Might have found the perfect sound tool..

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Might have found the perfect sound tool..

Post by Paslowo »

Where you can actually make laser/weapon sounds or something like that.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/stomper/index2.html

You can also load a custom wave shape.

I've been toying around with this for a while now.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Damn! It's not for Linux! :evil:
oh well...
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I forgot to say that it's a windows only utilities.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Weeeell, I'd say VS certainly needs a make-over in sound fx. Currently, weapon sounds too wimpy. Sorry to whoever originally made them. They sound too "psheew psheew" instead of " Chugga chugga", "zip, thump, wooomp! ka-boom!. :lol:

And please, engine noise. Especially when SPECing& accelerating. Without it, you'd really have no idea how fast you are. How about deep rumbling sounds for passing capships, etc.

And.. i know i know.. space is silent. More so than a graveyard. But let's just pretend, that they've invented some device that enables them to pick up vibrations or somesuch. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oblivion wrote:And please, engine noise. Especially when SPECing& accelerating. Without it, you'd really have no idea how fast you are. How about deep rumbling sounds for passing capships, etc.
I think klauss and chuck were working on this a while back...
And.. i know i know.. space is silent. More so than a graveyard. But let's just pretend, that they've invented some device that enables them to pick up vibrations or somesuch. 8)
Evidently, VS ships create sounds as a form of ambient information relay to you, the pilot. They try to simulate you "hearing" other things.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Evidently, VS ships create sounds as a form of ambient information relay to you, the pilot. They try to simulate you "hearing" other things.
Yeah... I wonder how they do that? You could probably send false "sound simulation" signals. :D Much like radar jamming, but better.

Just thinking waaaay out of the box, really.. :oops:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Interesting idea.
That's one more configuration option to add to the gazillion ones: in "super realistic mode", radar "ghosts" are also "sound" ghosts (sounds are derived from radar info).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I don't want to hear a bunch of beeps and other simple sounds inside a ship though.

I would rather go along with the gameplay and just have sound period.

Pointless referral:
http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/ask/a11650.html
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

I had a look at that program.... it wouldn't install. By the description though, I doubt there is really much you could do with that program. Its an 'analog drum synth', so theres nothing there I couldn't already do with FL Studio. And, just in case anybody here wasn't around when I tried to do some sound effects with FL Studio's drum sounds before, they weren't pretty.

I do agree - we do need new sound effects. The problem however, is that for sound effects to sound any good, we need to do them properly. There isn't really a "sound effect generation" program that I know of, you actually need to go out and take samples. If somebody can get me some samples to work with, I'll happily try to touch thme up :-) Alas, I don't have the equipment to do it myself unless I can record the sound next to my rather large unluggable computer/PA System.

Or maybe i'm completely wrong - does anybody know of a sound effect generation utility that I havn't heard of, that isn't just a drum synth?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

zaydana wrote: If somebody can get me some samples to work with, I'll happily try to touch thme up :-)
Have a look on Freesound:
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

Definitely the best Free (Creative Commons Sampling+ License) sound repository out there.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Low swishing/purring noises like ships for capships.
Ambient sound of engines of you ship. Increase in volume when accelerating.

Warning Beeps (short as Paslowo doesn't like them) for when an enemy locks on you. When a part fails. etc.

Unlocking/Hydraulics sound when undocking/docking.

Better weapon sounds. Especially chugga chugga for the mass driver. I think the current sounds are stored in the root directory.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

zaydana wrote:I do agree - we do need new sound effects. The problem however, is that for sound effects to sound any good, we need to do them properly. There isn't really a "sound effect generation" program that I know of, you actually need to go out and take samples. If somebody can get me some samples to work with, I'll happily try to touch thme up :-) Alas, I don't have the equipment to do it myself unless I can record the sound next to my rather large unluggable computer/PA System.
I do (have the equipment).
Just tell me which samples you need... I've never done sound effects before, always true-to-life recordings - I know I could wing it, but if you have a bit more experience or simply just an idea you want to try, let me know what I can record for you. Oh - but my equipment isn't very portable, so "go to the park and..." really doesn't work ;) (actually, it is portable, but I wouldn't walk through the park with it - not unless I want to make an involuntary donation ;) ).
Or maybe i'm completely wrong - does anybody know of a sound effect generation utility that I havn't heard of, that isn't just a drum synth?
I've done experiments with MIDI wavetables + postprocessing, and it turns out nice. AFAIK, that's how all the effects in Spielberg's "AI" were made, and it gives them a musical quality that is really neat.

As for "beeps", I was thinking more "musical cues" - small ringtone-like tunes with some recognizable color to make it "easy to parse" for the ear. I can't type it... perhaps I'll just make a few and post them - as I said somewhere else, though, don't hold your breath.
Wing Commander Universe
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

well, i've never actually made sound effects before :-p. But, I do a lot of musical stuff still, and i'm quite a bit of a sound-techy, so I think I could whip some stuff up. You'd probably have just as much (or more) luck tho. I can try sampling anything that is portable, as i've got equipment, just in the form of a PA system.

Also, halleck: that website is awesome. When I get time, I might have a look through there and just pick out a few sounds that could go well with VS. The only issue is the license, I don't know exactly how the creative commons works

Lets start a list of raw sounds that would suit each sound effect, then people with recording equipment can pick off a few of them and bring back samples, and whoever wants to make actual sound effects can give it a go.

So, including oblivion's suggestions:

Capships
- Pump?
- Dishwasher/Tumble Drier

Undocking
- Unlocking/Hydraulics

Big canons
- [i'll make some generated ones]

I can also make a few musical "beeps" for various things.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

zaydana wrote:Big canons
- [i'll make some generated ones]
I think I can record some - not cannons, but they'll sound just the same ;) (know the tricks). And I won't use anything more than a microphone, recording equipment, and... my hands. Beat that simplicity wahahaha... Let me get back on this later, it's awfully late now.
Wing Commander Universe
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

lol... now you mention it, I could do that too. Its just I always always told off for doing that cos apparently it wrecks the microphone. I guess its alright in the name of entertainment tho :-)

I won't be able to do much till the weekend, and i've still got the website to do, so it might be a while before I get much done. But i'll post updates when I do.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Nono - you misunderstood it - I meant "clapping" (in front of), not "hitting" (the) microphone.
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Clapping with the hands cupped. :wink:

Why not try to just strengthen or distort in some way the current sounds in VS? Soundforge can do that. I think it's free. :P Sorry, I'm not a musician (I was the vocalist of our highschool band because I couldn't learn to play the guitar. :lol: )
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
m1ck
Trader
Trader

Post by m1ck »

just thought i'd throw my 2 pence worth in, there are actually a *lot* of freeware vst synths floating around on the net.

here's just 1 example :- http://www.rgcaudio.com/triangle_II.htm

this mono synth is very very good. Also if u dont have or want to spend money on a music sequencer or similar download a free copy of madtracker http://www.rgcaudio.com/triangle_II.htm

then load up your synth vst plug in and get programming..

good luck guys.