Suggestions for Improving VS Music Situation

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok - let me add that at each meeting, each section should have a unified (let's let the details of that to the specific organization of each section) progress report as first post.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

All looks good, Klauss.. Exactly what I had in mind in terms of meetings, etc, just a few things changed on the names front..

Quorum at 51% sounds ok? (Quorum is just the minimum number of members that have to vote on committee decisions on major changes that require a vote like accepting by-laws, cancelling projects, starting major new undertakings, etc... if quorum is not present at a meeting, such major decisions cannot take place).. I set it purposely low in case there were people missing from the meeting we would not want it to prevent major decisions from being deferred and holding up other aspects of development..

We need to have a clause where committee members who disappear for a long period of time get removed from the committee.. I've been on a real-life committee where quorum was hardly ever attained becuase a few members missing 90% of meetings, greatly hindering the project progress.. due to the lack of a clause for removal in the committee by-laws there was no way to free up those seats for new members..

That's especially a concern here for other reasons.. If a committee member gets tired of working on this project and stops contributing, stops showing up to meetings for a long period of time and someone new and eager is available we need to make sure we can free up that seat.. also the committee at a meeting (as long as quorum is reached) should be able to vote someone off the committee for a number of reasons

Feedback??

BTW Is there a chance we can get a page set up on the VsWiki for the Music Committee? It wouldn't have to be linked in to anything at this point.. just something where we can post up the mission statement, structure and by-laws, how meetings take place and later who is on the committee.. That way when we do calls for members to join the committee we can just link to the wiki page..?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't know about quorum and that kind of stuff.
I'm mostly thinking about that in an informal way... in that, if someone appears MIA, it would be brought up in a meeting and discussed, just like anything else.

Noone should expect anything else. It's a comunity-driven development, and hence a comunity-driven commitee - if the community feels you're no longer helping, you're out of the loop. That doesn't mean out of the project, just out of decision-making, since you've proven yourself unhelpful in decision-making.

Perhaps you'd like to make something like that part of a statement or clarification or something, to make clear that inclusion or separation from the commitee does not relate to contribution, but rather decision-making. If you contribute a lot of high-quality art, but aren't at all helpful (or possibly even obstructing) in decision-making affairs, you're a staff member, not a commitee member. Nothing good or bad about that, it's just the place where you can help the most, and bother the least.

BTW: About quorum for decisions, it's highly dependant on the current commitee composition. Suppose we're tightly staffed (forget understaffed for now, though we'll be understaffed at first). Say, only one guy per section. That means having less than 100% quorum is problematic for an important decision. I'd say quorum requirements should be easily changeable, say in a meeting. It's not like in a company that you're competing againstr corruption and who knows what, we can have the luxury of highly informal proceedings because we operate on the basis of good will.
Last edited by klauss on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander Universe
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

klauss wrote:Perhaps you'd like to make something like that part of a statement or clarification or something, to make clear that inclusion or separation from the commitee does not relate to contribution, but rather decision-making. If you contribute a lot of high-quality art, but aren't at all helpful (or possibly even obstructing) in decision-making affairs, you're a staff member, not a commitee member. Nothing good or bad about that, it's just the place where you can help the most, and bother the least.
Excellent idea.. that should deal with my concerns yet keep the policy overhead down to a minimum...

I'd say we're about ready for a call for membership then? We just have to get all this put in one message (or a wiki page) and start a seperate thread to call for participation in the committee..

Mike
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oops - edited while you were posting, about quorum.
Wing Commander Universe
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

I added a music committee page on the VsWiki at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Music_Committee

I copied and pasted the relevant stuff from this thread.. Please look through and make edits, additions, etc as necessary.

Mike
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oops - I don't think I can do it in the 5 minuts I have left.
It'll have to wait a bit - be patient please.
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I added a music committee page on the VsWiki
Will read it at home. :)

I want nothing to do with decision making and stuff. :wink: My time online is irregular.

Not sure if I can help in anything in the music section now. :lol: I could probably help out a bit with the story parts. At least a bit of species background.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

I've done some more editing of the page and fixed it up somewhat:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Music_Committee

Please review again to see if there is anything you want to add.. I'd like to get some feedback so we can post a call for participation in the Committee.

Oblivion - As the meetings would be taking place in message boards, you would not necessarily have to be online at the exact time when it started.. You have taken a good deal of initiative in trying to improve the music of the game, even though you are not a composer.. I think you would probably work well on the Committee.. at the very least I would suggest you keep the option in mind until we find out how many other people we can get to participate and what their qualifications/attitude are.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D yep, sure I'll help in any way I can. But I'll leave the music decisions up to music people who actually know the stuff. But I'll add my input and help to music development, don't worry. :wink: I'll be doing some artwork stuff in the meantime, so I'll be a bit busy. Finishing up the two approved models and then defining Shipstyles first.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Mike Ducharme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Ducharme »

Klauss.. klauss.. quiet as a mouse..

Any feedback from you? Should I proceed with a call for participation?

Mike
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

squeak.

maybe you should. Klauss did mention he was going to be busy. :wink:

rigelan and bjorneredtail are interested, methinks. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry... I've been busy like hell.
Couldn't even read the forums.

The wiki seems fine.
Feel free to start gathering comitee nominees, I'll still be busy for a little while longer. I just finished working on a couple final workshops (not exams - it's like a monograph, but a bit more hands-on), and still have one left to do (this one's a real monograph).
I'm likely not going to be able to check the forums for the weekend and nearby days because of that, because checking them takes a bit too much time (you know, because to avoid loosing the "new post" markings I have to read everything in one session, and when I'm doing those school thingies against time I can't spend all that time foruming... it's an inspiration hazard).

Ok... anyway, everything seems fine. Go ahead as you see fit: poll, for instance, or whatever other means you think are best. I have no preferred method.
Wing Commander Universe
starfortress2
Explorer
Explorer

Post by starfortress2 »

Make sure the licensing is clear before inclusion (GPL, aswell as maybe a 2nd dual license for non-gpl games if the author wants that in addition).

Also ask for the midis/rosegardenfiles/whatever so it can be played with if need be (improved, volume in 1 track upped etc, looked at and admired).
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

This thread has not been active for nearly a year.
More active topics are (by default) sorted to the top of the list.

When a thread is this old, it is usually better to start a new thread that more directly addresses the issue of concern. But, ONE new thread is usually sufficient. As people typically read all of the new posts in a forum, it should not be necessary to ask the same question in every thread vaguely relating to your topic of concern.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.