Vigilance (Purist Corvette)

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Vigilance (Purist Corvette)

Post by Phlogios »

Oi mates.
I don't read the forums regularly anymore, since I have been very busy with school-related stuff, but I read it yesterday, and I made this ship today.

THANKS FENDORIN FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH! :D :D <3
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

If you REALLY want something to play with, check out my Spanish Class notes. I draw ships in the margins O_O

I drew the concepts for my Titan and Toro ships in there.....
BE GOOD.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

@Nano_lite: Give me! :D
(Edit: forgotten word) EVEN if your ships don't fit in this game, I want to see them! :D

@Mostly myself I guess:P : I hope jackS reads this thread some time. He said he needed to talk to Fendorin about this ship, and I would like to know what's going on, since I made the model. This ship is still not exactly what Fendorin wanted (according to mails sent by him) but I'm waiting for him to send me more instructions. And if jackS has opinions, I want to hear them :D
Last edited by Phlogios on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Neat Phlogios an iron with attitude :wink: you still have unwrap and texture it where the real work is :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

All cred goes to Fendorin for drawing the concept :D I just made the model ;D

EDIT: Read the original article including concept here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8377

(Yes I know my model is a bit short :P )
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

god dag
new drawing:

hej då
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Going to make him work for that credit are you Fendorin :wink: I like your color pattern highlights it's shape nicely

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I'm gonna throw away my model and start again, because I'm too stupid to figure out how to make the changes. I think I can do it, though. :D
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

OK i can't wait ( and maybe plogios you'r so busy with bump mapping plan)

i make a little Vigilance new Purist corvette
heavy armoured and two anti spinal capital gun? or torpedo bay?
i don't know.

the texture is not final texture but already more advanced
and i don't know if purist for ''big'' unit use totaly white pattern or maybe 50/50 grey and white
i wait advertissement from Jacks

but i think the shape is good

Maybe more windows for purist? and more tag's indications on hull.

Tell me you r opinion and critics :
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Looking very nice. Can't wait to see the final texture.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Oh snap! I forgot about the vigilance :P I think it looks nice, but I think both the concept and the model could use a more, how shall I put this.. rotund body. The part between the bridge and the thrusters, that is. Another thing would be to use Ion thrusters instead of having a giant gas-guzzler running around and eating fuel. These exhausts should probably be blue, not yellow.

Oh, and since this is a big ship, it could definitely use more polygons. Nice interpretation though :D
Madawg
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Madawg »

Looks very very good.
Good texturing work even if some darker areas are sometimes hard to read. But this might come from your normals, you might want to check your smoothing groups.
Can't wait to see more from you.

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible in the software you're using but could you try baking an ambiant occlusion in your diffuse just to see what it gives? It should make your model look more "solid".
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible in the software you're using but could you try baking an ambiant occlusion in your diffuse just to see what it gives? It should make your model look more "solid".

what is this????
and how to for that?
put light behind model?

i never learn 3d or 3d program and i use wings 3d

but my real work is with gimp ( 90 percent)
Madawg
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Madawg »

Ambient occlusion takes into account attenuation of indirect light caused by nearby geometry to create shadows. It usually makes the model looks more realistic.
I don't think you can do that in Wing 3D (although I never used it so I'm not sure of that). Maybe you can fake it with some skylight render or something of that kind. (Skylight is probably what has been used on the very first screenshot of this thread).

Baking it is just rendering it as a 2D texture (using your UVs) you can then add as a multiply layer in Gimp.

There's a free tool called xNormal that allows you to do that if you want to give it a try. For an optimal result, you have to make sure you don't have any overlapping in you UVs (except if it's for mirroring or stuff like this of course).

If you don't feel confident enough, maybe you can send me your model in a 3DS Max compatible format and I'll do it for you (it very fast). PM me if you want to do that.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

pre-final texture for vigilance

Post by Fendorin »

Hello

the texture is better now (i hope)

And i try to make ambient light but i can t see a great difference (maybe i make mistake)

Two texture

ONE for Military purist:

and

SECOND for Homeland security "Expedition ship /Support Ship"

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nice clean look :D

Kalessin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kalessin »

Really nice :)
<shaddai> moi j'ai jamais niqué grâce à IRC
<sam> il manque une virgule
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

whoa... everyone's very productive lately :wink: another sweet looking ship fendorin ^^
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

for down load if you have idea for put turret or whatever torpedo bay or ( i don't know) you can make unit list and bfxm files(if you understand because me i m so stupid!!) for includes this ship

http://www.divshare.com/download/2761377-64b
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello i improve the texturing for this ship

before this ship had 2 texture faction(purist and homeland securities) i lost the psd file then i propose just one faction + nice damage one
and i change the size of the window for be more according with corvette style-size
and a nice glow map too
and a colored spec map
and a "dusty" bump map with a lot of "choc"

miss the shield-mesh and the HUD image

DivShare File - VigilanceV2.zip

what it's look like with the "new texture pack":
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I love this ship AND the texturing, but it kind of makes me forget about the war... With those sight-seeing decks and wood finish I feel like paying $2500+ for a pleasure cruise aboard it. Seriously; a full week of play time just sipping virtual margaritas. This is really pretty, and deserves better than getting scratched by a bullet.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I love this ship AND the texturing, but it kind of makes me forget about the war... With those sight-seeing decks and wood finish I feel like paying $2500+ for a pleasure cruise aboard it. Seriously; a full week of play time just sipping virtual margaritas. This is really pretty, and deserves better than getting scratched by a bullet.
I think those sight seeing decks are actually lights, with only the bridge in the middle bow having viewports and the wood finish might be rust if you look carefully at the upper bow of the ship closely in the top pic.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

If it's rust, it needs less specularity. Rust is diffuse; so wherever there's redness, to that extent there should be a drastic darkening in specular. Also, I think what I'm seeing here is that the specular texture is gray-scale (desaturated), and if so that's what makes the specularities look dielectric, so it looks like varnished wood rather than metal.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Okay so rust has specular color but it is very dark then, right?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Actually, most metal oxides, if not all, are dielectrics; so they behave like non-metals, optically speaking. If they had any specularity, it would be dielectric specularity. Where things get more complicated is that some rusts of some metals occupy roughly the same volume as the metal itself, such as aluminum rust; while most rusts occupy larger volumes and are brittle, such as iron rust. The former form a thin, closed layer that protects the metal from further oxidation, while the latter form scales that trap water and accelerate oxidation. So, to represent aluminum oxide, in CineMut, you'd put clouds of non-zero "dielectric blend", and a fixed dielectric constant that suits aluminum oxide. Iron rust, however, because of all the scaling and stuff, forms a surface so irregular that, even if the chemical itself has dielectric specularity, the end result is a matte surface (diffuse only).
So, to put rust on a ferrous surface, you sprinkle some redness, and then take that redness and turn it into a mask to darken specular; and you'd probably want to darken specular all the way to zero. The only justification for not going to zero is that if a texture texel represents a square foot on the ship, within that square foot there might be some rusted and some non-rusted areas.