Magnatune offers free licensed music

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Magnatune offers free licensed music

Post by Oblivion »

Bjorneredtail suggested Magnatune as a good source of free music and I went ahead and posted a message in their forums.

And it seems, they're willing to help. ;)

The thing is - I'm not qualified for the music portion of VS. hehe. So if anyone would like to open correspondence with Magnatune in place of me, please email me:

astepintooblivion at yahoo.com

Or check out their forums at:
http://forum.magnatune.com/read/messages?id=79329

I'll forward you the email addresses of their director of licensing. And also an offer from one of their artists, Falik, making folk techno (so there really is such genre. lol) who is willing to help in case there are problems with Magnatune licensing.

So... please don't pass up this chance, people. :) I need help in the licensing thing as well as the specifics of VS's music needs. I'd gladly pass this task to whoever's in charge of music. :wink:

Thanks heaps to Bjorneredtail for pointing the way to a great site. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I looked through your thread. CC-BY-NC-SA should work fine... as a matter of fact, VS's current music is dual-licensed under the GPL and CC-NC-SA 1.0. As long as we add them in the AUTHORS file, and specify the license (perhaps along with a copy of it), we should be able to include the music.

All it really means is that if somebody wants to sell VS on CD or the like, they aren't allowed to include the magnatune music if they are making a profit off it. The normal VS music can still be optioned under the GPL which allows for-profit reproductions.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Klauss: okey doke. But, in the meantime, I'll see if I could get samples of the music, w/o having to purchase it. :wink:

@Halleck: They pretty much said the same thing. So how does this work? I ask music from them... then write to their authors asking permission? I think I could do it. But it'd take longer tho. :wink:

Creative Commons and GPL have no problems with sharing?
Would it be necessary for the music files to be in a specific format?

.ogg?

or is it okay if we use .mp3. Since the playlists are in .m3u, I've used .mp3 and .wma music files before, and in my previously mentioned soundserver problems, I'm not sure if that's okay.

here's a site I'm looking at, the artist (or artists?) , Trance Wave. I'm not sure if they're licensing is adequate, but the artist seems cool about using it. I'm DLing his music atm, I'll listen to them when I get home. If I find hopefuls, I'll ask the author for permission, then post links here, then you could all decide if it sounds good. Licensing, I'll leave it all up to you people.

http://www.schnable.net/hosted/trancewa ... loads.html

and another artist form Magnatune: Falik

http://magnatune.com/artists/falik

http://falikshow.com

BTW: Falik has a lot of songs that has a LLAMA on the title. lol
Talk about VS Music.

Kiss Of the Spider Llama
Llama Mia
Le Dolce Llama
Black Llama

It seems,it is not only the Sims of Maxisland that are obsessed with these animals. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oblivion wrote:It seems,it is not only the Sims of Maxisland that are obsessed with these animals. :lol:
Yep, Karl(*) is obsessed with them too.

(should I be ashamed of even knowing who Karl is?)

(*) You know... from Jimmy Neutron
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oblivion wrote:@Halleck: They pretty much said the same thing. So how does this work? I ask music from them... then write to their authors asking permission? I think I could do it. But it'd take longer tho. :wink:
Writing for permission is not neccessary, the whole point of Creative Commons is that the authors are granting automatic permission to you as long as you respect their terms (which differ from license to license).
Creative Commons and GPL have no problems with sharing?
There can be conflicts in a dual-licensing scheme or with restrictive CC licensing. I'd rather not think about it now to be honest... last time I brought this up nobody here seemed to care.
Basically, we can cover our asses by making sure there's a visible disclaimer stating which songs are under which license, and invoking the "mere aggregation" clause of the GPL for non-GPL licensed songs. We also need to make it clear that NonCommercial CC songs may not be distributed on for-profit CDs of VS or the like.
would it be necessary for the music files to be in a specific format? .ogg? or is it okay if we use .mp3.
It would be nice to get the music in a lossles format like wav/flac and encode it as ogg vorbis. If all they have available are mp3s, it's probably best to leave them that way, to avoid transcoding loss by converting from mp3 to ogg. Assuming that soundserver can play mp3's, I was under the impression it could.

The only problem with mp3 is the restrictive licensing scheme on the format itself... I'm fuzzy on the details, but you avoid all that with an open (and just plain better) format like ogg vorbis.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I didn't much like TRance Wave's music.

But please please listen to Falik's music, people. It rocks!
You can download individual music in .mp3 formats from the link to his site I posted above.

Need feedback on what you think of it and where it might be suited.

Methinks, it's suitable for one particular faction only. But VS seems unstructured as yet to recieve different music types for each faction... Anyway, Please tell me what you people think of it.

@Klauss: Jimmy Neutron is nothing to be ashamed of. I'd be more ashamed of watching and loving Chicken Little. hehe. I did hate Valiant though, but I watched it all the same.

@Halleck: Okay, I'll ask Falik if we could obtain his music in .ogg. But before that, I need to be sure, you people also like his music. :wink:

Got to go now.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Let me listen to it at home, but from what I could just listen I think a few tracks could be fitting. What faction? Hard to say. A human one for sure.
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Forsaken, methinks. I'll be petitioning JackS soon to solidify faction identity. I'm still thinking up the things I'll be submitting to him for rejection/approval as additions to VS fiction. I've started with the Saahasayaay.

Sadly though, Falik's music seems to be fitting only for one faction. But it shouldn't detract us from integrating a lot of his music. (I shudder to think what it would do to VS file size, once all the music gets filled in. Separate downloads, perhaps?)

From what I can tell with current music files, there are no Forsaken music. So, I'll be DLing all of Falik's music now, and start picking out which I think suits.

Am I right in thinking there are 4 main music kinds for each faction?:

1.Peace - background music when traversing space with no hostile ships.

2.Battle - Adrenaline-pumping music for battles.

3.Station Music - background music when docked in a station or a planet, differentiated from ambient sounds (ambient in stations would be clanking, alarms, conversation, etc.).

4.Victory & defeat - the victory ditty sounds corny to me. :wink: A shorter one woyuld suffice, I think. Would it be good to differentiate victory & defeat music by faction?

Suggestions:
A. Playing faction music upon entering their system. e.g. Jumping from Confed Space to Forsaken Space, music gradually fades from Confed music to Forsaken music.

B. Smooth out music transitions. Using more fade-ins and fade-outs. Current music transition is painfully abrupt. It sucks when your listening to cool interspace music and then when docking it cuts off abruptly to be replaced by another music type entirely.

C. Do not differentiate music by station type. Differentiate it by faction. So instead of all agricultural stations having the same music, why not have agricultural stations of DIFFERENT factions each have their own music. So an Aeran agri planet would sound different from a Forsaken one.

D. Separate ambient from music. And play them at the same time. e.g.When docking, music fades in to station music AND ambient station
hubbub. So we'd only need general sounds of human populations, etc. And we do not need to integrate it into music.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

For musical layout, I refer to this thread
In synthesis:
  • * Peace: away (alone in the middle of nothingness)
    * Peace: near stations/planets
    * Threat: near enemies/in enemy territory
    * Battle: near enemies who are attacking you/each other
    * Panic: near enemies who are beating you senseless
    * Victory: nearby battle going well (for an ally / you)
    * Loss: nearby battle going bad (for an ally / you)
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

thanks. Falik has replied and is willing to send us his music in .ogg format. I'll try to sort through it.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

i found this site few weeks at go and meby is this is also for vega strike...

http://www.jamendo.com/

note: this is my last post befor that i go on vakastion...
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Thanks, www2. have a good vacation. :) I'll follow up on the site if I have time later.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,