Music from movies or other media, and songs?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Antaak
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Music from movies or other media, and songs?

Post by Antaak »

Is it possible for me to use music score tracks from movies like Star Trek: Nemesis as music in Vega Strike? And it is possible for me to use songs from Lamb of god and Scum of the Earth? If unthinkable yes, should I add a credit or not?
"Get to the front, everyone."
- Commander Antaak, Fan Wars: The Half-Life Wars
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

If you want to use them in your private installation of VegaStrike, I don't think you need to give credit to anyone.

You can, by editing the .m3u files inside your .vegastrike folder (in Windows, it's in the installation folder... in linux, it's in your home folder). They're text files, so you can open them with any text editor. You can use .ogg, .wav and .mid for sure... I think you can also use .mp3.

Now... if you are wondering about using those soundtracks in an official release, I think that's not (legally) possible.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

it's possible but you have to pay the piper, a lot too :(

Enjoy the Choice :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Also, if you don't like the text editor method, almost every music player on any platform (even Windows Media Player) can read and write M3U playlists.

As klauss said, Vegastrike can definately play ogg, midi and wav files. It should also play mp3 as long as it was complied with SMPEG support, which is almost definately true on windows, though I'm not sure about linux.

There are a lot of different playlists for each situation and base, so you need to edit each one if you don't want a different type of music peeking in sometimes.

All of the music included in VS is GPL'ed music, and we probably still couldn't legally distribute the dataset as GPL if it contains copyrighted music, even if you paid for a license.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@ace123
and Creative Commons NonCommercial license
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

www2 wrote:@ace123
and Creative Commons NonCommercial license
This may not be compatible with the GPL (the music is actually dual licensed under the GPL and CC NonCommercial-ShareAlike, which is also not GPL compatible)...
the GPL allows people to resell vega strike (for commercial purposes), but CC-NC-SA would conflict with their right to resell the music. I guess that they can use it under the GPL, but it seems like a compatible alternate license should be picked- if someone options out the music under its current CC-NC-SA license, there may a possibility that it (any remixes or derivatives made from it under CC) would be incompatible with VS. Of course, you can start invoking the GPL's "mere aggregation" clause, but at this point things would start to become a legal mess.

Sorry to derail the topic, but this brings up an important point.

Personally, I think that there needs to be a clearer separation between code and content for vegastrike. The GPL is not an ideal license for content (Creative Commons-Attribution-ShareAlike would be more appropriate for both music AND content, assuming we want to allow people to make money off our content like the GPL does)

The two viable legal models, as I see it, are as follows:
1. VS under GPL with content dual licensed under GPL and CC-BY-SA, allowing people to sell our game and our game content
2. VS under GPL with content included under mere aggregation clause as CC-BY-SA-NC, which will prevent people from selling our game content and disallow them from selling a complete vegastrike game (much like current ID software setups for old games like DOOM- only the source code can be sold)

The question is: do we want people making money by selling vegastrike as a complete game and/or selling its content? We still have the freedom to decide- past licenses cannot be revoked, but they can be modified in upcoming versions.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@Halleck
That is no a big problem
The CC lisent is compatbel with the normal version GPL can not use in a Commercial game with out the sourscode...
only if we uss LGPL or a BSD lisent than we hef dis problem...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Read what I said again-
certain CC licenses are GPL compatible, and certain CC licenses are GPL incompatible.

Any NonCommercial CC licenses interfere with the right granted by the GPL for people to make commercial use of the product (sell it).

That is, unless we decide to only release the code under GPL and invoke the "mere aggregation" clause. In that case, the content can be under any license we want, but if it's under a license like CC-NC-SA, that means that people could only sell copies of the code to VS, not the complete game.

It is also possible that by dual-licensing the content under a GPL compatible license and a GPL incompatible license (such as the current situation with the music), this can be circumvented, but such an option is on the fringe of my legal expertise- see previous post for exposition on this particular situation.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@Halleck
i know only few thins about GPL, LGPL and BSD licenses...
and not about the CC licenses...
I say dis only i know about dis problem...
meby that we use the same lisens system as planeshift...