And now, for something completely different...

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: And now, for something completely different...

Post by MC707 »

jnfstnet565 wrote:
MC707 wrote:Oh, and I didn't understand that Psycodeine thing (is that your DJ name?)
I guess it is. You can say that it is. I have no DJ name. Psycodeine was just my artist name, but now you can append DJ. Nothing to be embarassed about. You can just say by Psycodeine, not DJ Psycodeine. But append DJ if you wish...
Oh so I just entitled you the rank of DJ... congratulations Psycodeine! :lol:

Now that we mention this, why don't you put that as your forum name? I think you could do that in the UCP (User Control Panel), though if not I guess our pal Loki could do you the favor. :D
Ok so Psycodeine is it? Nice DJ name, I should be thinking about mine too... I've gotten some really good ideas for music composition. I can grasp the product already...
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

sry, did you read my last post. I think this could be our classification for stuff, just like in GTA...

Oh yeah, and I think Loki has to change my username because I can't do it myself... :)

Psycodeine has been my name since I started, have no idea why. Maybe it was because of some kind of withdrawal.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

jnfstnet565 wrote:sry, did you read my last post. I think this could be our classification for stuff, just like in GTA...

Oh yeah, and I think Loki has to change my username because I can't do it myself... :)

Psycodeine has been my name since I started, have no idea why. Maybe it was because of some kind of withdrawal.
Yes I did, we just posted with a little bad timing in real time :P. Yes, Loki's an admin so he can do that.
jnfstnet565 wrote:OK. I think we could go far enough now to start defining the stations and stuff. I'm thinking about several major genres since this is a spacey universe, most if not all of the music will be electronic. This covers these genres:

1. Pop: We need this, and especially vocal artists for this, does anyone sing well here? This has to be the hits that everyone will enjoy. We could just write instrumentals for these and append vocals later. I think what most of us should do for this is to study the popular music coming out now (Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.) and figure out if we can produce a more alien version of these tracks, that would resemble some kind of alien popular culture. I don't want exact replicas, but if we could get something close that might resemble these artists (just instrumental wise), we can add vocals if anyone is talented here...
2. Trance: Most important since it is all electronic and was once the alien genre. I think this is pretty important because it would be the future dance music, and would give some aura to the game that would be alien like.
3. Techno: Self explanatory.
4. House: Aliens have to have soul too. This stuff shouldn't be too electronic. I think we could try to make this funky, but still sounding alien at the same time. I'll come out with ideas for this too.
5. Breakbeat: If anybody can rap or do some kinda alien hiphop thing, we should try this out.
6. Ambient: Just like the in game music, except on the radio. When a battle isn't happening, this could be the calm down music for the weary space traveller.

That's just a brain drain for now. It's late and I'm kinda tired, but I think this should get us on the right track. IDK, maybe we already are...

UPDATE: Techno, Trance and House could be merged into a club station... Breakbeat & Pop could be one station. Ambient just stays where its at.
Agree with all of those, except maybe merging Breakbeat and Pop wouldn't be a good idea. Just my opinion, though, so lets hear about other users (Turbo?). Oh also, there also need to be some other more genres... others might have good ideas. Oh, and don't forget about the User track player, that is a must.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

MC707 wrote:Ok, I finally did some serious and heavy modifiying and a little sorting to the non-music section (what we are doing right now) of the wiki. Suggestions? Comments? Visit the page and scroll down to In-Flight Non-Musical Audio
I like what you have done with the place. However, the Development:Audio page is getting so large now as to be difficult to read. Should we move In-Flight Non-Musical Audio to a separate wiki page?

I have added the last news items I wrote, and made a new category for Public Service Announcements, both under the starter station.

