Vegatrance, hope you like it.

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Vegatrance, hope you like it.

Post by Psycodeine »

This is just my trance remake of one of the songs in Vegastrike (forget which on it is). It first starts with breakbeat trance which goes at about 160 BPM, then climbs off to normal trance at 140. Comment on mixing, etc. because I think it still has some work ahead of it (like getting rid of the mud which I think has built up.) If you like, I think this could be part of the game. Thanks to kensuguro for making the original (I think this is a remix of one of his.) I would like to be a part of the music team in any way that I can help, based on my free time.

BTW: Do not consider this a final version, because it is not! I will probably post again soon.

Update*: .OGG version posted so I will consider this one fully GPL, and I am releasing it under the GPL License.
Here's the zip of both versions of the song, see posts below for details. Here's the link.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?toyydgzznmm

BTW: I didn't encode any tags on this, so for those of you who would like to give me some credit.
Title: Vegatrance
Artist: Psycodeine (jnfstnet565)
Album: Vegastrike Collection??? IDK what you guys call the game's full music album.

I will be doing another song soon, hopefully original which could also be added.
Last edited by Psycodeine on Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Vegatrance, hope you like it.

Post by loki1950 »

jnfstnet565 wrote:(like getting rid of the mud which I think has built up.
Yep i do think there is some mud it builds around the strings i think but would have to take a much closer listen and look at the envelope :wink: And BTW we use ogg in game less licensing problems.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

No problem, I can post in .ogg version, just so used to posting most of my stuff with .mp3 on my music pages, forums, etc. Besides, .ogg is open source, so ya got no licensing issues there. This I will definitely do if I want to even consider having something like this added to the game.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

This is good stuff, hope you keep working on it (and release it as gpl). :)

I think it would fit well inside safemode's proposed hyperspace travel.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

AMAZING job!!! I suddendly got the urge to go to a disco damnit :lol:
I would suggest though that you slow down the part where it hypes up and goes fast, cuz I imagined that song as danceable until the song got to the fast part. anyway, fix that and that song is definitely going to my ipod :mrgreen:

btw how did you modify the song? I mean, what software did u use?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

OK. Thanks for the advice. I will post a slowed down version somehow. Unless you want the sped up version for hyperspace...
How did I modify this? Find the right instruments!!!!!
I didn't sample or use anything from the original song. I just found the presets from a few different VSTs that closely matched the original sounds. For example, the HPF strings preset from the Superwave P8 matched the original strings sounds, and several effects of FL Keys gave me the desired result of a full grand piano. For the high lead, I had to improvise. I use FL Studio typically, though I should really use another DAW since FL Studio is not considered professional. Actually, it's slowly becoming professional, and I really like it a lot now that it has more features that I want. Most pros don't use it because it's not exactly the DAW you would use for studio recording.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

OK, I've posted new links at the top so this is now available for download. Zip file includes the two song files, one with the hyperdrive speed up and one without the noticeable speed up (only speeds up slowly to 140BPM so that the trance section can be fast enough). The speed up in the second isn't noticeable, unless you have a trained ear. Thanks for listening, I liked working on this. If you want me to work on this more, or if you think its good enough for the game, post back with another comment.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

incredible! truly good job doing these, definitely goin to my iPod :twisted:
now what license do you give these? I mean, maybe I could mix one of this with another track with my virtual dj, y know? maybe make a really long track composed of maybe 5 tracks or so, cuz sometimes I realize music is kinda repetitive in VS, so we kinda need more material. anyway, good job and I hope you will continue with us :D
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

OK. I'll make some more stuff if possible and then you could make a megamix or something. Thanks.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

thank you too. oh also would you recommend me Logic or Cubase as a DAW? or maybe pro tools (though I've heard it kinda sucks), or Reaper? I think I'll go with Logic, though maybe you know which is the best. oh and does logic support windows and/or linux? thanx in advance
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

Logic, I would definitely recommend as a step up from Garageband on a Mac though I myself have never used it.

Cubase is good if you have a lot of hardware synths (I'm told that it takes up a lot of memory on the software side). Though I must admit, for its price point, it give you what you want including a really good sequencer (mostly good for recording and quantizing) and a nice interface. I would recommend it if you have the money and the hardware synths. Otherwise, don't spend money unless your serious (or you want to get your computer upgraded).

