And now, for something completely different...

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

And now, for something completely different...

Post by CLoneWolf »

*WARNING* what follows is not to be taken seriously! It may harm you otherwise! :mrgreen:

One of these days, a few vs-related joking rhymes came to my mind, uncalled for.
Now this is what happens when insanity meets some free time and plenty of free software...

http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/Another ... strike.ogg

...and since the recording was a raw 1st attempt, I'm totally out of tune and the accent sounds even worse than usual...
so here are the "lyrics" (big word!) for comprehension's sake:

http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/Another ... strike.txt

Also the midi part is a bare minimum of drum and bass just to give the idea, but I could work on a richer arrangement if someone is insane enough to find a use for this. (And in this case, this joke can be considered CC-BY-SA / GPL)

(CLoneWolf specs away before others start hurling big things at him :roll: )
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: And now, for something completely different...

Post by loki1950 »

(CLoneWolf specs away before others start hurling big things at him :roll: )
Not that bad as he reaches for a sponge brick :wink: And if you are on that freighter with your vehicle lots of time for more insanity :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

nice, very nice and hilarious. made me and my brothers laugh
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:nice, very nice and hilarious. made me and my brothers laugh
Very good, as that's what I hoped it would do at least for some spacers :mrgreen:
Thanks for your appreciation!
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

With vew dozen of this type of songs and some DJ's we can made some in game radio stations with some gta style of humor.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

www2 wrote:With vew dozen of this type of songs and some DJ's we can made some in game radio stations with some gta style of humor.
Very nice idea but... few dozen?!?!?!? OK we're not talking about world hits, but many famous bands haven't reached few dozen official songs yet, it'll require a lot of contributors... Don't look at me, as my "creativity" is as predictable as Schroedinger and Heisenberg make you think of, and as frequent as Halley's comet appearances :roll:

But of course, if this thing starts for real, I'll surely rearrange the music and record more acceptable (hopefully!) vocals, hoping that Phil Collins won't sue me for title parody and Dave Gahan for copying his typical chorus+reverb on the vocals.

And by the way, about "Far East", I noticed that there's a little saturation on the low frequencies at high volume, so I'll have to record it again. The final version will also be CC-BY-SA / GPL (though Stallman himself doesn't recommend GPL for artistic content, but I've also read that some are concerned about uncertainty of compatibility between CC-BY-SA and GPL... meh, I hate legal stuff!)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Fedora has google start page that has a filter for the various licence when searching for content as they are very strict on what they will allow http://start.fedoraproject.org/ it can be handy It's the default home page for FF on recent installs. but we will worry about that when we actually have content ;)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

loki1950 wrote:Fedora has google start page that has a filter for the various licence when searching for content as they are very strict on what they will allow http://start.fedoraproject.org/ it can be handy It's the default home page for FF on recent installs. but we will worry about that when we actually have content ;)
I know what you're trying to do! You want to distract me with the website, then hit me with that sponge brick! :twisted:

About the DJ thing, I was thinking, other than talking of this and that while announcing songs, they could receive calls from listeners, and some funny chats might get inspiration from some threads on this forum for a sort of inside jokes...
...besides, chats should be easier to write than songs... hmmmm.....
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

www2 wrote:With vew dozen of this type of songs and some DJ's we can made some in game radio stations with some gta style of humor.
Thats the best idea I've heard in ages!!!!
CLoneWolf wrote:About the DJ thing, I was thinking, other than talking of this and that while announcing songs, they could receive calls from listeners, and some funny chats might get inspiration from some threads on this forum for a sort of inside jokes...
...besides, chats should be easier to write than songs... hmmmm.....
well, recieving calls from listeners also happens in GTA SA, too.

We could also make radio adverts in a GTA SA fashion. Believe me, they are some of the best parodies I've heard in my friggin life! They sound serious (really, they do,) but the content is hilarious.

Songs do not necessarily need to be of a hilarious nature. In fact, we would overdo it if we put mainly funny songs. DJs and commercials should be our funny orientation.