Here is a refinement on the call-in joke we did about a couple of pages back:
DJ: OK folks, today's call-in question is "Why did the chicken jump through the unstable wormhole?" Our winner will receive chicken dinner for two at Fuzzy's Chicken. That's Fuzzy's Chicken, with locations all over the Crucible Sector. Fuzzy's Chicken, it's the best! Let's go to our first caller. Caller, what is your name?
Aera voice, with translator overlay: Leafblighter
DJ: Well Leafblighter, it sounds like you are Aeran. Before you give your answer, can you even eat chicken?
Aera: Silly monkey. While my biology is superior to yours, my nutritional needs are the same.
DJ: All righty then, what is your answer to why did the chicken jump through the unstable wormhole?
Aera: The inferior poultry always vanishes.
DJ: Judges? (whispering) We don't want to piss him off, he's Aeran for Pete's sake... (normal voice) Congratulations! Your response was very funny, in the context of your race, so you win the chicken dinner! Since you might scare the other customers at Fuzzy's Chicken, please stay on the line so we can get a location and have that Fuzzy's Chicken shipped to you right away. And please don't shoot the courier when he arrives (forced laughter) ha ha ha...
Since the chicken restaurant is sponsoring the prize, thereby getting some low-cost air time, every time the DJ said the name "Fuzzy's Chicken" it would be in a positive-sounding tone.

What do you think? And don't forget to post more ideas for news, sports, PSAs, or call-in events. Even better, do we have any volunteers to start fleshing out the ideas into scripts, and/or making some recordings?
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo, MC707, Psycodeine:
*Great* job all of you, with wiki, new ideas, categorizing music and stations, and... Fuzzy's Chicken :mrgreen:

BTW MC707, When Psycodeine mentions short interruptions during a song, I think he's saying that he'd like the tech feature to do it like a real DJ does, lowering the music volume a bit (still > 0) just for those seconds, saying something like "i have nothing to say but I do this so you can't rip the whole song from the radio, dontcha love the majors..." :wink: and then restoring normal volume for the music.
And since we can't replicate the interruptible music pieces with all the possible interruptions, there's the need on the code side (dunno if already doable) for temporary volume control for the background music while the interruption audio is played, plus the need for non-linear snippet play, as these special interruptions are played in overdub and not in plain sequence. Did I understand it right?
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

I like a in game slow jazz/Lounge/fusion station with a spacey twist.[1][2][3][4]

Before a show we can use as a commercial "this program is sponsor by ... [name of product/cooperation]"

A older idea that i heft for the game is a intro movie.
And a good style for the intro is [5].

And a good source for cc license music that i heft found:
http://www.rrradio.nl

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPUt6Xtmedk
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHE4T4LeJSQ
[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ucIYKLxOPY
[4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRzD27NEgI

[5] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QsIRxtszA

EDIT: for some POP songs we can made some music videos and put them on youtube and some torrents sites ;)
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Turbo wrote:I like what you have done with the place. However, the Development:Audio page is getting so large now as to be difficult to read. Should we move In-Flight Non-Musical Audio to a separate wiki page?
You read my mind! Or maybe you read the discussion page in the wiki? I wrote that even before modifying the In-Flight Non-Musical Audio section. :wink: I will do the moving of the section into a new wiki page. What do you want the page to be called? In-Flight Non-Musical Audio? (BTW I love the wiki... dunno why but I am feeling like a wiki maintainer hehehe)
Turbo wrote:I have added the last news items I wrote, and made a new category for Public Service Announcements, both under the starter station.
Yep, I was thinking about that. Thanks for adding that.
Turbo wrote:Here is a refinement on the call-in joke we did about a couple of pages back:
DJ: OK folks, today's call-in question is "Why did the chicken jump through the unstable wormhole?" Our winner will receive chicken dinner for two at Fuzzy's Chicken. That's Fuzzy's Chicken, with locations all over the Crucible Sector. Fuzzy's Chicken, it's the best! Let's go to our first caller. Caller, what is your name?
Aera voice, with translator overlay: Leafblighter
DJ: Well Leafblighter, it sounds like you are Aeran. Before you give your answer, can you even eat chicken?
Aera: Silly monkey. While my biology is superior to yours, my nutritional needs are the same.
DJ: All righty then, what is your answer to why did the chicken jump through the unstable wormhole?
Aera: The inferior poultry always vanishes.
DJ: Judges? (whispering) We don't want to piss him off, he's Aeran for Pete's sake... (normal voice) Congratulations! Your response was very funny, in the context of your race, so you win the chicken dinner! Since you might scare the other customers at Fuzzy's Chicken, please stay on the line so we can get a location and have that Fuzzy's Chicken shipped to you right away. And please don't shoot the courier when he arrives (forced laughter) ha ha ha...
Since the chicken restaurant is sponsoring the prize, thereby getting some low-cost air time, every time the DJ said the name "Fuzzy's Chicken" it would be in a positive-sounding tone.

