Proposed Model For A Forsaken Havey Fighter

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

The TIE's in the pic Oblivion posted aren't even Bombers... the Bombers had two long tube sections for the body, not just two fused balls, and no notches in the wings. Unless, perhaps, those are some advanced light bomber or a gunship version.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

It's been a long while, but actually, I think the pic Oblivion posted was of the Tie Advanced Bomber. But don't hold me to that.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

You know, I never liked star wars...
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Sunfire:
those are tie BOMBERS
:P are not. Those are gunships alright. Purportedly by the website. :wink:

@Klauss: I see the resemblance now.

Megatherion:
You know, I never liked star wars...
Lol. Me neither. But it's the biggest space fiction franchise. So... got no choice but to watch it and love the duels. Though the force with me not is. :lol:

Wonder why nobody saw the most obvious similarity by my own eyes. Not intentional, but it looks like an assault helicopter (also called an assault gunship, btw, :lol: ), an Apache or a Cobra. Though not the wings. :D

Anyway, Final Renders are in. I'll post them as soon as I finish uploading em. And got them ingame AT LAST. :D

But ran into problems. I'll post my problems later. Here're the screenshots of them ingame. The first batch had my ship quite puny, and facing the wrong direction, and with texture and mesh problems, rpobably from the export. :( (BTW: For 3dsmax5 modellers: Though the axes coords is different from Wings, DO NOT ROTATE THE MODEL TO Z ORIENTATION; The default front of 3dsmax5 is the same as in Wings - that is equivalent to Z in wings)

First Try:

The second try, got me a bigger ship with correct orientation. But with an excess in wax jobs by the pilot. Stupid him. .. Me actually :roll: And guns that fire from the correct vertex, I tried to attach it to. But only one fires. Dunno why. It's supposed to be armed to the teeth, I attached a lot of it on the ship.

Thanks a lot to Halleck and Klauss for the previous help in summarizing how ships get ingame. And thanks to whoever wrote those wiki articles. Now for the renders themselves. just a moment...
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Okay Final Renders:

This is as good as I could make it look:
:roll:

BTW: Chuck seems to have finally left VS. :( No Chuck. No FTP. :cry:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Oblivion wrote:Sunfire:
those are tie BOMBERS
:P are not. Those are gunships alright. Purportedly by the website. :wink:
YAY! im not as big a dork as i thought i was!! :D

nice shiny ship! :wink:
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

nice shiny ship!
TOO shiny.

Got to wipe of* that goo before I try to commit it. Got everything almost done with the units.csv.. will see if it works tho.

:wink:

*Notice my constant mistake. My disappointment. I was editor-in-chief of our school paper. I won some awards on the national level for some stories. I am supposed to be fluent in english. And yet... I leave off the f in off which really pisses me of. See? :roll: When I try to directly convert my thoughts into keyboardish, I end up basing spelling on sound. And grammar goes flying in the four winds. :P Just finding fault with my own perfection. IGNORE ME :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

IMHO, the top fin is a bit too big. Like, I wouldn't want to smash it in the roof of a space station. But maybe that's just me not knowing how to "hyper-super-hitech-dock". :oops: But apart from the top fin the ship is gorgeous :D . A lot better than my ships :lol: btw, I uploaded three of them in the gallery.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... g2_page=17 (dagger and *boxship:P*)
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... g2_page=18 (defender)
I'm just trying to learn how to make ships.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

the top fin is a bit too big
nah. :wink: it supposed to house the capacitators and shield generators (glowing racks on sides). The hold being cramped as it is. I can't change it no more. :wink: But I did plan to have a 2-winged version as soon as I finish with this and the battlecruiser. :?

Dagger and defender looked nice. :wink: Though a bit more polygons on the dagger maybe. It doesn't look that smooth as is what I imagine you wanted it to be. the boxship... weeell... :P lol. Unless it's maintenance..
I'm just trying to learn how to make ships.
Want to help make ships? :D read on in the VSwiki about articles on ship creating. And welcome! :wink: VS certainly needs more modellers.

Can't help with specifics tho. I'm can barely grasp wings as it is. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I totally agree about the "dagger" not being smooth enough. I'm working on it :). The boxship is just a joke :D. Noticed the steering wheel inside? :P A spaceship with a steering wheel lol. My dad thought it was a masterpiece tho :P. Anyway, nice work!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

gracias. :D will be changing color style though to black on white.
My dad thought it was a masterpiece tho
:roll: Dads.. How much did you bribe him. :lol: joke.
I'm working on it
8) feel free to post images in the artworks thread. Lots of others can help you with wings, if you've got questions. I'm a noob myself in this kind of modelling, but I use 3dsmax. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:?: Is this ship really suitable for VS? I wouldn't want to go the extra mile only to find out it doesn't fit.

