Music Committee - Call for Membership!

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
SolusLunes
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SolusLunes »

loki1950 wrote:Welcome SolusLunes I'll have listen when i get a chance 8) there have been some discussions on style and such for each faction have a look and add your comments.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Will do. Already schooling some people on free software... :p

Much better if you actually are willing to pay some money for, for example, REASON >:(
Prometheous
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Prometheous »

Will do. Already schooling some people on free software... :p

you wouldnt happen to be any good with FL XXL 6, or know anywhere i can get some plugins? for free perhaps?
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

Hi all, and welcome to the new recruits! I've been busy with some film music/sound projects in the past while and so I haven't had time to be around here, but I still intend to help get this initiative off the ground.. so, the music committee is not dead, just delayed a bit :)
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Reply: Music

Post by Psycodeine »

Hi, I'm Jon, and I am an amateur electronic musician. For about the last year, I have been refining my technique, and so far have produced 7 pieces of electronic music which are individual work. Not all the ideas are original, but most of them are. I have been in various classes concerning music, I have studied it for the last 7 years, and I play two instruments in my free time. Unfortunately, I might not be able to contribute to this project very much because of time constraints, but I can give a sample of my work. I do not wish to be in any leadership position, but if there is any need for original (electronic music), I could help a little. Overall, I like the music in VegaStrike. Ken Suguro does an awesome job! For a sample of my work (7 tracks), I will post a reply.
Last edited by Psycodeine on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Reply: Music

Post by Psycodeine »

jnfstnet565 wrote:Hi, I'm Jon, and I am an amateur electronic musician. For about the last year, I have been refining my technique, and so far have produced 7 pieces of electronic music which are individual work. Not all the ideas are original, but most of them are. I have been in various classes concerning music, I have studied it for the last 7 years, and I play two instruments in my free time. Unfortunately, I might not be able to contribute to this project very much because of time constraints, but I can give a sample of my work. I do not wish to be in any leadership position, but if there is any need for original (electronic music), I could help a little. Overall, I like the music in VegaStrike. Ken Seguro does an awesome job. For a sample of my work (7 tracks), I will post a reply.
The website is: http://www.virb.com/psycodeine. Enjoy. BTW: All my music is made with Psycle 1.8.5: http://psycle.pastnotecut.org/portal.php. I have 290 VSTi instruments/effects that I got free online.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome jnfstnet565 as i have said before real life seems to have over come but that does not mean we are not interested :wink: have a look at the brainstorming threads for some idea of the stylistic requirements for our various factions.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Music Committee - Call for Membership!

Post by kensuguro »

yup. still haven't given up on the committee yet. I have no way to contribute, but will definitely offer advice and help. I think the rule of the game is first come first served. Just do the tunes, bundle a good set, and stick it in the game. The "just do" part has been greatly lacking in the past couple of years.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Sounds like a plan kensuguro get things moving at least.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
scherzo
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by scherzo »

Hello,

I'm an accompanist with occasional delusions of being a composer. However, I've worked with a lot of composers (delusional and otherwise!) ranging from more or less cutting edge/avant-garde styles to, well, things I can actually play. Since this is of course electronic music being developed, I'm probably somewhat useless, but I like this game rather a lot and would like to contribute in some way, shape or form to it, time somehow miraculously permitting. :)

Cheers,

- John Chernoff

Currently Somewhat Buggy Website: http://www.humboldt.edu/~jac107
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

As Ken mentioned post something and we get some options from the current active members and the devs and we commit it to svn :lol: Hopefully with positive feedback :wink: Had a listen to your a few of your samples as ken also said good use of the pallet, as for the your site not buggy as far as i could see :)

yuzienborn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by yuzienborn »

Dont you hate those bastards that reply to a thread 8 days before it is archived?

You people have done a really fabulous job on this game. Especially, I must note... when what song plays.

When I started playing, I told everyone how wonderfully serene it was, as I was only doing cargo runs and hadnt pissed anyone off. Once I started bounty hunting, I got the really hype tracks.

Most likely, this Committee has been decided upon a year ago. However, if not, i've been an electronic (breakbeat) DJ/Producer for about 15 years or so, and I feel I could be of some use in voting.

Once again, you ppl rock for all your work on this... I think I'm going to go shoot some pirates now.
darkbake
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by darkbake »

Hey. I am a musician who would like to compose for Vega Strike. I have been doing rock music for the last 10 years, started in rap. I run the recording studio at my college. I have completed around 10 albums, and have been using synth with my rock music lately, I am guessing that this synth / orchestral is more suitable for the game. I have sample synth tracks available. I am willing to make whatever tracks are needed, just let me know.

darkbake@gmail.com
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I'm of a scientific bent, so I can suggest where work might be needed.

If you look in the game files, somewhere around C:\Program Files\Vegastrike51\win32\data\music (your path may vary), you'll find the current music in the game. But the better way to approach it is to look in \Vegastrike51\win32\data\.vegastrike\playlists where the playlists are organized into folders according to the situation:

Code: Select all

battle 
peace
  around_sig (near a nav point owned by...)
  away (not near a van point in system owned by...)
threat 
Within each folder are playlists for different factions. Inside these playlists, the main factions have different amounts of music specific to them. Not counting repeats, they have the following number of songs available:

terran: 2 battle, 3 peace, 1 threat
rlaan: 1 battle, 3 peace, 0 threat
iso: 1 battle, 1 peace, 0 threat
aera: 3 battle, 1 peace, 0 threat

So you can see we are short of faction-specific threat music in all cases, and also battle music for rlaan and ISO, and peace music for ISO and aera. There are playlists for a faction called AWACS but the code seems to use them interchangeably with ISO, so my guess is the name changed some years ago and we can ignore them.

Look in http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =29&t=7196 for some ideas on what the music should sound like. For example, I like the idea someone had of playing substantially the same song, with different tempo/tone/etc to give its different versions a feeling of peace, threat, or battle.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.