What do you think? And don't forget to post more ideas for news, sports, PSAs, or call-in events. Even better, do we have any volunteers to start fleshing out the ideas into scripts, and/or making some recordings?
Whahahaha nice nice, really made me laugh :lol: Will post some of my ideas a little later, probably today. I already thought about some :idea:
I actually feel like volunteering for recordings, for a DJ and commercials, phone calls, whatever you need. You know, I have a talent for changing voices and even copying voices. For scripts, well I guess I would need to learn. Any advice on the matter?
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:Turbo, MC707, Psycodeine:
*Great* job all of you, with wiki, new ideas, categorizing music and stations, and... Fuzzy's Chicken :mrgreen:
CLoneWolf wrote:BTW MC707, When Psycodeine mentions short interruptions during a song, I think he's saying that he'd like the tech feature to do it like a real DJ does, lowering the music volume a bit (still > 0) just for those seconds, saying something like "i have nothing to say but I do this so you can't rip the whole song from the radio, dontcha love the majors..." :wink: and then restoring normal volume for the music.
And since we can't replicate the interruptible music pieces with all the possible interruptions, there's the need on the code side (dunno if already doable) for temporary volume control for the background music while the interruption audio is played, plus the need for non-linear snippet play, as these special interruptions are played in overdub and not in plain sequence. Did I understand it right?
Oh yes yes yes, I reread that and I got it. It is the same thing I was talking about, you know, the intro of the songs that the DJ does. Yes that is a good idea indeed.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

www2 wrote:I like a in game slow jazz/Lounge/fusion station with a spacey twist.[1][2][3][4]

Before a show we can use as a commercial "this program is sponsor by ... [name of product/cooperation]"
Do you mean before a segment/talk show/music show starts? Yes, that is definitely a plus. That would be a sub-section of the commercials section, but they would be coded to begin just before every show. The other generic commercials I was talking about would appear in between songs.

Another thing that could go in between songs would be recordings promoting the actual radionet station. For instance, a song ends, fading away slowly. The song ends. Then, the following plays "Trant 1-O-5 (Trant 105.0 [frequency]), the radionet for menly workers." or something like that. What do y'all think?
www2 wrote:A older idea that i heft for the game is a intro movie.
And a good style for the intro is [5].
Where/when would an intro movie play? Like, when starting VS you mean?
www2 wrote:And a good source for cc license music that i heft found:
I guess that would be a good place to upload music too, and get a little coverage and donation (if I read right that page)
I like them. And the description sounds A LOT like something the DJ could say before the song... "Deep cosmic space relaxing soothing space music for those that like to chillout to music from outer space, inner space, or the hearts of space! Soothing ambient sounds and soundscape type electronic meditation music combine with NASA like thoughts [changed "videos" with "thoughts"] of rockets blasting off, satellites in orbit and the earth and moon from space.
www2 wrote:EDIT: for some POP songs we can made some music videos and put them on youtube and some torrents sites ;)
Sounds nice, could post them in my account since I have a decent (if not millionaire) amount of subscribers.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

MC707 wrote:
www2 wrote:I like a in game slow jazz/Lounge/fusion station with a spacey twist.[1][2][3][4]