So okay, it doesn't look forsaken. And If I have to change the cockpit to the neutral navy blue of the human factions, I would.

You see, I'm working on shipstyles now, and i guess I just realized that the ships I've been making don't really match up that much to the current models.

So I'll try harder (The Gaozong proposal is a result). But, since both this and the Battlecruiser are already slated for inclusion, I ask this again:

Are they really right for VS?

Part of the problem with my hesitation in continuing to work on them is the confusion with shipstyles. I wouldn't want to be the cause of some glaring inconsistency with shipstyles.

I beg you to reconsider your verdicts. ;)

I won't get hurt if they get rejected at second opinion. .. I mean really :lol: I can make more, and I prefer creating afresh than redoing hopelessly ruined models.

So. I need a solid decision. Ditto with the andolian battlecruiser, tho I find them good enough (for me), but what I want to know is, Do they really really fit?

:P
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't see anything contradictory. Perhaps you'd like to explain what you find contradictory between those two ships and shipstyles.

Remember that most current ships ingame are just old and hated, but have no replacement.

But... solid final decisions on this kind of stuff are JackS department.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Without directly answering the question at hand, I can perhaps assuage more root doubts -

I do not have sufficient prognostication powers to say whether the models are posessed of sufficient detail and sufficiently in-line with yet-to-be-finalized specifications that they are VS 1.0 ready/compliant. I am entirely certain, however, that this isn't at all the question to be asking right now, because I am also certain that they are/will readily be sufficiently detailed/compliant for VS 0.5.

The lack of art specs is largely my albatross, and until I'm no longer wearing it, the due dilligence which you have clearly exercised in making the models cohesive with such ethereal perceptions of syles as currently exist is what you needed to worry about as the bar to pass, and a bar that you have passed. Do not fear that your models will lead those that come later astray in the face of the eventual specifications, especially as being led astray towards your models cannot help but be closer to any eventual destination than being led astray by the ancient relics of hand-edited XML and such that still wander the musty murk of our repository ( - additionally, any features that you decide (post-facto to the introduction of the model) are shortcomings whilst the specifications are being worked on can be noted in the specifications for the relevant faction). Progress, in a project that lays bare its innards in the way that this one does, seems to beg for some iteration, if only to produce viable stopping points at a glacial, rather than geological or cosmological timescale. While this does not excuse the absence of planning that can often leaves roads ahead of us unpaved here, and while artwork is a bit less amenable in scaling its resource burdens with the number of associated revisions, it does mean that you need not wait for perfection, nor fret until all doubt becomes certainty.

... at least until 1.0, which will clearly be a devout rendering of Platonic perfection.

*cough*

:)
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

What have you been reading lately JackS?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

geoscope wrote:What have you been reading lately JackS?
To be honest, most of my very recent reading has been of the conference submissions I've been assigned to review and assorted entries from their reference lists.

:-p
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

... at least until 1.0, which will clearly be a devout rendering of Platonic perfection.
:lol: hope so.

Okay, thanks. So I will finish them after all. :wink: Klauss sorry for the delays with the battlecruiser's (or is it cruiser?) textures. Seeing you're busy now, it could probably wait a while longer...NOT. :P I've been putting off working on old models too long.

Pep talk by JackS helps sometimes. lol

....Even if it's unintelligible pep talk that requires the Webster's New Dictionary and Thesaurus of JackTalk at the least and optimally the latest Rlaan Briin Omnitranslator. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oblivion wrote:....Even if it's unintelligible pep talk that requires the Webster's New Dictionary and Thesaurus of JackTalk at the least and optimally the latest Rlaan Briin Omnitranslator. :lol:
Hehe... nah... you only need a Turbo Decoder. Or any decoder for convoluted codes. ;)

I've noticed (in myself) that the degree of rampaging flamboyancy (ie - absurdly abundant metaphor) in one's speech is inversely proportional to the amount of tech talk done in RL.

You didn't want me to talk to you while I was working on finals... really... you would need a telepath to get the meaning out (a good one at that).
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

and one should alwas remember that Phd also meams "piled higher and deeper" :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

I was thinking the language of his remarks was in keeping with JackS being the VS Minister of BS... um, Information
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Just in case there's any doubt in the tone of all those remarks, we all rejoice upon reading those parabollic comments, even when it's a bit harder to extract the information from them.
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Phd also meams "piled higher and deeper"
..or that doctors (even of philosophy) go to school for yearts so that they could develop unreadable transcriptions? :P
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,