Aera ship-to-ship speech comms

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Aera ship-to-ship speech comms

Post by pyramid »

I couldn't hear anything wrong with your English accent, just the low encoding quality made it hard to hear clearly. More variety in speech is certainly welcome.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

pyramid wrote:I couldn't hear anything wrong with your English accent, just the low encoding quality made it hard to hear clearly. More variety in speech is certainly welcome.
Not being sure how much of the quality loss is due to my microphone and how much to the vocoder plugin (the impact of which can be trimmed with its settings), here's another sample, both vocoded mono and clean stereo; if even the clean one is not too clear and intelligible, i'll need a better mic. Let me know!
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/weareglad.zip

Btw the ogg exports were done both at max quality this time; recording settings were 16 bit as suggested in the tutorial, but despite setting 22050Hz in the preferences, it came out at 44.1KHz.

Btw 2: i can do such recordings for the translator part, but designing and creating original alien voices like Turbo did for Aera is beyond my reach O:) In that case, i can provide non-compressed vocoded recordings for anyone else to mix 'em on alien voices.
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The vocoded voice is just a bit over-vocoded. It could a little less, but maybe it's best to align with Turbo on the preferred settings. The clean recording is just fine and understandable. If you're willing, you might pick one of the human factions from data/communications to record the lines.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

pyramid wrote:The vocoded voice is just a bit over-vocoded. It could a little less, but maybe it's best to align with Turbo on the preferred settings. The clean recording is just fine and understandable. If you're willing, you might pick one of the human factions from data/communications to record the lines.
Actually I used exactly Turbo's settings for the vocoder plugin (the 2 he mentioned, I left the others on their defaults).
I'll experiment more with the values to find a better compromise and post the results asap; about the faction, I can go for the Andolians.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

To be honest, I'm not happy with the vocoder settings I suggested before. Once I put the alien sounds behind it, it was too hard to understand. At the moment I am working with a new sequence of transforms and should have something new to share in about 24 hours.

CloneWolf, I like your voice and appreciate your help with voice acting. I have a couple of suggestions.
* You have a decent microphone, by which I mean there is not a lot of noise. You have some "puff" sound on the hard consonants, so please consider moving the mike off to one side.
* Your voice is coming through too soft. If you have a microphone boost feature, I recommend you try it. That may create new problems because noise, clicks and pops may become evident, but you can edit those out. The amplifier can make up for a low volume, but may amplify unwanted noises too.
* The beta version of Audacity has a leveller under the Effect..Dynamics Processor..Compressor menu. It does wonders for making everything closer to the same volume which maked the words easier to understand. Besides, I figure a mechanical voice like the translator would not not vary its dynamics much. Once I levelled your voice and amplified it, I could understand the clean version very well.
* You should get in the habit of deleting the extra bits at the front and back, just to keep file sizes down and help the programmers with timing. If you need silence, such as delaying the translator voices, you can add it later. For the pauses between words and syllables -- once all the noise and clicks are edited out, if there is any wave form left when there is no talking, highlight and CTRL-L to make it silent. It gives a nice clean result.

Thanks to decades of TV and radio, people expect something pre-recorded to be perfect, and will notice any lip smacking, breathing, and other things that they would not notice in a face to face conversation.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:To be honest, I'm not happy with the vocoder settings I suggested before. Once I put the alien sounds behind it, it was too hard to understand. At the moment I am working with a new sequence of transforms and should have something new to share in about 24 hours.
Good, if i don't find a satisfying setting myself by then, I'll gladly use yours ;)
Turbo wrote:CloneWolf, I like your voice and appreciate your help with voice acting. I have a couple of suggestions.
* You have a decent microphone, by which I mean there is not a lot of noise. You have some "puff" sound on the hard consonants, so please consider moving the mike off to one side.
OK, I already kept it kinda on the side, I'll move it to the cheek; as for the quality, credits go to the click and noise removal of Audacity, my headset is the cheapest one you could find, I think I spent 2 euro, go figure :)
Turbo wrote:* Your voice is coming through too soft. If you have a microphone boost feature, I recommend you try it.
Yes my mic boost option is already on, but...
Turbo wrote:That may create new problems because noise, clicks and pops may become evident, but you can edit those out. The amplifier can make up for a low volume, but may amplify unwanted noises too.
Exactly; I had to lower my capture level on the mixer, because the noise removal wasn't too effective anymore; but since I noticed the vocoder plugins has a sort of noise removal as a side effect, I might leave some on the clean recording and let the plugin do the rest
Turbo wrote:* The beta version of Audacity has a leveller under the Effect..Dynamics Processor..Compressor menu. It does wonders for making everything closer to the same volume which maked the words easier to understand. Besides, I figure a mechanical voice like the translator would not not vary its dynamics much. Once I levelled your voice and amplified it, I could understand the clean version very well.
Great tip, thanks! I'll surely use it!
Turbo wrote:* You should get in the habit of deleting the extra bits at the front and back, just to keep file sizes down and help the programmers with timing.
I know, I know, I left it in to let you judge the microphone quality; now that you and pyramid told me I can work with what I have, I'll apply all the tips...
Turbo wrote:If you need silence, such as delaying the translator voices, you can add it later. For the pauses between words and syllables -- once all the noise and clicks are edited out, if there is any wave form left when there is no talking, highlight and CTRL-L to make it silent. It gives a nice clean result.
...this one included :) Thanks for them all!
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