Do you mean before a segment/talk show/music show starts? Yes, that is definitely a plus. That would be a sub-section of the commercials section, but they would be coded to begin just before every show. The other generic commercials I was talking about would appear in between songs.
yes that was also my idea
MC707 wrote: Another thing that could go in between songs would be recordings promoting the actual radionet station. For instance, a song ends, fading away slowly. The song ends. Then, the following plays "Trant 1-O-5 (Trant 105.0 [frequency]), the radionet for menly workers." or something like that. What do y'all think?
Also a good idea.
MC707 wrote: Where/when would an intro movie play? Like, when starting VS you mean?
More if a player start a new campaing/game in the style of the most japane's games.
And in the game time line like this:
Main menu -> new game ->Atlantis to one of the jump points. -> a pirate attack -> on the point that the ship be blow up start the intro -> Atlantis
MC707 wrote:
www2 wrote:And a good source for cc license music that i heft found:
I guess that would be a good place to upload music too, and get a little coverage and donation (if I read right that page)
i can only agree on this one.
MC707 wrote: I like them. And the description sounds A LOT like something the DJ could say before the song... "Deep cosmic space relaxing soothing space music for those that like to chillout to music from outer space, inner space, or the hearts of space! Soothing ambient sounds and soundscape type electronic meditation music combine with NASA like thoughts [changed "videos" with "thoughts"] of rockets blasting off, satellites in orbit and the earth and moon from space.
This can be use in the jazz/Lounge/fusion station.
MC707 wrote: Sounds nice, could post them in my account since I have a decent (if not millionaire) amount of subscribers.
Can your pm me the link of your tube account page?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanks for the info.
www2 wrote:
MC707 wrote: Sounds nice, could post them in my account since I have a decent (if not millionaire) amount of subscribers.
Can your pm me the link of your tube account page?
Of course, just mind I am not a youtube account page professional designer! :lol: It looks decent though, I think....
Will PM you for that.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

OK, while I was asleep last night, I had a dream which gave me an idea.

Along with the temporary volume control that's being suggested, we could set 'cue points' for each song where certain events could unfold along with the volume control. For example, when the song reaches a time (say 1:22 seconds into the song) which has been pre-programmed into an XML or something, it triggers the volume to slide down and the soundclip to play. The XML knows the exact duration of that sound clip which is being played over the music in each station, and will start sliding up the volume before the MC or DJ stops talking (about 2 seconds before), and then continue playing the song. It is a lot like what a DJ does when he is talking on the radio: like an automation clip of sorts.

Your thoughts?
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Well, that would be the idea. The only thing is, the DJ will only talk (and lower the song volume with your idea) in the beggining or the end, right? Interrupting in the middle of the song wouldn't be so nice, I think. But yeah, that sounds like a good idea. We just have to find out how, though it shouldn't be too difficult (probably the use of XML as you said.) We should find the easiest/simplest way of doing that.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

MC707 wrote:You read my mind! Or maybe you read the discussion page in the wiki? I wrote that even before modifying the In-Flight Non-Musical Audio section. :wink: I will do the moving of the section into a new wiki page. What do you want the page to be called? In-Flight Non-Musical Audio? (BTW I love the wiki... dunno why but I am feeling like a wiki maintainer hehehe)
Ok I'm done moving the page. Did some more heavy editing, hope you like how the page is starting to look. I gave the Public Service Announcements section that Turbo did, a level2 since it is generic, except for special cases.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

Maybe only in the middle for the long club station when the music isn't playing too much: like some kind of electro house song where the song kinda fades out (no real melodic stuff) just drums, or ambience. That would we when the DJ could talk in the middle of the song. Otherwise, just at the beginning and ends before the song comes in.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Psycodeine wrote:Maybe only in the middle for the long club station when the music isn't playing too much: like some kind of electro house song where the song kinda fades out (no real melodic stuff) just drums, or ambience. That would we when the DJ could talk in the middle of the song. Otherwise, just at the beginning and ends before the song comes in.
Agreed. BTW congrats with yer new name.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Ok, I am done (I was done lots of hours ago, just posted this right now :P ) with the job of moving the new project section to a new page. Modified some stuff that is explained in the History page of the same wiki page, too. Visit the new page here.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

I guess I'm really interested in getting this off of the ground, though I'm not at home able to make music nowadays.
When I get home I will start making at least 5 new tracks for the radio stations as I said earlier.
I think that we should also set a time frame for the completion of these tracks. Perhaps in the next month? IDK when the next release of VS is.
A month sounds good. If at least every member on the committee produced those songs, it might be enough content to break it up. I'll just expand on my thinking that I had earlier. Maybe we should associate each station with a certain alien race. These are just examples of what I am trying to brainstorm:

Pop Station: AeraPop 1236.2 GRN -- galaxy's most uplifting radio station featuring all the new artists from Cephid 17 to the outerworlds.
- DJ: Somebody like Ryan Secrest.
- Commercials: surgical enhancements (cosmetic), gum (have no idea here, maybe something special that freshens breath for a month), ship parts, malls and shopping + good trades/steals/deals, etc.
- Phone in: Just like America's Top 40, somebody calls in with a relationships/dating problem, or questions about celebs. Presidential candidates call in to talk about their personal lives along with top celebrities.
- News: Local celebrities exotic pet escapes, frantic candidate for office involved in crushing affair...

