Free music for GNU/Berkeley/OSI licensed games/software

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
BeatPIck
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Free music for GNU/Berkeley/OSI licensed games/software

Post by BeatPIck »

hey guys - we're a new net label: www.beatpick.com
About 80 artists/bands and over 600 music tracks. All music genres. from very rare to mainstream.

We release music under the creative commons license and encourage people to use our music in non-commercial projects.

You can use our music for free in GNU/Berkeley/OSI licensed games/software that are given away for free.

All artists/bands have been selected for quality and professionalism.

If you consider this post SPAM then I do apologise, feel free to delete the post and threaten our families.

If you use our music you need to credit beatpick.com and its musicians.
If you go commercial then you need to pay the musician a licensing fee.

best,

Frank
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Free music for GNU/Berkeley/OSI licensed games/software

Post by klauss »

BeatPIck wrote:feel free to delete the post and threaten our families.
I wouldn't go that far ;)

I think it's OK - it's non-commercial, and it lends a hand. I couldn't tag it as SPAM even if I wanted to. Though the post language is certainly quite resembling.

Anyway... thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to check it out.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
BeatPIck
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by BeatPIck »

thanks Klauss. u never know if users are going to massacre u and your business. I hate spam too and i know the feeling.. i just think we're doing something to connect indie musicians and developers. I think both categories need help. take care.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D Yup. Nice site. Can't listen to it, atm, tho. No headphones, here.
But I'll try to find ways.

Downtempo and World Music look particularly interesting. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
starfortress2
Explorer
Explorer

Post by starfortress2 »

Is the music GPL (or can it be licensed GPL). Free for non-commerical isn't... well isn't opensource and that clause will stop vegastrike from being bundled in linux distros if the music is put in, also it makes VS not completely opensource/libre. GPL is the best license.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

starfortress2 wrote:Is the music GPL (or can it be licensed GPL).

See: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8502

Look for www2's reply to starfortress2 (you) from 2 days ago (Apr 16).
GPL is the best license.
That is a matter of opinion. There are perhaps 40 or 50 open source licenses to choose from & many more if the creator wishes to retain more personal control.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
starfortress2
Explorer
Explorer

Post by starfortress2 »

Shissui wrote:
starfortress2 wrote:Is the music GPL (or can it be licensed GPL).

See: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8502

Look for www2's reply to starfortress2 (you) from 2 days ago (Apr 16).
GPL is the best license.
That is a matter of opinion. There are perhaps 40 or 50 open source licenses to choose from & many more if the creator wishes to retain more personal control.
Yes it is an opinion, but in this case (an opensource game) the more-propriatary licenses should not be used. Only opensource/free/libre licenses which do not conflict with the essential freedoms of free software.

In my opinion the GPL is the best as anything made from it must also be GPL and you can't pervent people from redistributing it even if you (a distro, etc) sold it to them. Also GPL stuff won't be used in non-gpl (non opensource) games/etc because of the terms of the GPL. However the freedom to sell (in redistribution, (linux distros etc)) is not impinged, which is one of the freedoms of free/libre software/content.

The GPL is a great license.

If a piece of music (and I make music too) is under a non-opensource license then, perhapse it can be used in non-opensource games, but shouldn't be used in games that are fully opensource unless the artist decides to opensource that music track (perhapse using the GPL :) ).

I GPL all my music and media so that OSS projects don't have to start to make licensing compromises. Everyday the library of libre music grows.

Also check the mutopiaproject.com for OSS classical/etc/newer midis and notation (which can be easily converted to waveform/ogg with timidity and freepats (or something else capable of playing midis if you want).

The reach of free/libre software/content keeps growing, let's help it out :D.

Some tips: if trying to make a ..."highbrow"/military/exciting piece, at some of the crecendos in your piece have a bell tone (use tinkle bell in the midi patch set). In some areas do a little scale/bundle of notes with the bell (tinkle bell or tubular bell) but in a 6 min song, maybe do it 3 or 4 times only. Use horns more frequently in such a piece (but maybe not the main instrument) and then as your main insturment whatever you want (electric guitar, sythesyzer, etc).