Star limousine :H496

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Star limousine :H496

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Bumpmaps are for the birds; they don't mip-map, for one thing; they take a lot of additional texture fetches and instructions in the shader.
Just because other engines use bumpmaps it doesn't mean they are better, or look better, or that their choice is wise.
Normalmaps don't have such problems, --they look better, mipmap well, and take less shader instructions--; and it only takes two seconds
to generate a normalmap from a bumpmap in GIMP.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Chuck wrote:

Normalmaps don't have such problems, --they look better, mipmap well, and take less shader instructions--; and it only takes two seconds
to generate a normalmap from a bumpmap in GIMP.

it's clear now!(kui-kui) but you wrote me: with normal you can't apply on a multi uv mesh like the last station or symetrical ship, it's means for a huge ship we need to produce 6 or 8 maps!(or produce a repetitive object in black?) is it better than just use 1 bump map?(for the processor)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The issue with normalmaps and mirroring ***I believe*** should be solved now that we have tangents in the engine. The problem "was" that the engine made certain assumptions about the orientation of the islands in the UV map. The issue remains, however, when it comes to PRT's for CineMut, but come to think of it, I just got what I think is a brilliant idea. We could use the W term from the computed tangent to exchange the PRT's red channels (X axis) data in the shader, and this might make PRT's work across mirrorings. Don't quote me on it yet; I have to run this idea through klauss. And if true, this would only work for mirrorings in the X direction; not Y or Z mirrorings.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Those new textures look just great in-game. The silver one reminds me of Amidala's Nubian royal starship.
Now available in-game (svn) for privateers and aspiring star pilots :lol:
I made it roughly 70m long.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

screen shot of ingame ship are wanted ( i can't see my work my computer won't show me)...