Club Station: ClubISO 5723.0 GRN -- You dance to our government regulated beats or we kill you! [Club station includes trance, techno, house]
- DJ: I listen to this station in my hometown where there's a guy that speaks Spanish, might want some alien with a Spanish accent telling me what the next song is, like Antonio Banderas or possibly some crazy Russian Soviet like voice actor. I could probably do that easily.
- Commercials: Club stations don't have many commericals, but if any: alcoholic beverages, local planet's restaurants, nightlife stuff + drug abuse (like that commercial where that kid tells us that his pills are for hip replacements, cancer, etc.) + LOTS AND LOTS OF GOVERNMENT PROPOGANDA!
- Phone in: Might be hard to fit in... IDK right now, people complaining about their lives being told to shut up by the DJ and that the government watches your every move. Random rants that take less than a few seconds.
- News: Another spy caught, government tightens press censorship (For the publics own good of course), government 'elects' new 'president' (ehm. dictator), government sends peasants to labour (ehm. worker redistribution) camps, govenment buys out failing spaceship companies, containment doctrine increases tensions...

Breakbeat Station: BeatzRUsHumans 3984.4 GRN -- The only music that really is human, we think. [Think this one might need a name change, if you come up with anything more clever, and a more clever slogan.
- DJ: Somebody that sounds like Kanye or T-Pain.
- Commercials: Vacations and travel booking, free stuff, computer problems (on ships), rehab (from alien liquor), ads for used ship parts, etc.
- Phone in: Problems with the EXs, life in the hood (ehm. galaxy), how I like to hang but keep getting attacked by the rival faction.
- News: War erupts between local pirates, new drugs produced reach record high sales among youth, junk dealer says he makes a profit off of IntergalacticBay, IntergalacticBay pirates arrested for pirating 10 Exabytes of data off of leading sites + arrests made + IG music industry prosecutes in IGSC (Intergalactic Supreme Court).

Ambient Station: RLaaxn 2903.4 GRN -- If its too boring for you, we don't care dead beat!
- DJ: Some really boring person like Lou Dobbs, or that guy who reads out stock prices on CNN.
- Commercials: Spacecraft loan readjustments, get out of debt, comm (phone) holobook advertising, computer server ads.
- Phone in: DJ tells people to relax and start breathing in ammonia everytime life throws problems at you.
- News: Stocks are steady, part sales have not declined, ammonia breathing promotes cure for disease in the Klk'k, new laws promote no growth or collapse in spaceship parts this year...

I think we need one more station, but I'm a little fuzzy on what needs to happen here. Hardcore perhaps? Naaahhhhh. I'll let others pipe in about this.

