Music - Propose Tracks

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Music - Propose Tracks

Post by gonzo »

Found a soundtrack on Jamendo:
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/85641
licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
Track 1 to 3 for instance fits right into the current playlists.

I couldn't find any pure thread for proposed music and this track just wanted to be proposed to vega strike...
Either show me where else to post this or we can keep building on this thread.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Music - Propose Tracks

Post by Turbo »

This is the right place to post, and thanks for finding these. :mrgreen:

The Jamendo web site doesn't work from my work computer (15-hour night shifts over the weekend, yay :?), so I will have to listen to them (and look at the licensing terms) later.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

That site has some pretty good music, and if i'm reading it right some pretty good licensing terms.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

I know that all music on jamendo are under one of the cc listens but some listens are not compatibly with GFDL.
The cc lisents are compatibly withe GFDL
CC-Public Domain
CC-BY
CC-BY-SA

The cc lisents are compatibly not withe GFDL
CC-BY-ND
CC-BY-NC
CC-BY-NC-SA
CC-BY-NC-ND

But this lisents can be use in vega strike under a non-free label (non free under the terms of the GFDL)
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I'm glad someone understands that CC licensing stuff.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: интересно

Post by travists »

NXJim wrote:Интересно.
(link removed)
According to Google translate, It's Russian
interesting
The opinions of the author may not coincide with his point of view.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Some more good stuff with licenses that works for open source projects.

FAFNIRROCKSON
CC BY-SA 3.0
Flux

Kämmerer
CC BY 3.0
Leaving Paradise
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Helarkon - Circumstellar Orbit

Also, there's an older thread. Maybe it would be better off merged? Admins?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Totally a merger!
Nice but no!
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ :cry:

Also there is freesound. We could throw in an occasional ambient hit in between the tunes.
http://freesound.org/people/yewbic/sounds/33796
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

I think the Debian way is a bit too extreme and doesn't translate to the music sceene that well. If someone wants their work to be distributed freely but not modified or monetized then that's something we could work around with a separate music extension pack of some sort that doesn't go into the Debian/Ubuntu repos. Perhaps a torrent or links to the separate files if they're on a service like Jamendo. Api for Jamendo
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

See the linked thread. As long as it's played as is (without remixing, etc), all we have to do is to download these separately via button in main menu or something and notify of the license. Which is a good idea either way, because data packs are bloated enough by textures.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

gonzo wrote:I think the Debian way is a bit too extreme and doesn't translate to the music sceene that well. If someone wants their work to be distributed freely but not modified or monetized then that's something we could work around with a separate music extension pack of some sort that doesn't go into the Debian/Ubuntu repos. Perhaps a torrent or links to the separate files if they're on a service like Jamendo. Api for Jamendo
No, in fact, it doesn't work for us. We need to build derivatives to make versions of the music tracks that fit among the other tracks in VS. Dynamic range, cutting intros or picking parts of the tracks that suit us, those kinds of modifications are derivatives, and are also needed.

In fact, I had to ask specific permission from Falik to do that to his tracks. Authors generally agree on giving us permission, but it cannot be assumed, it has to be explicitly asked for.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:No, in fact, it doesn't work for us. We need to build derivatives to make versions of the music tracks that fit among the other tracks in VS. Dynamic range, cutting intros or picking parts of the tracks that suit us, those kinds of modifications are derivatives, and are also needed.
Are they really needed? It's background music, why cut intros if they aren't too far different from possible other tracks, etc? And even then, "start at X, stop at Y" and ReplayGain can be done on playlist data level.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

I can say that we can edit the music stream on the fly.
But i can say that that cc-nd and cc-nc-nd are a can of worms that we can't not use in a open source project.
Including Game play videos.
The foiling CC license we can use in vega strike:
Debian compatible:
CC-BY
CC-BY-SA
Not Debian compatible:
CC-BY-NC
CC-BY-NC-SA
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

TBeholder wrote:
klauss wrote:No, in fact, it doesn't work for us. We need to build derivatives to make versions of the music tracks that fit among the other tracks in VS. Dynamic range, cutting intros or picking parts of the tracks that suit us, those kinds of modifications are derivatives, and are also needed.
Are they really needed? It's background music, why cut intros if they aren't too far different from possible other tracks, etc? And even then, "start at X, stop at Y" and ReplayGain can be done on playlist data level.
1 - who's to say that on-the-fly editing isn't derivative? a lawyer? of which jurisdiction?

2 - it depend on the tracks whether parts have to be cut or not. For Falik's tracks, there was a very lengthy intro to, I think, Mezza Mezza, that simply didn't fit. (not to mention that shipping entire chunks that won't be played is quite inefficient)

3 - dynamic range adjustment is a lot more than replay gain
Wing Commander Universe
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

In fact, I had to ask specific permission from Falik to do that to his tracks. Authors generally agree on giving us permission, but it cannot be assumed, it has to be explicitly asked for.
So in the case of 'flux' from earlier in the thread the text next to the song says
You can copy, distribute, advertise and play this album as long as you:
-Give credit to the artist
-Distribute all derivative works under the same license
With a link to the Creative Commons license saying:
CC BY-SA 3.0
You are free:
to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
to make commercial use of the work
In my brain the frases didn't compare 100% but basically we could do some nip/tuck and even sell it and it's cool, if we just give credits and don't change the license.
klauss wrote: 1 - who's to say that on-the-fly editing isn't derivative? a lawyer? of which jurisdiction?
Good point.

I started reading about the different licenses and then I stopped reading about the different licenses. I feel just a little bit more confused than before. :cry:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yeah, that's why we need a license that very clearly allows derivatives. That's either GPL (tough in music) or any of the CC without ND in its name.

NC makes it incompatible with openSUSE, BTW, so it should also be without NC if possible, but it's not necessary (ie: it can be an optional pack not included in openSUSE and those distros that don't allow NC).
Wing Commander Universe
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Maybe just settle for one license then and roll along with it. GPL is cool but it's not a big thing among artists.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

www2 wrote:But i can say that that cc-nd and cc-nc-nd are a can of worms that we can't not use in a open source project.
Ones that cannot be included under a broader license still can be downloaded by the end user as expansion packs, with license named and links to both license and source given before downloading, too. Anything really included doesn't fall under NC, but if the user wants to add the 3rd-party content, it's easily available.
Again, the ability to do this is desirable anyway, simply to keep basic data packs from bloating and to support mods.
klauss wrote:
TBeholder wrote:Are they really needed? It's background music, why cut intros if they aren't too far different from possible other tracks, etc? And even then, "start at X, stop at Y" and ReplayGain can be done on playlist data level.
1 - who's to say that on-the-fly editing isn't derivative? a lawyer? of which jurisdiction?
In 4.0+ ND allows "remix for private use" - so technically, it would comply with "If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material", because any actually modified material as such is never distributed, and it's not even possible to do so without 3rd-party tools. And there's even an example of printing digital material "even if you have had to make formatting changes to do so" in FAQ.
Practically, it's best to check with CreativeCommons what exactly is considered acceptable, of course. But do you really think they'll say automated volume control via playlist is straight out? :)
klauss wrote: 2 - it depend on the tracks whether parts have to be cut or not. For Falik's tracks, there was a very lengthy intro to, I think, Mezza Mezza, that simply didn't fit
May well be. So, consider it unappliable for the specific playlist, big deal. It may fit somewhere else - there's a lot of playlists, and will be more, especially bases and maybe scripted cutscenes.
klauss wrote: (not to mention that shipping entire chunks that won't be played is quite inefficient)
That's the whole point: don't ship. Don't even host, unless necessary (i.e. the source is on a weak server or is down already). Anything that can be provided as 3rd party DLC accessible within 2-3 clicks from menu, is best provided this way, IMO.
klauss wrote: 3 - dynamic range adjustment is a lot more than replay gain
It's just a property of end software, like surround stereo tweaks. Normally dynamic range fixing is something that would be done by a plugin toggled in player preferences, no? Background music engine is but one more player, only with less setup options than standalone players could be expected to have. It's always best to check, of course...