Having said that, we could even *call* between ourselves, (though not in the way you are thinking). We could first plan here in the forums, for instance, a call from someone in a system to the DJ. Then we record individually (DJ and caller), modify the caller's recording to make them sound like telephone, and finally we put the voices together. what do we get? a nice interestellar call in a holo radio.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:well, recieving calls from listeners also happens in GTA SA, too.
Believe it or not, I didn't know it :roll:
MC707 wrote:Having said that, we could even *call* between ourselves, (though not in the way you are thinking). We could first plan here in the forums, for instance, a call from someone in a system to the DJ. Then we record individually (DJ and caller), modify the caller's recording to make them sound like telephone, and finally we put the voices together. what do we get? a nice interestellar call in a holo radio.
Good :) My voice is already more present than it should, but I could always help with sound post production, taking some burden off the voice actors.

Just a negative thought: all jumps and docking/undocking interrupt the current soundtrack. Very appropriate for docking, think of the news and commercial center soundtracks, or the oceanic theme, but that way we could never listen to the end of a sufficiently long program. That leads to 2 ideas: possibly make radio survive jumps (standard faction related music can change as it reflects jumping between differently controlled systems), and possibly start playing a radio ogg from a random point, not always from the start; alternatively, have playlists of short radio contents that play in queue, but randomly starting from any of the single contents. Of course, I have no idea if these things are doable at all.

How about a call from an ISO supporter, advocating the cause, the DJ makes "casual" questions with the goal to locate him as he speaks, keyboard noises (DJ notifying security) then at some point we hear intruders, the ISO man going like wtf, brawl sounds, "help! help! I'm being oppressed!" more noise, end of call

Let's sum up what's needed for the radio project:
- writers (commercials, DJ talk, calls, song lyrics)
- music composers (songs, jingles) not necessarily owning all that's needed to make the final ogg. In that case...
- ...music makers to make the unequipped composers' works come to life
- voice actors (everything! :D )
- post producers

and finally,
- a brainstorming topic, named "What's the frequency, Deucalion?" (sorry, can't help messing with real song titles :roll: ) where even a single line joke or idea can be posted by anyone, and I repeat, *anyone*.

Why am I stressing that? Well, I've noticed that whenever we've asked for feedback in the voice acting threads, we've rarely gotten anything from people who weren't already contributing as actors or having coding/content roles, as if there's an official voice acting team and no one else is entitled to give opinions... wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't be too lazy and shy, share your ideas, give feedback to the others' ideas! (Pretty please with icing on top? :mrgreen: ) One day I wrote a very vague post hinting at a voice filter to try for radio messages, with absolutely no intention of being dragged in... and then I got dragged in :lol:
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Here some ideas that i heft for the radio:

commercial:
A inter gelatic ISP that support RFC 1149, RFC 1313, RFC 1437, RFC 2322, RFC 2549, RFC 2795, RFC 3251, RFC 3514, RFC 4042, RFC 4824.

Pimp my spaceship (A holo tv show that pimp a space ship like in the "pimp my ride" but in stet the show pimp up a car the show pimp up a space ship.)

Space busters (a Mythbusters like show that test myths like "can a human do a space walk with out a space shut" or "can your survive a Aera spasm")

Pop Culture references:
Star Trek
Star Wars
MST3K

injocks:

SPAM

stunk-cow (a hybrid of a stunk and a cow that use for milk and very hi qalty leader. and come from a chat log Pimp my space ship)

propaganda agents iso, pirates, Aera and Rlaan

Open source references:
Linux
Richard Stallman
open space map(a parody on openstreetmap.org)
Reprap (a 3d printer)
Blender 3D

