ISO ship-to-ship speech comms

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

ISO ship-to-ship speech comms

Post by MC707 »

Ok so I began planning on ISO speech comms acting. I have some little issues, though. First of all, in Turbo's voice acting tutorial I see the waveform is big, but in my Audacity the waveform appears very little. I would like to know if there is something wrong with my mic, my software, or if there's anything wrong at all :lol:.
Image Turbo's

Image Mine

Second, I do not know what quality I have to set for OGG files (0-10)

And third, I do not know how to output the name of this line:

Code: Select all

- <node text="Help! Help! I'm being oppressed." text1="How can you attack a member of the party?" relationship="-.0625">
I mean, there are two texts: text and text1. Would those be two files or something?

Oh also, how do I know how many words there be in the file name? ie. for the line "Cut me some slack, will you?" would it be: iso_cut-me.ogg or iso_cut-me-some.ogg or iso_cut-me-some-slack.ogg. I checked some xml files with audio implemented already, so based on that I assume it would be up to me, as long as the name makes sense and it doesn't have more than four words (without counting the faction name, iso). Thanks in advance.

PS. Once I am done with these issues, I will post some examples with my crappy desktop mic (unless the wave issue I mentioned is because of the mic) to receive some feedback. Then, if people like my voice for the faction, I will buy and finish the job with a slightly better headset mic (they're much easier to record with).
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: ISO ship-to-ship speech comms

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:Ok so I began planning on ISO speech comms acting. I have some little issues, though. First of all, in Turbo's voice acting tutorial I see the waveform is big, but in my Audacity the waveform appears very little. I would like to know if there is something wrong with my mic, my software, or if there's anything wrong at all :lol:.
I'd suggest you to check the extended settings in your mixer; for simplicity's sake, Ubuntu doesn't show all the available mixer settings by default; make sure you see an option named Mic Boost +20dB or something like that, and activate it; if you have such an option, max mic volume will probably be too high, a few test recordings will help you find the best level.
MC707 wrote:Second, I do not know what quality I have to set for OGG files (0-10)
Mine are sampled at 22KHz (after all they're radio messages) and mono, so I tried quality 10 and they're still fairly small.
MC707 wrote:And third, I do not know how to output the name of this line:

- <node text="Help! Help! I'm being oppressed." text1="How can you attack a member of the party?" relationship="-.0625">
I mean, there are two texts: text and text1. Would those be two files or something?
Yes, in our previous cases we recorded both texts and added both file references in the xml; tho I seem to remember that when a ship answered me with text1, I heard no audio.
MC707 wrote:Oh also, how do I know how many words there be in the file name? ie. for the line "Cut me some slack, will you?" would it be: iso_cut-me.ogg or iso_cut-me-some.ogg or iso_cut-me-some-slack.ogg. I checked some xml files with audio implemented already, so based on that I assume it would be up to me, as long as the name makes sense and it doesn't have more than four words (without counting the faction name, iso). Thanks in advance.
Yes, be as short as you can, as long as there's no ambiguity; you might just want to conform to the filenames for the standard comms like contraband and docking, but you're basically free on that issue.
MC707 wrote:PS. Once I am done with these issues, I will post some examples with my crappy desktop mic (unless the wave issue I mentioned is because of the mic) to receive some feedback. Then, if people like my voice for the faction, I will buy and finish the job with a slightly better headset mic (they're much easier to record with).
Good plan! :)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanks for the help CLone! BTW im doing these recordings in my Vista machine, since my Ubuntu's network is still f#%&$d up.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Don't worry about text1--the code only listens to text, relationship and file. I think the "text1" some backup (the corresponding conversion point of a neutral or terran player?) that they kept around while writing the communication nodes.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

ace123 wrote:Don't worry about text1--the code only listens to text, relationship and file. I think the "text1" some backup (the corresponding conversion point of a neutral or terran player?) that they kept around while writing the communication nodes.
I see, but since variety is good and we already recorded all the text1 lines for previous voices, and those text1 actually appear in the game, could we turn em into separate nodes? As long as the edge elements map is fixed accordingly, it should work, right? Or maybe not, as I see always a maximum of 4 edges...
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:I see, but since variety is good and we already recorded all the text1 lines for previous voices, and those text1 actually appear in the game, could we turn em into separate nodes? As long as the edge elements map is fixed accordingly, it should work, right? Or maybe not, as I see always a maximum of 4 edges...
That sounds reasonable. I am going to record my text1 lines, too, just in case.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

MC707 wrote:And third, I do not know how to output the name of this line:

Oh also, how do I know how many words there be in the file name? ie. for the line "Cut me some slack, will you?" would it be: iso_cut-me.ogg or iso_cut-me-some.ogg or iso_cut-me-some-slack.ogg. I checked some xml files with audio implemented already, so based on that I assume it would be up to me, as long as the name makes sense and it doesn't have more than four words (without counting the faction name, iso). Thanks in advance.
The answer to both questions is "yes." The two lines for your third question would be (for example) iso_help-help.ogg and iso_how-can-you.ogg. The exact file name is yours to determine, just include enough words from the line so that it is unique and can be recognized. Of course, if you are also updating the XML, you will be able to input the sound file= tag with the file name yourself. Details of the sound file tag are in the wiki
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... Voice_List

Thanks for lending your voice!
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanks for the response! I am done with some draft audio files, but I am having problems making my website (that's where I will upload my audio files for you to hear) :lol:
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Any luck/progress? I have web space if that's the delay, PM me and we'll work something out.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

sorry for the absence! at the beginning of the semester everything was cool, but it turned out everything became gradually difficult. I've been extremely busy these last months, so I hadn't had time to even visit the VS forums. hopefully I will take my exams successfully and be done in a week or so. though I might get my wisdom tooth taken out, thus more absence... :x not to mention I am working too :roll: nevertheless, when I finish all this college stuff I will post my recordings. sorry again! :oops:
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

No problem, we all have real life from time to time. I'm moving to a new job soon. I pack up my computer tomorrow and my car on Friday, and both are going by cargo ship so it will be a while before I'm able to do much.
Turbo

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

thanks for understanding. hopefully my cheeks will shrink soon from my wisdom teeth operation :roll:
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:thanks for understanding. hopefully my cheeks will shrink soon from my wisdom teeth operation :roll:
Before they shrink, you might sound appropriate for Klk'k ;)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:Before they shrink, you might sound appropriate for Klk'k ;)
ROFL I might do the klk'k if you want, my cheeks haven't shrunk quite yet xD
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:ROFL I might do the klk'k if you want, my cheeks haven't shrunk quite yet xD
Feel free to give it a try :) After all, unlike other alien races, they like to speak human directly, only using sound devices to compensate for some single human sounds they can't reproduce; so we really need a voice actor for them, unlike the translated alien speech.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

hmmm do you know where I could get an image or any reference of the klk'k? I need to know more or less how they are physically so I can more or less emulate them. cuz the name "klk'k" really doesn't give me an idea... the first time I saw that name I thought it was a human faction :roll:
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:hmmm do you know where I could get an image or any reference of the klk'k? I need to know more or less how they are physically so I can more or less emulate them. cuz the name "klk'k" really doesn't give me an idea... the first time I saw that name I thought it was a human faction :roll:
You can find a proposed sketch here
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &start=135
which, later on in the thread, got some correction proposals, so check the rest of the thread too.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

thanks for the info
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Rather than creating another thread about the same subject, I figured adding to this one would be more efficient. I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, please let me know, I'm new.

Like MC707, I'm also doing ISO comm recordings, but I just started. Tonight I managed only a few recordings, and I'd like someone to take a look and give me a little feedback. I lack a unique website for uploads, so I just made a gmail where I'll be depositing my work for now.

Website, user name, and password:

www.gmail.com
VS.SO.UD@gmail.com
shadow343
The signal is calling! Our planet is falling!
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

You would be better off uploading them to Imageshack or something like that... its not the best idea to create an account and give password and stuff. I bet someone will go and change the password sooner or later :lol:
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Hmm, I'll look into that then! Anyway.. I guess I'll lock it up and look into this some other day... On second thought, I'll do that in the morning.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

OK team...I did not realize web space could be an issue for some. I will set up an FTP site for voice actors to post content for peer review, and you can PM me to get the ID and password. Since the voice work I did is already in SVN, I can free up space on my site by taking the old stuff down.
Turbo

ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Alright, VS.SO.UD@gmail.com is no longer accessible. I'll get on that, thanks Turbo.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You may also PM me if there is a need for the ID and password if Turbo is unavailable for what ever reason.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

The site is ready. For uploads, PM me for the password. For downloads, the URL for uploaded files is http://www.willadsenfamily.org/VSvoice
Turbo