OK folks, here is Aera speech version 2: http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... rsion2.zip

While that downloads, here is what I did to create a new translator voice. I never did find a good vocoder setting, so I recorded it in a flat even voice, then made the following changes:
- noise removal and click removal
- low pass filter for 15K Hz, other values default
- high pass filter for 1000 Hz, others default
- leveller (heaviest setting)
- pitch down 10% (only to make it sound significantly different from Oswald)
- repeat the click removal, filters, and leveller again
- amplify
- one last click removal

The filters and leveling make it flat both in tone and dynamics, without the vocoder's "mechanical-ness" so the result is easy to understand (if you speak English; voice acting in other languages is a future goal). If you like it, I can finish the remaining lines of the Aera and move on to other aliens.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Ok here's another vocoder attempt; this time I mixed the vocoded track with a softened version of the clean one, to improve understanding and maintain the synth effect. Of course, the balance of the 2 tracks can be set any way we like.
In addition, another robot-like effect, the phaser, that is imho a little more understandable by itself.
If the vocoder is fine for Andolians, the phaser could be assigned to Mechanists (and in that case I'd also apply a pitch shift to make it different). Both recordings were treated with the latest series of filters as Turbo suggested before vocoding and phasing.
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/VocoderPhaser.zip
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

That Aeran voice sounds kind of...Dutch? Is it the vocoding doing that?
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

My only trip to Holland was in 1993, so I don't particularly remember what Dutch sounds like. The Aera speech is whale song, altered in tempo and pitch, because I am going for something alien. If it sounds like Dutch to you, I'm not sure if that means success or failure on my part. :? The only application of vocoder was to the translator not to the aliens, in the first version that you can download now from SVN.

For version 2 of the Aera voice (linked above), I abandoned the vocoder as it makes the translator voice too difficult to understand, and made the Aera speech louder when the translator is not talking.

Here is the "bounty-target-to-privateer" speech for the Aera:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... e-have.ogg
Given that this text appears in the bounty mission code (thanks CloneWolf), I'm not sure if this broadcast can be made faction-specific.

If other artists want to make their translator sound similar to mine, here he is doing all the non-faction-specific lines:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... eneric.ogg

Pending feedback on the Aera, I will start working on some other race. Each one gets its own thread, of course.

Edit: there was some mention of the Aera speech in the Artwork Vetting, and the suggestion to provide fixer audio. So I made a suggestion and provided the sound file to go with it, here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 10#p107110
Turbo

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

CLoneWolf wrote:vocoding and phasing. http://olografix.org/groucho/VocoderPhaser.zip
The phasing sounds very good for a translator voice. The phasing seems more radio-distortion like. I'd suggest you pick the phaser and one of the human texts from /communications.

@Turbo,
The aera version 2 recordings are very good. I'll put them to svn today. Looks like you've forgot to record "aera_dock-this-time.ogg" v2.
Turbo wrote:Here is the "bounty-target-to-privateer" speech for the Aera:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... e-have.ogg
Given that this text appears in the bounty mission code (thanks CloneWolf), I'm not sure if this broadcast can be made faction-specific.
Since missions are python coded, it should be possible to get the faction abd play this voice only if aera is involved. I'll try to get this working.

The generic recordings could even be used as automated docking/undocking audio messages e.g. for confed.

We also don't yet have the aera fixer ready and currently there is none ingame. Once the graphical part is done, we can try adding the speech.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

@CLoneWolf
Sorry, I meant the vocoded voice sounds more radio like. I think if you with that for LIHW, it should be fine. I am not sure however what language do Andolians speak and if it requires translation. My idea was always that they speak some human language even if it might not be English. To be on the safe side, I would suggest to go with phased voice for example for the Klk'k though we don't know what they underlying language might sound like. For the Andolians, I'd go for a more natural sounding language maybe with a different vocoder settings.