And use Nerdcore in state of gangster rap that your see on Mtv.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:
MC707 wrote:well, recieving calls from listeners also happens in GTA SA, too.
Believe it or not, I didn't know it :roll:
I am a LONG (when I mean long I mean really viciously long - yknow I played GTA SA-MP (multiplaya) for a long time too)
CLoneWolf wrote:Just a negative thought: all jumps and docking/undocking interrupt the current soundtrack. Very appropriate for docking, think of the news and commercial center soundtracks, or the oceanic theme, but that way we could never listen to the end of a sufficiently long program. That leads to 2 ideas: possibly make radio survive jumps (standard faction related music can change as it reflects jumping between differently controlled systems), and possibly start playing a radio ogg from a random point, not always from the start; alternatively, have playlists of short radio contents that play in queue, but randomly starting from any of the single contents. Of course, I have no idea if these things are doable at all.
OR 3. emulate a radio soundtrack system like the one GTA SA uses. I say this because that radio system is brilliant:
1. it has a dynamic playlist, that (unlike GTA ViceCity) plays both DJ's tracks as well as music tracks dynamically, without a sequencial order that replays everytime,

2. has a weather forecast system that actually predicts weather changes in game, and whenever a DJ gives a weather report, that weather is played (yes, theres no weather in VS :lol: but DJs could inform of a blockade in X place, or an imminent war just infront of the player, or god knows what,) and

3. It features a user track player, a brilliant idea especially for a game as big as VS (in terms of size - GBs,) the problem with VS being it has a limited ammount of music despite its size. Agree with me or not, despite the amazing music that VS currently features, you can get bored of hearing the same song over and over again. With user track player, a player can paste shortcuts to TBs of music, and place them in the VS user folder (or whatever is called, yknow the folder where you find your save files,) and never hear the same song twice. Plus, we can add a DJ to the user track player, which was lacking in GTA SA.
CLoneWolf wrote:How about a call from an ISO supporter, advocating the cause, the DJ makes "casual" questions with the goal to locate him as he speaks, keyboard noises (DJ notifying security) then at some point we hear intruders, the ISO man going like wtf, brawl sounds, "help! help! I'm being oppressed!" more noise, end of call
very nice idea of a call. we can make many of these, and as you said, we can get ideas from everyone.
CLoneWolf wrote:Why am I stressing that? Well, I've noticed that whenever we've asked for feedback in the voice acting threads, we've rarely gotten anything from people who weren't already contributing as actors or having coding/content roles, as if there's an official voice acting team and no one else is entitled to give opinions... wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't be too lazy and shy, share your ideas, give feedback to the others' ideas! (Pretty please with icing on top? :mrgreen: ) One day I wrote a very vague post hinting at a voice filter to try for radio messages, with absolutely no intention of being dragged in... and then I got dragged in :lol:
The problem seems to be the fact that there are not too many people around...
CLoneWolf wrote:Let's sum up what's needed for the radio project:
- writers (commercials, DJ talk, calls, song lyrics)
- music composers (songs, jingles) not necessarily owning all that's needed to make the final ogg. In that case...
- ...music makers to make the unequipped composers' works come to life
- voice actors (everything! :D )
- post producers

and finally,
- a brainstorming topic, named "What's the frequency, Deucalion?" (sorry, can't help messing with real song titles :roll: ) where even a single line joke or idea can be posted by anyone, and I repeat, *anyone*.
sounds like a plan
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

www2 wrote:commercial:
A inter gelatic ISP that support RFC 1149, RFC 1313, RFC 1437, RFC 2322, RFC 2549, RFC 2795, RFC 3251, RFC 3514, RFC 4042, RFC 4824.

Pimp my spaceship (A holo tv show that pimp a space ship like in the "pimp my ride" but in stet the show pimp up a car the show pimp up a space ship.)

Space busters (a Mythbusters like show that test myths like "can a human do a space walk with out a space shut" or "can your survive a Aera spasm")

Pop Culture references:
Star Trek
Star Wars
MST3K
nice ideas
www2 wrote:And use Nerdcore in state of gangster rap that your see on Mtv.
Just make sure it sounds cool and nice 8)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Well i think that the new sound support that klauss is currently working on would support all this as he is moving to a streaming format to cut down on memory usage.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Well i think that the new sound support that klauss is currently working on would support all this as he is moving to a streaming format to cut down on memory usage.
That would be PERFECT for our cause! Do you happen to know the status of the new sound support? background info, maybe something we can help, as klauss doesn't seem to be active atm.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

You guys are crazy! In a good way. :D

Game soundtracks are normally used to set the mood and/or provide some sounds when the game play itself has no particular sounds to offer. But if we add in short snippets of some or all of the following, we accomplish those purposes while increasing the player's immersion in the game universe:

* emergency broadcasts keyed to scripted events ("WARNING: <faction> ships have been sighted in this system, use extreme caution")
* generic news broadcasts on the war efforts
* talk radio ("This is Burch Lumber, of the EIB Network (that's 'Excellence in Interstellar Broadcasting'). We have Turbo from the Crucible Sector on the line; Turbo, what's on your mind? Well Burch, these Uln defy all logic. No matter what I do they attack me...are they insane, or just stupid? Well Turbo, I think it's a bit of both...") We have plenty of material for the talk radio bits right here in the forums.
* Luddites and ISO breaking into the normal channels with some propaganda, followed by "we apologize for this interruption in broadcasting, we now return you to our regular program"
* music, including CLoneWolf's comedy song (I must admit the title made me think of a Phil Collins song, but the tune you used is great because its simplicity lets the listener focus on the lyrics and sound bites)

In summary, I'm in. Just note that my computer and digital condenser microphone are in shipment to my new job in the US, so I can't make any recordings for a while.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:You guys are crazy! In a good way. :D
Undeniably! :roll:
Turbo wrote:Game soundtracks are normally used to set the mood and/or provide some sounds when the game play itself has no particular sounds to offer. But if we add in short snippets of some or all of the following, we accomplish those purposes while increasing the player's immersion in the game universe:
And IMHO immersion is a great added value; it's one of the reasons why I enjoyed many FreeSpace2 campaigns, both official and contributed, that really make you feel involved in what's happening.
Turbo wrote:* emergency broadcasts keyed to scripted events ("WARNING: <faction> ships have been sighted in this system, use extreme caution")
Exactly, great for keeping you focused in real time
Turbo wrote:* generic news broadcasts on the war efforts
Ayup! Possibly recorded with the news jingle in background (or automatically played by the engine for such snippets), that jingle sounds very news-like and it'd give continuity with the News screen at planets/bases.
The problem with these is that pre-recording all the combinations that are procedurally built in the News screen could boost the media impact quite a bit; speech syntesis would be a great size saver, but I don't know of any speech engine that is as multiplatform as VS is. (No, Sam! You'll never make it to my Linux box! :twisted: )
The middle way solution would be to record each News singleton separately, but then we'd get the typical answering machine discontinuity in voice tone as the singletons get played in a row...
Turbo wrote:* talk radio ("This is Burch Lumber, of the EIB Network (that's 'Excellence in Interstellar Broadcasting'). We have Turbo from the Crucible Sector on the line; Turbo, what's on your mind? Well Burch, these Uln defy all logic. No matter what I do they attack me...are they insane, or just stupid? Well Turbo, I think it's a bit of both...") We have plenty of material for the talk radio bits right here in the forums.
Indeed! the first sources that come to my mind are the help and tactics sections.
Turbo wrote:* Luddites and ISO breaking into the normal channels with some propaganda, followed by "we apologize for this interruption in broadcasting, we now return you to our regular program"
Good continuity again, with the ISO and Luddites splash screens during the game loading.
Turbo wrote:* music, including CLoneWolf's comedy song (I must admit the title made me think of a Phil Collins song, but the tune you used is great because its simplicity lets the listener focus on the lyrics and sound bites)
Haha the title was a planned trap ;) And I hope you liked the little tribute to the current voice actors :mrgreen:
Turbo wrote:In summary, I'm in. Just note that my computer and digital condenser microphone are in shipment to my new job in the US, so I can't make any recordings for a while.
No problem! Meanwhile you can side with Lara Croft and gravedig all that's good from the forum to script for the talk radio ;)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Excellent ideas CLone and turbo! To all these ideas, don't forget about commercials. From every faction and products
ie. "loki: Hi, I'm BJ loki, tight end for the Cephid Mammas and proud proprietor of BJ's Used Ships. Ships from all over the milky way come to find a new home in Cephid 17, just like you. I moved here after I left the Forsaken, to join the pirate…brr I mean the Confed. Even though they do have a lot in common, I noticed there was one thing missing from this great system: a celebrity endorsed used ship shop. That's why I founded BJ's Used Ships. Every one of these beauties is freshly painted, they look brand new. We have new models coming in every morning, usually around 2 AM. We can get you anything! And if you see a ship of your dreams, tell us, we can acquire it for ya! I've taken the skills I've learned as a pro interstellar football player to the used ship business: snatch, grab, and run like hell. BJ's Used Ships. I'm takin low prices, with hot ships!"
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

