Shmrn voice acting test

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Shmrn voice acting test

Post by abysswolf »

http://soundcloud.com/ulfr-riorwa/shmrn ... cting-test

here's a voice over test for the Shmrn race i used the following VST

Blood over drive
orange vocoder
stereo enhancer
bass boost

i have a c- vibrato voice and i used breathfull speech
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Shmrn voice acting test

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote: here's a voice over test for the Shmrn race i used the following VST

Blood over drive
orange vocoder
stereo enhancer
bass boost

i have a c- vibrato voice and i used breathfull speech
That might work well as a background, but if you take a look at the wiki, the original language is supposed to be barely audible on the background, while a simil-synthesized voice (the translator) would be on the foreground.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

i readed it but there isn't any example of it so i interpreted it this way
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

A good example is on the dataset, all the sounds for the rlaan. Check them out, they're quite illustrative.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

It's kinda loud too
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

annother thing is that they are a humanoid species after all, sons of the lightbearers and shapers that's why i chosen a humanoid shape for them and still added some alien elements like changing their base composition and adding some extra things result of genetic engineering over them

but having the same chordal and vocal extructures makes them able to speak normal english right?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote:but having the same chordal and vocal extructures makes them able to speak normal english right?
Good point. So, fancy voices but regular english then?

PS: I'd apply the same logic to shapers
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

great ! trow me the lines via PM then ( i still haven't got the game due ISP problems) id use other voice to shapers a more natural one id put myself in contact with Mya for the female ver... of both... ;D
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Actually, you can get a bit creative.

Military lines are here. Each node there can have many variations, so you can get creative and make variations following the same principle or applicable to the same situation.

There's basically just lines for aggressive/friendly action on hostile/friendly ships and a few built-in ones like undocking, about to blow up and stuff like that.

Try to follow the spirit of the race while coming up with lines.

Also, civilian ships have a separate file here

About requirements, make sure you record some silence before each batch of lines (ie: each recording session), so I can calibrate noise reduction algorithms. Don't do any postprocessing of that kind yourself (audacity and many other similar programs are crappy for that), and make the recording as high-quality as you can without going overboard (16 bit, 44khz, as good a mike as you've got, as little environment noise as possible).
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

ok, so i make it sound exactly like i did in the sample? or there's anything extra to be added
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote:ok, so i make it sound exactly like i did in the sample? or there's anything extra to be added
No, I think, as pheonixstorm mentioned, the sample was a little over-done. Try a subtler approach.
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

you see why i wanted to get over facebook? we need to contact ourselves in a more efficient way this way is tedious for this tasks
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

May be tedious, but it leaves a public trail, which is useful when you're juggling several tasks at the same time (we devs are usually multitasking like that all the time).

I can forget about this when, say, I have exams or a conference, and get back to it later to find others answering your questions.

So, it may be tedious, but it's extremely useful for an open source project where everyone's time is volunteered.
Wing Commander Universe
abysswolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by abysswolf »

soundcloud.com/ulfr-riorwa/node3

ok this is node 3 i normalized the voice and used a lower pitch and didn't took that much air...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

abysswolf wrote:soundcloud.com/ulfr-riorwa/node3

ok this is node 3 i normalized the voice and used a lower pitch and didn't took that much air...
Much better, though the last part is a bit too hard to understand. If you can avoid that, make it clearer, go ahead.
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:About requirements, make sure you record some silence before each batch of lines (ie: each recording session), so I can calibrate noise reduction algorithms. Don't do any postprocessing of that kind yourself (audacity and many other similar programs are crappy for that)
What are the good and the bad noise removal tools you've met so far? Should I reprocess my old masters, or was Audacity tolerable for that because of the radio comm intentional low quality?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

CLoneWolf wrote:
klauss wrote:About requirements, make sure you record some silence before each batch of lines (ie: each recording session), so I can calibrate noise reduction algorithms. Don't do any postprocessing of that kind yourself (audacity and many other similar programs are crappy for that)
What are the good and the bad noise removal tools you've met so far? Should I reprocess my old masters, or was Audacity tolerable for that because of the radio comm intentional low quality?
Audacity is decent in most respects, I just find its noise reduction quite lacking. If you didn't do any noise reduction, you shouldn't worry.

Aside from that, I've used goldwave, it's pretty neat (although it lacks several things, like decent noise reduction), and I've had the pleasure to work with audacity's commercial cousin, SoundForge I think it was called, very good one, albeit a bit confusing to use (I preferred GoldWave for the simple stuff).

All windows. In linux I use either my programs for the advanced stuff (Orpheus it's called, though you won't find it googling, I think I have 1 link on chuck's server and that's it), or audacity for what it's good at (cut and paste and some other simple filters). I bet goldwave works on wine, though I haven't tried it (audacity is a good replacement)
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:If you didn't do any noise reduction, you shouldn't worry.
Oh but I did, it was unavoidable...
It might be less relevant for Mechanist and Andolian because of their further processing, but if you deem LIHW, Merchant, Shaper and ISO quality subpar, I'd better rework them.
Thanks for the info on alternatives, I'd suggest promoting Orpheus to VS dev tool ;)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

CLoneWolf wrote:Thanks for the info on alternatives, I'd suggest promoting Orpheus to VS dev tool ;)
I would have to re-write it to make it multiplatform first. It was windows, and it was veeery old (VC6 old).

I've been itching to do that for a while, but time doesn't permit.
Wing Commander Universe