@Turbo,
I've found the "missing" track. It had "area" instead of "aera" as a prefix and that got me mixed up.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

pyramid wrote:@CLoneWolf
Sorry, I meant the vocoded voice sounds more radio like. I think if you with that for LIHW, it should be fine. I am not sure however what language do Andolians speak and if it requires translation. My idea was always that they speak some human language even if it might not be English.
I admit I haven't checked at all the knowledge base about the various factions so far :mrgreen: I saw sketches in some art contribution post, where they looked surely more human than Klk'k, but a bit different from our Sol cousins, so I assumed they'd need a translation anyway :mrgreen:

On that note, what are the other human factions other than LIHW? The work for them would be shorter and some other contributors could lend their voices to add variety besides what we can do with natural voice mimicking and pitch shifting.
Anyway, here's the full set of sentences in andoliantoprivateer.xml

http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/a2pfullrec1pass.ogg

I did only 1 pass of Turbo's filters, since the translator device is in the receiving ship, so it can have better quality than the true voice coming via radio. Of course, I locally keep the uncompressed file in WAV form to maintain full quality and do more processing as needed before exporting to OGG, be it a translator effect like the phaser, or more radio effect for untranslated voices.
Besides, leaving it so close to the original recording, it's easier for you all to spot any eventual mistake in pronouncing or intonation, please give me feedback about it so I can remake what's needed and have full clean recordings before further processing.
pyramid wrote:To be on the safe side, I would suggest to go with phased voice for example for the Klk'k though we don't know what they underlying language might sound like. For the Andolians, I'd go for a more natural sounding language maybe with a different vocoder settings.
Well, before reading your post, I had already done a phased version of the above file; it's mono to shorten your download, but I can do it in stereo if needed; this is an average impact; it can be lighter than this, or heavier, and go figure, the slider goes from DRY to WET, so I guess a mid-heavy setting would be very appropriate for the cute frogs... erm... the Klk'k :) It really sounds like underwater talking!

http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/a2pfull ... 40mono.ogg

I'll also experiment with more vocoding and plain radio-like pass filters when I can
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I must say that I like a lot the sound of the phased Andolian voices. If we imagine that Andolians, having implants that allow them to cummunicate via thought, think the communication that is then transmitted as voice from their ship, it becomes feasible to use this distorted sound. I wouldn't even make it neither heavier nor lighter. It's just at the point.
According to the sound requirements mono is just fine.
Unless there are other thoughts or comments, I'd go for integration of the second file.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Thanks for your appreciation. Thought communication will also mean no need for an alien voice; so, if that's accepted, I'll also record the other lines from andolian.xml (identical to andolian_citizen.xml on my 0.5.0 stable - not svn), and split all the messages into single files, with no leading or trailing silence, as the final candidate product.

What's the preferable form or packaging? A single zip with all the Andolian voices, or 2, 1 for citizen, 1 for military? In the latter case, should I provide the common files in both packages or just in one of them?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Great. 1 package is preferrable as it will go into one subdirectory anyway. I'll fiddle them out for the different xmls.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

It looks like the Aera version 2 is in SVN now, thanks! I will consider the Aera done unless asked to make changes.
Turbo

Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I forgot one important package. That is a version of all the voices with no translator. We need to produce this for alien voices because of the versions of the game that will be made in other languages. This allows the voice actors in those languages to voice the translator in the target language. Here it is for the Aera:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... slator.zip

In summary, here is what we learned with our first alien speech project. I updated the wiki with the same info: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... ice_Acting

A ship-to-ship factional communcication voice acting package should include the following:
  • * all the text lines from VS/data/communications/<FACTION>.xml
    * the "greeting text" line from VS/data/modules/missions/bounty_leader.py
    * if the faction is an alien language, the following additional guidelines apply:
    • - the translator should sound flat in dynamics and pitch, while remaining clear and understandable
      - the alien voice should speak for 1 second before the translator starts
      - when the translator is speaking, the alien voice should be muted by -3 Db to make the translator easier to understand
      - there needs to be 2 versions of the package, one with the translator for the English version of the game, and one without the translator so that we can eventually create versions of the game in other languages
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

pyramid wrote:Great. 1 package is preferrable as it will go into one subdirectory anyway. I'll fiddle them out for the different xmls.
Here it is!
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/andolian.zip
It contains all the lines from the 2 Andolian xml files, plus the bounty one.

Before reading Turbo's latest guidelines, I had already adopted his same naming convention scheme; the andolian-only files have the start of the sentence in their names, while the common ones have the same names as Turbo's, let alone the faction part (aera_dock-complete -> andolian_dock-complete)

Any single bit of this can be redone, just tell me what and how; otherwise I'll move to some human faction, any preference on which to get done first?
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Clonewolf,

You have a good voice. But I am hearing a strange noise-like echo in the background, which was not present in your "we are glad - clean" sample. I do not know what might be causing it, because I have not heard such a thing in my short 3 years of voice acting.