I would not recommend Pro Tools especially since you have to buy an audio interface to use it (it is like the dongle for the software: btw, cubase requires a dongle too). Pro Tools however is a good sequencer, but better for commercial production and it has a lot of features which you might not use. IDK if it has support for VSTs because it uses its own format called the RTAS plugin. Actually, you need a VST to RTAS adapter for the program, so you really shouldn't go to all that trouble to get a program that doesn't support VST natively (since it is the most widely used format in the industry).

Reaper is good, and compact: is great to use, almost as good as FL Studio though the interface is less intuitive. I tried the demo, and in my opinion is that there is a window for everything in Reaper: but it is still a great program and was rated #1 by several computer music magazines. For being so small, it's actually a powerhouse of a DAW (the demo is really lightweight and compact, almost no CPU or memory taken for the program to run well).

Another DAW, Ableton Live has a really good sample set, the ability to DJ your song in parts, and a nice sequencer. It's meant for live recording and playback more than actually coding in notes, but it's not that hard to do either. It has a nice set of effects, and comes with a million samples and stuff. If you like performances or live recording, get this one. It's actually pretty good, just not lightweight (the demo I tried was a little taxing on the cPU, not so much on memory).

Finally, Reason, a lesser known DAW I would not recommend getting. It has a limited selection of Native synthesizers and it is hard to wire other synthesizers or VSTs into the program (unless you learn how to use the proprietary ReWire interfaces). Also, the sequencer (from the demo version I downloaded) was really hard to use, took forever to make one pattern. Though, I wouldn't discourage you from using it because it is powerful due to the "wires interface" when you flip over the back panels on Reason (that's the coolest part about it).

- Oh, to answer your question: Logic only runs on Mac. No Windows or Linux. All of the sequencers I mentioned above run Windows, some might run Linux (I think Cubase??? not sure). For Linux, I would recommend downloading Ardour as a free DAW which is very powerful and built specifically for Linux and Mac (no Windows). It is much like Cubase, with less memory/CPU being hogged. It also supports VSTs well.

IN A NUTSHELL: Cubase and Logic are very good. Cubase I would recommend with hardware synths, Logic for the Mac with softare synths. FL Studio/Reaper for Windows, Ardour for Linux/Mac (if you don't want to install Cubase on your Mac). Though I admit, if you go for broke, Cubase is the most professional program out there. If you are really serious, get Cubase and a computer upgrade (so you can run hardware and software synths smoothly)...

Oh, and thank you for listening to my stuff. Glad you liked it. Since I see your running Ubuntu, start with Ardour and see how you like it.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanks for your large review! I don't have a mac (had one a few years ago), so no Logic. Pity, I've heard is the best. From what you've told me and what Ive read on the net, I think I'll go with cubase. I don't like the idea of search and buy hardware synths, though. What kind of computer you recommend me to run software synths with cubase? also, maybe I'll try Ardour, too. Oh, I'm also surprised FL Studio is better than reaper! I've heard good things about reaper. Again, thanks for your review and, yes, I enjoyed ur music very much.

oh BTW, im getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow, so If I don't feel too well I might not come to the forums for a week or so. though looking I am going to stay home all day, maybe I will come to da forums. wish me luck... all four are goin out :cry:

EDIT: Got all my 4 wisdom teeth out... ouch. Now I look like Quico :roll:

Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

LOL. I have to get two pulled this summer.
Actually, Reaper is better than FL Studio in the sense that it is a smaller less taxing interface. However, the interface is less intuitive relying on a lot more windows to do the job than FL. However, I would recommend Reaper for the actual sound quality and ease of use with wav files. I'm just a bit prejudiced towards FL Studio.
Good job with Cubase, it goes all the way and performs all the functions you need. IF your going to use it with software synths, get the latest up to date omputer with Cubase. Seriously, at least 3-4GB RAM and some Quad Core with 2-3 ghZ. It needs a lot in my opinion, but you should try it out for yourself. I actually haven't done this, but Steinberg might have one on their website.??
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

jnfstnet565 wrote:LOL. I have to get two pulled this summer.
are they gonna use IV sedation on you? I personally opted for local sedation, as I didn't want to be drunk while goin back home and I really don't like the idea of being asleep with general anesthesia. anyway good luck with your teeth, you are gonna need it xD just kidding
ps why don't u get all four out? it is better to simply end the problem once and for all in one go.
jnfstnet565 wrote:Actually, Reaper is better than FL Studio in the sense that it is a smaller less taxing interface. However, the interface is less intuitive relying on a lot more windows to do the job than FL. However, I would recommend Reaper for the actual sound quality and ease of use with wav files. I'm just a bit prejudiced towards FL Studio.
Good job with Cubase, it goes all the way and performs all the functions you need. IF your going to use it with software synths, get the latest up to date omputer with Cubase.
Thanks for the info.
jnfstnet565 wrote:Seriously, at least 3-4GB RAM and some Quad Core with 2-3 ghZ. It needs a lot in my opinion, but you should try it out for yourself. I actually haven't done this, but Steinberg might have one on their website.??
have you checked my signature hehehe I already got that kinda box :lol:
still, I think I'm gonna get a new, less noisy box this summer (hopefully). This one... will probably be a server for whatever. Maybe like those home servers so people in home can download junk from the server or somethin like that. anyway thanks again.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

The IV sedation was one of the options they gave me, I'm not sure what they will give me for pain though. I think I'll opt in for nitrous oxide and vicodin.
Sry, didn't read the signature. Got kinda distracted. Yeah, home servers are big. If you have that money to invest, you could get a liquid cooling system for your rig (IDK if it cuts the sound though).
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

a liquid cooling will definitely be an option I will opt. I hate to have an airplane near me all the time :x

on the dental side, I preferred simply local sedation cuz it really didn't hurt AT ALL, and it really helped me lose fear to those kinds of operations. I was nervous as if I was going to be executed until the Doc took the first tooth. after that, the three teeth left were almost enjoyable (yeh im kinda craze). The really uncomfortable and painful moments have been these days, actually. I recommend you to take your ipod with you, and create a playlist with music that rises your adrenaline (of course, only if you opt for local.) also, I must warn you my doc is a Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery Doctor and Dental Surgeon, so his experience enabled him to cause NO pain whatsoever. If you go with a general dentist... then I cannot guarantee painless surgery (which happened to many of my friends). anyway, thats what I suggest. the rest is your pick.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

I have here a batch of ideas, still in mp3: Ill get it to ogg ASAP. Which one would work in Vegastrike if any at all?
http://forum.image-line.com//files/fluid_trance_556.mp3
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

I personally liked the last 1/3 of the song, mostly the moment with the piano. Still, they are a little bit too fast paced. Fast paced songs are probably good for battle sequences, whilst slower paced songs are for peace sequences (y'know, when you are idly cruising through space.) Now for actual song, think more or less which situation will the song be in. However, this will prove otherwise if we implement galactic radionet, in which case you would ignore my last statement.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

The link doesn't seem to work for me.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Deus Siddis wrote:The link doesn't seem to work for me.
what, jnfstnet565's batch of ideas? Strange, it works fine for me.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Got it to work now, damn buggy quicktime.

To me these were the most interesting sections:

1:30-2:00 -- Interesting theme here with some hidden sadness it feels like, maybe could be the beginnings of a theme of one of the factions that doesn't have its own music yet, like the Klkk, Shmrn or Dgn as examples that come to mind do to their somber history. Using this pace might be the version for their battle theme.

3:00-End -- Good faster remix, good for either battle or would-be hyperspace travel.
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

Why don't I just make all the hyperspace tracks, or even better, just do an ambient track and a good battle track. These will hopefully come out soon.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

I have another track: dang it, I think I'm off. I need directions because I have no idea what you guys actually need, or what kind of stuff I should be writing. You could possibly tell me where this goes, or what we need for the future.

Here's another complete song: Figure it might be suited for some kind of victory scenario:
http://forum.image-line.com//files/trance_ditto_244.mp3
I'll get it to ogg as soon as I can.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Sounds nice, though I can only wonder what setting it could go... Maybe think out of the box and start planning on more 'generic' music that is not for a specific and special scenario and setting, but rather a general moment, like the Radionet we were talking about in CLone's thread :wink:
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

It might be interesting if you tried a battle theme, because alot of those are themselves faster (and more desperate/aggressive) mixes of the peace themes.