This might need to be put on the wiki page to give some general idea as what needs to come up soon... just to fire things up since that's what I do on a day to day basis.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Psycodeine wrote:I guess I'm really interested in getting this off of the ground, though I'm not at home able to make music nowadays.
When I get home I will start making at least 5 new tracks for the radio stations as I said earlier.
I think that we should also set a time frame for the completion of these tracks. Perhaps in the next month? IDK when the next release of VS is.
A month sounds good. If at least every member on the committee produced those songs, it might be enough content to break it up. I'll just expand on my thinking that I had earlier. Maybe we should associate each station with a certain alien race. These are just examples of what I am trying to brainstorm:
I agree both points. We need community members to help, so count me in. As I said, I already have a LOT of ideas for songs. I will rush. Associating stations to races sounds like a good idea too... though we have to really think which kind of music fits for a race, and which faction/race will run the stations. I'll explain in the next point.
Psycodeine wrote:Pop Station: AeraPop 1236.2 GRN -- galaxy's most uplifting radio station featuring all the new artists from Cephid 17 to the outerworlds.
- DJ: Somebody like Ryan Secrest.
- Commercials: surgical enhancements (cosmetic), gum (have no idea here, maybe something special that freshens breath for a month), ship parts, malls and shopping + good trades/steals/deals, etc.
- Phone in: Just like America's Top 40, somebody calls in with a relationships/dating problem, or questions about celebs. Presidential candidates call in to talk about their personal lives along with top celebrities.
- News: Local celebrities exotic pet escapes, frantic candidate for office involved in crushing affair...
My idea for the Aera would be to have rather heavy music, like heavy metal, metal, rock, classic rock, and so on. I will assume you haven't read VS races info or the VS canon story, so I'll explain briefly. The Aera are a race that grew in a inhospitable planet, which formed the overall race's 'personallity'. The document, if I remember well, made the analogy "If earth is 'mother earth' for humans, then the Aera planet is the 'drunken badass father' for the Aerans. Therefore, I doubt the Aera would like songs about love and popularity, etc, which are a bit of the trend for pop music. (I am generalizing a little bit here, Michael's Thriller is pop and doesn't quite talk about love :lol: )

Oh and BTW, Aera seem to have no control nor relationship with Cephid, since its a Confed/Klkk controled system, if I recall.
Psycodeine wrote:Club Station: ClubISO 5723.0 GRN -- You dance to our government regulated beats or we kill you! [Club station includes trance, techno, house]
- DJ: I listen to this station in my hometown where there's a guy that speaks Spanish, might want some alien with a Spanish accent telling me what the next song is, like Antonio Banderas.
- Commercials: Club stations don't have many commericals, but if any: alcoholic beverages, local planet's restaurants, nightlife stuff + drug abuse (like that commercial where that kid tells us that his pills are for hip replacements, cancer, etc.) + LOTS AND LOTS OF GOVERNMENT PROPOGANDA!
- Phone in: Might be hard to fit in... IDK right now, people complaining about their lives being told to shut up by the DJ and that the government watches your every move. Random rants that take less than a few seconds.
- News: Another spy caught, government tightens press censorship (For the publics own good of course), government 'elects' new 'president' (ehm. dictator), government sends peasants to labour (ehm. worker redistribution) camps, govenment buys out failing spaceship companies, containment doctrine increases tensions...
I speak spanish, yknow? :P (and english, too of course :roll: )
Psycodeine wrote:Breakbeat Station: BeatzRUsHumans 3984.4 GRN -- The only music that really is human, we think. [Think this one might need a name change, if you come up with anything more clever, and a more clever slogan.
- DJ: Somebody that sounds like Kanye or T-Pain.
- Commercials: Vacations and travel booking, free stuff, computer problems (on ships), rehab (from alien liquor), ads for used ship parts, etc.
- Phone in: Problems with the EXs, life in the hood (ehm. galaxy), how I like to hang but keep getting attacked by the rival faction.
- News: War erupts between local pirates, new drugs produced reach record high sales among youth, junk dealer says he makes a profit off of IntergalacticBay, IntergalacticBay pirates arrested for pirating 10 Exabytes of data off of leading sites + arrests made + IG music industry prosecutes in IGSC (Intergalactic Supreme Court).
Technically speaking, this is not the only music that is really human. ISO are humans, too. :wink:
Psycodeine wrote:Ambient Station: RLaaxn 2903.4 GRN -- If its too boring for you, we don't care dead beat!
- DJ: Some really boring person like Lou Dobbs, or that guy who reads out stock prices on CNN.
- Commercials: Spacecraft loan readjustments, get out of debt, comm (phone) holobook advertising, computer server ads.
- Phone in: DJ tells people to relax and start breathing in ammonia everytime life throws problems at you.
- News: Stocks are steady, part sales have not declined, ammonia breathing promotes cure for disease in the Klk'k, new laws promote no growth or collapse in spaceship parts this year...
Well, I agree with having ambient station for Rlaan. I don't like the slogan too much. Also, the DJ shouldn't be someone boring (not good for the station, after all), but someone logical. Rlaan, according to documentation, are 0% artistic and humorous (IIRC right), but have 100% 'logical' brains, like the logical part of the brain we humans have.
Psycodeine wrote:I think we need one more station, but I'm a little fuzzy on what needs to happen here. Hardcore perhaps? Naaahhhhh. I'll let others pipe in about this.
Well, this is a brainstorm, so we could have even more. Lets wait for a little user input on this and for them to give ideas too.
Psycodeine wrote:This might need to be put on the wiki page to give some general idea as what needs to come up soon... just to fire things up since that's what I do on a day to day basis.
Yes, we must first receive some input from other users so we can then put the ideas to the wiki.