I recommed that you re-record andolian_your-uniserve.ogg, because the line "let the ones with the hardware do the hard work" does not come through clearly. That is, the words "hardware" and "hard work" sound too similar. The phrase is a joke, playing with words, and those words should come through clearly, like "let the ones with the hardWARE do the hard WORK."

Thanks again for helping. While we wait for more feedback on the Rlaan voice concept I proposed, I will record the Highborn next.
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:I recommed that you re-record andolian_your-uniserve.ogg, because the line "let the ones with the hardware do the hard work" does not come through clearly. That is, the words "hardware" and "hard work" sound too similar. The phrase is a joke, playing with words, and those words should come through clearly, like "let the ones with the hardWARE do the hard WORK."
This alone wouldn't be a problem but...
Turbo wrote:You have a good voice. But I am hearing a strange noise-like echo in the background, which was not present in your "we are glad - clean" sample. I do not know what might be causing it, because I have not heard such a thing in my short 3 years of voice acting.
...but this means I have to redo everything :/ The only thing I changed is the position of the mic, it's at the center of my cheek now, to avoid blowing in it; home was quiet. If there's no noise in the clean, maybe it's a side effect of the phaser; please indicate me one of the phrases where you hear it and i'll give you the clean version of it so you can see if you hear the noise in the clean version too.
Turbo wrote:Thanks again for helping. While we wait for more feedback on the Rlaan voice concept I proposed, I will record the Highborn next.
Well, looks like I haven't helped at all yet :/
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

The andolians wear sealed environmental suits so they should have some kind of system to transmit their voice outside the suit, so a vocoder or phaser effect is appropriate. But such a system should also send their voice straight to the inter-ship radio. So I am not sure, what is the right amount of phaser or vocoder from a clean human voice to create an andolian voice?

My first attempt at the Aera voice was a failure, when played in the game, because the Aera's alien sounds were too muted to be noticeable with the translator overlay. So I suggest we listen to your andolian voices in the game before deciding. Maybe the echo that I hear will not be noticeable while playing.
Turbo

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The andolian voices are very good indeed and I couldn't detect any fault with them. Checked-in (svn). :mrgreen:
You have well earned your place in the credits list, CLoneWolf.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

pyramid wrote:The andolian voices are very good indeed and I couldn't detect any fault with them. Checked-in (svn). :mrgreen:
You have well earned your place in the credits list, CLoneWolf.
Yay, thanks! :mrgreen:
Anyway I don't want to underestimate Turbo's warning; please double-check my clean recording of the andolian military faction located here
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/a2pfullrec1pass.ogg
as previously mentioned; if it's flawed, I'll have to get a decent microphone; if it's ok, it's just a matter of filtering choices that I can redo if needed, and the most important thing is that I could also do more recordings with what I already have.

Of course I'll totally redo the line mentioned by Turbo to make the joke clearer, and link it here separately, besides updating the whole zip at the previous address as well for good measure.

Being curious, I've taken a look at some of the human factions; if I were to voice act for LIHW, there are two little problems:
1. "What, you think I'm some monkey-loving Dgn or something?" Erm... guys, I've never thought of this before, but how do you pronounce Dgn?
2. "[plays 'Dueling Banjos']" What's the player supposed to hear here?
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

CLoneWolf wrote:Being curious, I've taken a look at some of the human factions; if I were to voice act for LIHW, there are two little problems:
1. "What, you think I'm some monkey-loving Dgn or something?" Erm... guys, I've never thought of this before, but how do you pronounce Dgn?
2. "[plays 'Dueling Banjos']" What's the player supposed to hear here?
I have no idea how to pronounce "Dgn" but I can answer the second one: "dueling banjos" is a traditional song in the countryside of the USA, far away from the cities. You can listen to it for free at http://www.mp3-center.org/download_mp3/ ... os/9795400 but we probably need to get permission before including any particular copy of the song in the game. The most famous and recognizable part of the song, to stay within the time limits of VegaStrike ship-to-ship communications, is from 0:48 to 0:58 on the song's timeline.

I recorded the highborn speech 2 days ago and have been editing ever since, I should be done some time in the next 48 hours. However, I am running SVN update right now and notice that Pyramid implemented subfolders for each faction's voices. So tonight I am just going to play and seek out the Andolians and Aera so I can hear them talk. 8) I learned of another voice actor, callsign "bengreenwood," who offered to help with voice acting in the Feature Request forum. So I sent him a PM and announced in that thread in Feature Requests that we had started. I haven't heard from him yet but hopefully he will find us and will be able to lend his voice also.
Turbo