Layered Factional Audio (aural brainstorming)

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Rodan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Layered Factional Audio (aural brainstorming)

Post by Rodan »

Firstly, hello all! This is my first post as a forum member, but I've been following VS on and off since about 2002. After a long break, I recently gave VS another try and was impressed with the progress!

This led me to check out the forum, and specifically this very interesting (but venerable) thread on music and sound. Combine some inspiration, curiosity, and recently-long lunch breaks, and you get a few tracks that I whipped up. But I don't have a website. Where would one suggest I upload/post them?

I'm not current on the status of VS audio, so the aforementionned tracks may not be directly relevant to VS as it stands now, but I may as well share the tracks now that they're done.

Also, is the VS team looking for help with anything besides the OGRE port lately? I have some previous experience related to modding, but not in coding, sadly.

Just curious. And congrats again on a job very well done so far! I can't think of another self-admittedly half-finished project (being v0.5.0 and all) so complete and polished.

-Rodan
Rodan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Layered Factional Audio (aural brainstorming)

Post by Rodan »

Well, having taken a closer look at the forum, particularly these two threads, I can see that this thread of mine is indeed orthogonal to VS' needs. Ah well, I still had fun creating the music.

If anyone's curious about the aforementioned music, or cares to re-open a casual discussion on VS audio, I'm willing to entertain it. But for now, I'm going to take a closer look at the VS wiki.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Welcome Rodan!

Things are often a bit slow here, as we're all volunteers with real lives to live too.

I established an FTP site a while back, but my web host is getting DOS'ed a lot lately so I cannot get into the FTP account settings to see why some people can use it and others cannot. But I hope that you can post your music, perhaps using one of the sites the other musicians use to share their work, such as http://virb.com/
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Rodan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Rodan »

Thanks, Turbo.

I got all excited about Virb until I saw that they only accept .mp3 audio files. So I've just slapped a .zip up on EasyShare. Be careful with the volume knob -- I haven't done any post-production on them. And I've given them nonsensical names because I don't want to influence anyone's first impressions (except for the ones marked 'ambient' -- don't expect to click on them then proceed to rock out).

http://www.easy-share.com/1908838643/rodan-01.zip

Once I've gotten some feedback, I'll let you all know what the filenames were and how (conceptually) I put them together.

-Rodan
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I'm not sure that MP3s are all that bad, at least for previews to share for comments. Thanks for posting your work. I actually like your idea to name them randomly to let us form our own impressions, and I encourage the others to listen before reading what I think. Here are my thoughts:

lirt-ambient: a bit tense with the "heartbeat" percussion, it makes me think of exploring an unknown place
morp - ambient: mysterious feeling
nact: this one reminds me of ZZ Top, and has an optimistic feel; the part between 1:32 and 1:47 feels a bit jerky compared to the similar bit from 0:42 to 0:53, but maybe that's just me
quac: this has some interesting intruments; it feels similar to the "Aera battle" music already in the game, but less noisy; maybe we could use it for visiting an Aera system when the player is not currently in combat; also consider fading out at the end
vaco: the organ with some techno thrown in makes me think of the Shaper faction (biology shaped by technology); my only suggestion is that you try the organ coming back briefly at the end and see if that ties things up better
clips: this one feels a bit tense, but I can't place it with any particular faction or situation
leapt: I like this one better than "clips" as an all-percussion piece; since percussion are simpler instruments (to build) maybe we could use this for the Uln in battle
porf: this is a good companion to "leapt", with a calmer feel (such as Uln non-battle music)
xat - ambient: very interesting; it makes me wonder what it would sound like under an ocean of ammonia, so maybe we could use it as a non-battle ambient for Rlaan systems
flap - ambient: this makes me think of the background noise/radiation in a nebula; imaging hearing this while flying in a nebula with your radar and your VDUs showing static; we would need to reduce the volume on this one

Again, keep creating. I hope that others can provide their impressions also.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.