LOL Good one! :lol:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanks! I got plenty of these, so when we get going with this you can count I will have more like that one :twisted:

BTW did you get the joke of my commercial?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:BTW did you get the joke of my commercial?
....Er... The joke about selling stolen ships? Nope, sorry, I didn't get it :(
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:
MC707 wrote:BTW did you get the joke of my commercial?
....Er... The joke about selling stolen ships? Nope, sorry, I didn't get it :(
:lol: hehehe thanks. Just needed to know if ppl would understand or I needed to be more direct :wink:
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:hehehe thanks. Just needed to know if ppl would understand or I needed to be more direct :wink:
Don't rely on my warped sense of humour, it's quite alien to the rest of humans :roll:
But please keep posting, before someone suggests a talk radio like:

Speaker> Let's run a survey: Why did the chicken jump through the rainbow unstable node?
then the calls...
Unadorned> The chicken has surely seen it as the most logical course of action.
Merchant> To make himself more valuable as you take export costs into account.
Shaper> Some art can only be appreciated by the light of an unstable node.
Andolian> We don't know but we wish our step-chicken all the best.
ISO> No chicken should need to jump anywhere else if their employers treated them with respect and covered all their needs!
Hunter> Dunno, mate, but you know what? You just made me hungry! *jump sound*
Forsaken> WHAT? You cared informing even a simple chicken about node travel and you left us wander through the universe for so long?? And you wonder why we call ourselves Forsaken?!??!?
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

xD and don't forget: Unknown> Umm dunno really.
Homeland Security> Target threw illegal chicken cargo, fire at will!
Rlaan> Thats not funny. Wheres the joke?
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

>Uln: The chicken sought a better place to drink. By the way, I now hate you for interrupting my solitude. Eat tractor beam!
>Aera: The inferior poultry always vanishes.
>Aera #2: Silly chicken, making chicken sounds.
>Rlaan #2: Pardon me, I was told your kind would ask for honey-mustard sauce.

I don't know that we can dynamically build audio news events, as the game does with text. I had envisioned generic news bites that are short in duration. It could represent a quick update between other audio programs, or something that fades in and out quickly like the pilot is flipping through audio channels. But, maybe that is not possible since the news bite would either have to avoid mentioning locations, or those locations would have to be obscured by static (which I think would be a cheap trick), or we would have to stick to non-dynamic-universe items like the "teenage hacker" story which, really, would not pass the "so what" test for the players.

The advertisements and other bits would be fun, though.

You will be pleased to know that, while my own computer is in a crate crossing the Pacific ocean, I built a boot-to-Linux flash drive that includes an SVN version of VS. It's not very stable and crashes to the desktop a lot, but it means I can play on whatever computer I can borrow, until I see my own system again in mid-August or later.
Last edited by Turbo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.