ISO Voice Sample: New Track

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
shadow.oblivion
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

ISO Voice Sample: New Track

Post by shadow.oblivion »

I've modified an original ISO recording by adding a quieter, translated Russian track. The dominant English track has also been distorted to indicate that it's a translation from the speaker's native language. I'd like some feedback and suggestions.

http://forgottendream.org/forum/index.p ... ttach=3534
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: ISO Voice Sample: New Track

Post by CLoneWolf »

Nice idea! My only doubt is that I think the translator doing the job is on the receiving ship, not the transmitting one, so it wouldn't necessarily have the accent an ISO member would have when speaking English; unless it's a wanted feature to help the pilot identify the speaking faction more easily :)
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Meanwhile, here are the 2 missing lines for ISO, kindly provided by shadow oblivion and radio processed as usual:
http://olografix.org/groucho/tmp/iso_die-lackey.ogg
http://olografix.org/groucho/tmp/iso_it ... e-have.ogg
shadow.oblivion
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by shadow.oblivion »

I think that the more unique each faction sounds, the better. It adds variety and atmosphere to the game. It can be realistically justified by the same reason, because it easier to ID who you're communicating with by the sound of their voice alone.

I saw the page for radio voice generation. I'll integrate the radio processing to my production in future work.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

shadow.oblivion wrote:I think that the more unique each faction sounds, the better. It adds variety and atmosphere to the game. It can be realistically justified by the same reason, because it easier to ID who you're communicating with by the sound of their voice alone.
I agree. Even if not totally realistic, it's desirable. Call it a feature of the translator if a justification is needed ;)

But I can't reach the links. I know, old links, but I had hoped they'd still be alive.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:But I can't reach the links. I know, old links, but I had hoped they'd still be alive.
Sorry, after a recent migration, the www-less address hasn't been reinstated yet, my above files are now at
http://www.olografix.org/groucho/tmp/iso_die-lackey.ogg
http://www.olografix.org/groucho/tmp/is ... e-have.ogg
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote:
shadow.oblivion wrote:I think that the more unique each faction sounds, the better. It adds variety and atmosphere to the game. It can be realistically justified by the same reason, because it easier to ID who you're communicating with by the sound of their voice alone.
I agree. Even if not totally realistic, it's desirable. Call it a feature of the translator if a justification is needed ;)
Why not have voice actors speak lines in their native language and not do any audio translation at all? Let the text be the only translation, like a movie subtitle.

All of the relevant information is non-verbal. The only information the NPCs can communicate are their three emotional states- hate, love and indifference. What you really want are the most believably emoted spoken lines possible.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi .
Why not have voice actors speak lines in their native language and not do any audio translation at all? Let the text be the only translation, like a movie subtitle.
good idea !
All of the relevant information is non-verbal. The only information the NPCs can communicate are their three emotional states- hate, love and indifference. What you really want are the most believably emoted spoken lines possible.
All right . I'm working actually in 3d with the Aera specie .
I plan to make cinematics and also animations for the comm display .
yeah , really soon i'd like to test the new Aera comm display ....

So ...We need a real Aera to do the " Brz zbrr raaa " etc . :lol:
And ... thank you for the ISO voices dude !
:wink:

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

ezee wrote:
good idea !
So ...We need a real Aera to do the " Brz zbrr raaa " etc . :lol:
And ... thank you for the ISO voices dude !
First, thanks for continuing the work!

Though my gamepad stopped working years ago, I got an itch to fire up VS 0.5.1r1 tonight and it is reasonably playable on mouse glide. Then I heard the ship-to-ship voices and decided to stop by the forums.

I'm not in the best position to naysay any ideas, having disappeared for 4 years. But I and half a dozen other voice actors did numerous faction voices around 2009 in this very forum, including the Aera and Rlaan with translator overlay and lines without translator overlays for future use. The factions speaking English used various accents and emotions, including an emotionless voice for the translator overlay (different from the nearly-emotionless Unadorned).

I say all that to make the point that a major policy change (such as no audio translator) would require re-doing much of that work. Recommend you check out the old discussions (the ones not lost in the server outage some years ago) to see why we did what we did, and if you still have a better idea then we'll listen. I enjoyed reading back 6-7 years about some of the problems that, together, we solved.

Note: I no longer maintain the willadsenfamily.org web site so older links won't work. I have the files, scripts, raw recordings, etc, and I am pretty sure I provided them to the SourceForge site. Failing that, I can post them elsewhere if such were needed.

Note2: I have a new wife, 3 children, and a new job since you saw me last. I am still happy to voice act or edit audio, but would have somewhat less time to spare on it. Of course, having done 6 factions already, my own voice is probably already too prevalent other than for translator overlays.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi Turbo !
I'm glad to hear you again and i thank you to report all that work you've done before .
( i was not aware of that ... 'til now )
So ...Oswald's voice , it's you !
I really like your intonation and timber , you've done a really good job .

Perhaps you know i'm working on a fork of vegastrike , to try to make it evolve since it
is difficult ( to not say impossible ... ) from here .
I have started to use the beautiful artworks of Darkvixen to make a new background for the menu , and introduced also real buttons ( with working states ) and ... sounds .

I had the idea to propose also a different gameplay , where the player could choose his faction at the start of the campaign .
That mean the writing of new quests , with perhaps ( most probably ) new actor voices, in some alternates story .

I understand you only have limited time ( like me if i want to keep my wife and sons too ... ) for that project , but i would enjoy to work with you in that project .

As you are an actor , perhaps you would like to write also your own story for the character you would create ( or the 3d artists like Darkvixen will do for us ) .
Of course, having done 6 factions already, my own voice is probably already too prevalent other than for translator overlays.
mmm... well i think that Oswald could be a more important NPC in vegastrike evolved .
So it won't be a problem ( but a salvation ) to hear your voice again ! ( and that could bring a direction for new quests with him and his faction )
You can have an idea of my intention by looking at that video preview :
https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/ ... gastrike-/

You can also checkout our actual work at :
https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/ ... lved_v1.0/

Not fully tested on each Os , so that could help me if you could try it and report any
troubles or bugs .

Finally , i'm trying to make a team working on that game because i like it first , but also
because i like to work in team and share the happyness of good results !
^^

So if you think you could give to Oswald more audio lifetime , i can work at your side
at the code level to give him an important role in one of the new campaigns .
Please let me know if you like that idea ?

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

A fork? OK, no problem then.

I originally found Vegastrike after contributing graphic and video artwork to Privateer Gemini Gold. From the look of the forums, klauss and a few others are the only ones still holding VS together. Sometimes life takes us away, and sometimes an artist decides to stop working and declare, "It is." But new stories can, I hope, put some new life in the project.

Oswald is my "normal" voice. I enjoy voice acting but I have some basic skill at graphics and videos, and my job includes writing and reviewing/editing others' writing. Maybe we'll gain enough excitement to pull in other experts -- there are half a dozen VS contributors better at graphics than me, for example. I have set my preferences to generate an email when I get a PM, so I don't miss anything.

Until then, I think I will make a new paint job for my Lancelot. When completed, I'll update my avatar (my old avatar disappeared when I let my web site expire, I guess).
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Turbo wrote:When completed, I'll update my avatar (my old avatar disappeared when I let my web site expire, I guess).
This?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Thank you Turbo !
8)

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

gonzo wrote:This?
That was the old one. The new one is a "space camoflague" pattern of dark and light blue similar to one I did for the Gawain model long ago. I tried Google Photos, Google Drive, and whatever MS Live calls their online storage, and they all offer external links to images (like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_782N ... sp=sharing )
but don't work for posting or avatars...doubtless a prohibition on direct-link embedding. But now we're really getting off topic.
Turbo

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have been using photobucket to host my avatar and screen shots for ages never had an issue from them.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

loki1950 wrote:I have been using photobucket to host my avatar and screen shots for ages never had an issue from them.
Good advice as always, thanks. What's one more password to remember, when I have a password manager to do it for me?

Back to the topic: I listened to the lines that Clonewolf linked, and the voice acting is awesome. Having said that, we have good male ISO voice lines. So I suggest we put our effort toward unvoiced factions here which could benefit the original VS and any forks.

In related news, I dropped by the pertinent section of the wiki and am updating links to some of the voice work that I did in 2010 that I have re-posted to Google Drive.
Turbo

ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

from the excellent link you provided above :
DJ: Well Leafblighter, it sounds like you are Aeran. Before you give your answer, can you even eat chicken?
mwaah ah ah ahhh ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome ... GOOOOD MORNING , VIETNAM !!
I was wondering what could fill some long and boring flights .
You got the answer !

That idea is fantastic , coupled with the news system , that would seem really interactive.
I suscribe to the music part , making alien music is something i never tried ...
:lol:

Edit : So technically there would be an audio streaming from the server , no ?
I've seen somewhere in the config file an alternate sound player section , for Winamp .
That kind of thing could be used to listen to a real web radio in the game ?
But i don't now yet if that was already implemented in the code . ( the alternate player )

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

The "radio call-in contest" where the Aeran wins a chicken dinner is, like the music, a sound file. The files are in SVN. I am not sure if they are in 0.5.1.r1 because I'm always tweaking the game this way and that, but they are not in the playlists so you don't hear them in-game. Part of the reason for that is that this content was still under discussion, mostly here. The last page of the thread includes an excerpt for how you can modify the playlists to play the audio.

We started audio-recording the "static" news (news items hard coded into the game, versus the ones generated by player and AI battles), of which 4 are completed. We also wrote 9 new ones. That brings the total to 32 news stories that need recording...and the background work (script, music, etc) is already done, so all we really need is for someone to read the script.

There was also a separate discussion here about commercial advertising, where the discussion got really passionate but in the end we agreed that too much advertising would be bad, and that the faction descriptions in the wiki need a lot of work. I still think that 10-15 second "sponsored by" snippets are no more intrusive than the loading "splash" screens (and the content is the same, other than Fuzzy's chicken). I think they serve the same purpose -- inform the player about the VS universe in immersive ways. I felt that way strongly enough that I recorded five of them already. It's all in the wiki.
Turbo

ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

It's all in the wiki.
thanks , i'll look on it .
Last week i have discovered the news spots ( male introducing female reporter with music jingle in the background ) . And i was thinking to resample portions of the background music +
use text-to-speech ( as i was alone ... ) .
Edit : ( i am able to play sound files now in a python room : There could be a radio in the bar , and a juke box ?
It is a very good news that you have all the sources and that we can produce new spots.
I'll read the wiki and other sources you've spoted , and try to find a way to use them in the dynamic news system . ( perhaps the solution is already in the documents to read )
-- inform the player about the VS universe in immersive ways.
i like that too !

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

...by the way, I still dabble in audio related things, if needed :)
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

..by the way, I still dabble in audio related things, if needed :)
wohooo !

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki