Merchant Guild ship-to-ship speech comms

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Merchant Guild ship-to-ship speech comms

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:Since you have this figured out, would you be so kind as to add these to the list of factions that need to be voiced, here?
Unable to comply, privateer.
Just kidding, I'll do that asap, I'll double check the comm files (and shed some light on an andolian file that might not be used at all) and then update the wiki page accordingly.

Edit: done :)
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Hey team! I found that the merchant_guild_citizen voices are not working in the SVN version. To fix the XML file, I had to change all instances of [sex="1"] to [sex="0"]. In other words, use the XML I submitted. While it made sense to change the gender tag because the voice is female, it caused the voices not to play in-game. I don't know why. :?

By the way, after I made the changes, I spent 2 hours trying to find someone of that faction to test it, with no success. :x Finally, I dug into the game files (under the SECTORS folder) and changed the faction on one of the existing bases, so I could talk to it. If we are going to test our work in-game, which is a good idea, that trick will speed up the testing. 8)
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Turbo wrote:Hey team! I found that the merchant_guild_citizen voices are not working in the SVN version. To fix the XML file, I had to change all instances of [sex="1"] to [sex="0"]. In other words, use the XML I submitted. While it made sense to change the gender tag because the voice is female, it caused the voices not to play in-game. I don't know why. :?

By the way, after I made the changes, I spent 2 hours trying to find someone of that faction to test it, with no success. :x Finally, I dug into the game files (under the SECTORS folder) and changed the faction on one of the existing bases, so I could talk to it. If we are going to test our work in-game, which is a good idea, that trick will speed up the testing. 8)
If the female marked voices weren't playing, it probably means that the ships weren't marked as having female pilots.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Oops. I was not aware of that the sex=1 is not working (and didn't test that particular file :oops: ).
The corrections, also for other factions posted until today (andolian_citizen, forsaken_citizen, mechanist + citizen), are all committed.

For testing I usually did the following:
* search for the faction in milky_way.xml
* put the sector/system in expore_universe.mission
* started vegastrike explore_universe.mission

It is a bit faster that loading a savegame, but your method is just as good.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

jackS wrote:If the female marked voices weren't playing, it probably means that the ships weren't marked as having female pilots.
Presumably, but I don't know how the game implements that. Perhaps someday we can find enough actors to have both genders for all the human factions, but for now we're still trying to get one voice per faction.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.