from my own guns as far as I know.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Well it doesn't work at all for me. :(
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Weird, all i can say is that I don't remember ever having problems on my mac. either way, I can now saftely say that I definitely have no problems using current (subversion) code :-) So next release should be sweet!

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Great! Though it might just be my 2 macs having problems.
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

I don't have a mac myself, but I've run into similar problems before with commercial gaming and PC's, but the difference in bits can do it too. Depending on the generation of Mac/Apple, the computer can interpret anywhere from 2 bits to 128 bits at the same time, last I heard.

So, that could be the reason why mac support is pretty much on it's own, other than the incompatibility of most of its hardware without hacking, much like the gateways.

Speaking of Gateways, since I just brought up the fact that certain gamers on that platform may have problems because of hardware issues, think we could make a support thread for them? The amount of Gateway gamers is so small we could do without it, but it would still help organize things like that if the prob ever arises.