Pre-flight check and other sounds; needs c++?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Pre-flight check and other sounds; needs c++?

Post by chuck_starchaser »

We've been thinking for a while to come up with synthetic speech sound for pre-flight checks, in-flight system feedback, in-flight warnings such as "missile lock!" or "hull breached; eject!", as well as possibly landing and docking directions. Do we need c++ coding to do it?
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 3676#13676
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Pre-flight check and other sounds; needs c++?

Post by kensuguro »

all the responses seem finite... isn't it easier to pre-render all the stuff? Or will they be dynamic? Which also sounds cool... just that there really aren't any free tts libraries out there that does a good job. Nuance has an awesome one, but it's not free. So to me, it seems easier to just pre-record all of it. Besides, it'll be very tough to add all effects in real time if you do realtime tts. Realtime audio dsp stuff will eat cpu resources inefficiently I think, or does that not matter quite as much with todays octo core gasoline eating crazy cpus.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hi, Kensuguro; long time!

I really messed up the phrasing of my post. The question was not about speech synthesis; we'd use some kind of synthesizer off-line and pre-record. The question about C++ was in regards to having callbacks or some mechanism for triggering the speech files. But I've asked the same question more recently in a different context and I got a reply that it would be difficult to implement, or at least that there's currently no provision of callbacks. IOW, there's no easy way that I can connect the event of shields going to zero to trigger a "shields down" ogg file, for instance.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

That is unfortunate. It would be cool to have your ship talk to you, with different voice sets to choose from the setup program:

* sultry female ("You're soooo hot...your engine is on fire")
* smooth male ("I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that")
* soulless robot (MS Narrator)
* alien ("Mia wanna wonga, ho ho ho ho")

OK, maybe not the last one.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.