Oh and overall, commercials should be mostly generic, meaning nearly no specific commercials for specific stations. At least that would help a lot if we are talking about having lots of commercials, while keeping the HDD space smaller.

About news items... I am not sure if we are making those generic too. I guess those might be station specific (in fact I think its a good idea...), but public service announcements (as suggested by Turbo) could be generic, though you didn't post ideas for PSA so no prob.

In the end, station names should probably be set when we have solid ideas of the music it will contain and the DJ playing it. More or less like a book, first write it and then give it a name...
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Wow, there is a lot of stuff to comment on.

The new wiki page looks good. I now regret the phrase "non-musical audio" where "in flight broadcast audio" is probably better (i.e. some of the discussion includes music). But that's fine. Wikis are easy to update, easy to roll back if you make a mistake, etc, so they are a good tool for brainstorming. So I would suggest dumping the ideas into the "Material" category that is there, then as people have time they can write the detailed news/call/whatever script in the appropriate category and then remove it from the Materials bin.

Some news, phone calls, propaganda, or PSAs might be specific to some particular factions or stations. But until we actually create enough material to fill up one station, I am not concerned about it. Look at GNN -- I once destroyed a Luddite base to see if I could (it took a while), and the news story generated by the game made it into a major tragedy. So from that I conclude that instead of staying neutral, GNN changes sides with every story, just like modern news agencies. All the game's players are humans so they will instinctively take a human view, i.e. not many new players will immediately seek out the Rlaan radio station (though that may be a bad example since that station would have a lot of Jerry Lewis and Yoko Ono, and I'm not sure if those are still under copyright).

If you want to do voices, either for these news items or for the missing faction ship-to-ship voices, please jump in and do it. I started a new thread in the Music and Sound forum where we share voice acting advice that might not be covered by the tutorials. Just note in the wiki what you are working on, so we avoid duplication of effort (not too much chance of that, with so few actors).
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Nice station detailing, just a few quick observations, all of which are heavily IMHO's: :mrgreen:

Deadlines are good to reach the goal but sometimes tend to clash with real lives; I for one, never commit myself to something unless I'm totally sure I can do it.
Especially when it comes to creativity, mine is almost non-existent and totally deaf to scheduling; "Far East" is a relic from the early 90's, and "Another Day In Vegastrike" was basically born in an afternoon, but only because I had played the game long enough for those game aspects shaping into verses. Don't count on me as a schedulable composer, I wish I was, but meh... :|
When you mention the "members of the committee" we know what you're talking about, but that might sound somehow official to newcomers, where the only requirement to be in is to contribute something (unless of course, you're aiming at a stronger commitment by the committee - word joke fest! :mrgreen: )
As for the boring DJ, let's not stress it too much or no one will ever listen to that station ;)
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:Ok, I'm done with some commercials. Tried to adapt them the most I could to the VS universe, recommendations before these commercials go to the wiki are open (and welcome).

Hahaha I like them, I just hope no political correctness issues will arise, you know, a kid shouldn't bet a kidney unless they got at least 7 of 'em... :D
MC707 wrote:BTW notice the forum reference in the confed military ad...? :lol:
This one?
MC707 wrote:I used to study in a university planet. I constantly got into pointless fights I didn’t understand about creating new FTL travel systems or securing applications from crackers. I got tired of arguing about what’s right. So I dropped out of the university planet and joined the military. Now, I –know- I’m right… in the military!

Nope, sorry, too subtle ;)
....aaaand by the way, I'd like to read "DONE by MC707" for at least a faction in the audio wiki before you resign your job as voiceover actor to serve the Confeds with honor and beams :mrgreen: