Seaxbane (was Daphne) (Finished)

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Seaxbane (was Daphne) (Finished)

Post by Oblivion »

Introducing a new ship. :P two days worth of work.

includes two types of turret meshes and textures.

And two LODs

The full model has ~1500 faces, the first LOD ~1000, and the third ~500 faces.

I'll leave the assignment up to you folks. I'll post the files here later after i finish uplaoding them.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dawe »

sweet!!!
8)
Nice to see oblivion models again, keep up the work!
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Thanks

3ds:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0yzlm2ijt0n

Max:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cbzytt0nz5m

OBJ
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jeknndnmku

bump
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddnjuzm4mow

color
http://www.mediafire.com/?9dbgmyajljz

luma
http://www.mediafire.com/?2zct33jw3ky

spec
http://www.mediafire.com/?7tiiznzwxcw

the files.

okay here's the deal.

Please take the time to insert this ingame. I am currently busy with a lot of other things and cannot do it myself.

This model is open for use by Vega STrike and all related projects (if they want it, :P ) PR, WC, ST, etc.

However, i'll also be submitting this model to AFF, prolly as a civilian ship, if they want it. If you'd like to use this model for any other game, other than VS and sister projects, please ask permission first. :wink:

astepintooblivion
at
yahoo.com
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Absolutely stunning.

Please make sure this is in the next release.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Absolutely stunning indeed. I'm not sure the style is too vegastrikish, though that'll be for the ministry of information to decide; but it does look rather startrekkish to me. I don't know where the vegatrek guys are these days; there was a flurry of activity in that forum 6 months or so ago and now seems dead again...
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Lovely model!

Does not look like "Privateer" or "VegaStrike" to me though -- no missiles & no forward only fixed mounts. And, while I think that any *real* ship would mount any and all guns with maximum freedom of motion, that is not the standard.

On the other hand, if those side guns were just not permitted to move, it would make a very nice light fighter in both -- 4 light guns (forward only). 1 heavy turret [180, 360] (top only).
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Beautiful work, Oblivion! It looks like AFF style has got very close to your heart.

One thing that makes it feel weird, though, is that one can't tell it's size. Maybe a window here or there could do?
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Beautiful! :-D
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Carsten
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Carsten »

Wow! Extremely nice, love the style. I hope that my work will turn out to be as good as this some day.
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

giggity giggity giggity :shock: :D
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

whow

Post by Fendorin »

wundebar

is very cool ship mr oblivion (very kawai)
for drone? i llove this style for andolian drone no? is just my opinion

i hope seen the ship in multi-combat-scene
with light carrier like EDISON ship, no?
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

woah... dude... you've come a long way.... :shock:

totally rad.

seems to have a homeworld-esqe feel to it (the lost clan in the nebula)

nice to see your artistic talents are not going to waste :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I keep coming back again and again to this thread, trying to figure out what exactly makes these models look so good. I've got some conclusions:
I think where most models fail at convincing is that, however pretty the shape of their hulls may be, they looks like cast or molded in one piece. With this model it is plain and clear that the outer shape is made of separate pieces, of like molded plastic, or white painted metal. The recesses look like they continue under those cover pieces. Which gives two beneficial impressions:
a) That the complexity shown in the few openings is representative of what goes on under the covers.
b) That the covers are there precisely to cover; --i.e.: gives the hull segments a clear justification.

There's also a stark stylistic contrast between the "inner" (recessed) areas and the covers. The inner areas are cubistic and utilitarian, while the covers try to look stylish; --almost "commercial". The style of this "packaging" skin is fairly self-consistent: Same "wine-bottle" profile of the view of the hull from above is reflected in the turrets, at a lower scaling.
The only inconsistency would be the squarish bumpmapped grooves on the outer skin; I think I'd put fewer of them, and more stylish grooves, like a scaling up of the grooves that show on the top turret, perhaps.

This is, artistically speaking, probably the best ship model that's ever been posted in this forum. There's nothing I ever found nearly as convincing as to its being "something" at all --never mind convincing in the sense of being a space ship. In fact, this model wouldn't even strike me as being any kind of space ship unless I'm told so; but it's just so convincing about being "something" that what that something is doesn't even matter anymore...
Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dawe »

I was thinking this could be some mechanist ship, just because of the lack of an obvious cockpit... to me it sure looks like a mechanist, maybe a different colour scheme would be needed for that though. But lets see what the minister of info says, its his decision!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

This is indeed one awesome design - plus considering it was made from scratch, it is a design I could well imagine in a completely new game.

I agree with the Trek relations, if you interpret those long engine sections as warp nancelles. But also, it reminds me somehow of the Star Wars Episode I racers on Tatooine. The ship looks very agile, but also fragile. So I could think of it as a nasty drone with jump capacity. Lightly armored, but fast pulse phasor or turbo laser turrets.

I say, definetively a ship for merc issues!
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

looks like a speedy little scout/messenger ship to me.. kinda like a crotch-rocket (small sport-bike motorcycle) for outer space.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Thanks everybody. :wink:

@kanga :oops: heh. it's a bit too AFF, I agree, but not AFF enough. The shape of the ship itself would make it unsuitable for use in any of the major AFF factions. As for size, it's small. An interceptor. The cockpit, is the gray armored front with the horizontal slits. It's height (bottom-top) would be something like 20 to 25 meters.

@chuck
yep. it's all in texturing. :wink: I don't like my bump map on the white hull too, heh. but i was in hurry to finish it. I planned to make the grooves follow the hull curvatures, but that would take me at least another day. :wink:

@shissui
you can make the turrets immovable if you want. The lower front projection is actually a missile launche, albeit micromissiles.

@sunfire
yep, a long way indeed. lol. been learning whatever I can these past 10 months or so. still have a long way to go tho, but i'm getting there. :D

to everybody else, seems like all of you agree it's not too vegastrikeish. So use it wherever it fits. :? I'll try to make more ships in the same style as these, so it won't look out of place in VS, if it ever gets used there. Anyway. glad you all liked it. still have a lot of modeling assignments for AFF.. hehe :D i'll post more ships when i finish them.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

This might be a dumb question, but how can I export one of your formats into a bfxm and a texture? :oops: Feel free to laugh at me, but I have no experience with that
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You have to use mesher.exe, which works from .obj format. It's in the how-to's wiki; I think it's the first howto there...
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTos
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

chuck_starchaser wrote:You have to use mesher.exe, which works from .obj format.
The "exe" tells me that it is pointless to try to run that on a Mac -- what program would *I* need to use.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Shissui wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:You have to use mesher.exe, which works from .obj format.
The "exe" tells me that it is pointless to try to run that on a Mac -- what program would *I* need to use.
mac mesher :-)

http://thewillofomega.googlepages.com/vegastrikedev

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

You have to use mesher.exe, which works from .obj format. It's in the how-to's wiki; I think it's the first howto there...
:oops: Okay, thanks, gonna search the wiki in advance next time :oops:
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

Niiiiiiice!!!!!

Kinda reminds me of EVE Online

>_>
<_<

=O
BE GOOD.
Synchrone
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Synchrone »

That's one great looking piece of metal you got there! :wink:
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

May he rest in peace
triato
Merchant
Merchant

Post by triato »

To me it looks like a ship specialized in fighting fighters. The turrets apear not to be able to turn more than 45 degrees perpendicular to the ship, so i imagine it can´t sit and let them do the job, if it were to fight big ships, fixed guns could mean more power using less space. It has small front missiles, that too tells me it is specialized in fighter hunting.

At least that is the impresion it gives me, offcourse there could be other reasons for the characteristics I mentioned. Whatever it is, it looks great! congratulations!