Proposed Model For A Forsaken Havey Fighter

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Proposed Model For A Forsaken Havey Fighter

Post by Oblivion »

...finally! :wink: I managed to sit down in front of 3dsmax for longer than 4 hours and did this model.

Meant as Forsaken, but it looks kinda clean.
Logo and color scheme is kinda temporary. Pending JackS decision on the spider logo, ... well, I don't want to think much of redoing textures. ;) It destroys minds! :roll:

It's still undone. I need to do something more to make the textures seem more complicated. Anyway, It's pretty low poly so, no problems with having to add more polygons.

here's the poly count:

and the ship mugshots:

Some renders for fun so you can see what details are finished as of now:

A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Nice work again, Oblivion :)

It kinda looks too fragile for a heavy fighter, IMO. You know, it looks like a FF missile would rip one of it's wings off with ease.

Also, (only in theory), the model would look a bit better with some asymetric detail or some smooth surfaces. Otherwise, the geometry seems too 'perfect'. :roll:
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Tenks
It kinda looks too fragile for a heavy fighter, IMO. You know, it looks like a FF missile would rip one of it's wings off with ease.
Those're not wings, at least technically :wink: , they're weapon mounts. And lots of em. ;) I'm unsure as to how to make missile racks. Do I make the tubes or is it attached? The missiles are supposed to be on the tip of the big wings. Guns on both sides of the front lateral fins.

The further the missiles are away from the body, the less chance of self-inflicted explosions. Anyway, shields should take care of defense. And the thinness of the fins in front and back view makes it difficult to hit. ;)

...I'm making up excuses really. lol

This ship is BIG, more heavy fighter/BOMBER, than heavy fighter. Just compare window sizes with other ships in VS.
I'm hoping I'm closer to true size realistically.
Also, (only in theory), the model would look a bit better with some asymetric detail or some smooth surfaces. Otherwise, the geometry seems too 'perfect'
Thanks. Exactly. That's what my problem is. I'll spend a few more days on this and see if I can come up with better textures. Perhaps I'll have to change some shading, add real panels with differing textures from the base metal, add pipes and greebles that peek through them, etc. Well... hard work. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Oblivion wrote:This ship is BIG, more heavy fighter/BOMBER, than heavy fighter. Just compare window sizes with other ships in VS.
I'm hoping I'm closer to true size realistically.
:oops:
Also, (only in theory), the model would look a bit better with some asymetric detail or some smooth surfaces. Otherwise, the geometry seems too 'perfect'
Thanks. Exactly. That's what my problem is. I'll spend a few more days on this and see if I can come up with better textures. Perhaps I'll have to change some shading, add real panels with differing textures from the base metal, add pipes and greebles that peek through them, etc. Well... hard work.
hmm. I meant it about the mesh, not textures. :)
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Well, apart from those not-wings near the front it is quite nice. But those look a bit strange. Perhaps if you made them triangular it would look better. And the thin sticklike thing protruding from the quite massive rest of the ship could be a bit shorter...even though I see that it is quite practical in case of a critical hit...like the tail of a Lizard (well, the other way round actually) that can be dropped in case of danger.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Well, apart from those not-wings near the front it is quite nice. But those look a bit strange
lol. yep "not-wings". But that's exactly the purpose. making it triangularish would make it look Wing-like. Which it is not. It is for mounting heavy guns. ;)

Perhaps I have not provided enough renders of perspective views. They don;t look as awkward as the stiff mugshot postures. :wink: Trust me, they do look nice in normal not strictly-aligned views.
even though I see that it is quite practical in case of a critical hit...like the tail of a Lizard (well, the other way round actually) that can be dropped in case of danger.
which thin sticklike things? The large not-wings? ;)
Okay, I'll try and shorten em up. But no promises. I kind of like their thinness myself. ;) thanks
hmm. I meant it about the mesh, not textures.
noted. Since its less than just 2k faces at the moment. Adding more is no problem. thanks ;)

EDIT: All the emoticons here are :wink: . hehe. dunno why I tend to use the wink emoticon to convey a wry smile or a wince. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
antarctic
Explorer
Explorer

Post by antarctic »

Nice looking model Oblivion - although I kinda agree with Kangaroo regarding the 'look' of the model. However, it'd make a really cool Electronic Warfare/Radar/Reconnissance platform. The thin wing-like protrusions make good antenna fairings :D

Regards
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I like the general shape.
If you polish the rough angles (blockiness), it has lots of potential.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

With some white windows on some hull textures, it looks more like a small capital ship than it is as a heavy fighter.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

I agree that it looks more like a light capship than a heavy fighter, per se. I like the look, though, and I think, with a bit of polishing, it'd be great to see it in-game. :)
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

prolog wrote:I agree that it looks more like a light capship than a heavy fighter, per se. I like the look, though, and I think, with a bit of polishing, it'd be great to see it in-game. :)
Definitely - more like a gunship: an oversized bomber.
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

antarctic
regarding the 'look' of the model
yup, too clean. :(

klauss
rough angles (blockiness),
roger. :wink:

Paslowo
white windows on some hull textures, it looks more like a small capital ship than it is as a heavy fighter.
prolog
I agree that it looks more like a light capship than a heavy fighter, per se
klauss
more like a gunship
:wink: hehe. sorry. So, what would it best be?

1.Heavy Bomber - more appropriate as missiles are the main weapons of this ship, mounted on the wings.
2.Heavy Fighter - if guns could be mounted too.
3.Gunship - I kind of think of gunships as support ships. Meant primarily for defense. Slow yet armed to the teeth. So, I'm not too keen on it being a gunship, unless its definition can be tweaked to include quick assault capability. :P
4.Corvette - I for one think its too small. But corvette sizes differ.

e.g. for homeworld 2 fighters are BIG. Corvettes only slightly bigger. This is realistic since fighters in VS are fully jump capable and can support their pilots on long voyages, unlike true carrier-borne interceptors which are only equipped for limited combat time outside their respective motherships (I believe JackS refers to these as parasite interceptors).

in independence wars two, their corvettes are the usual combat ship size. Their fighters are teeny tiny and need to are dependent on motherships such as corvettes.

in freelancer their fighters are small, much like current VS ships which for me is unrealistic as they seem to be modelled with an atmospheric jet fighter in mind. Which is misleading because space fighters have to be large to accomodate all that equipment and cargo. so... which is which?

PS @JackS - I've yet to do the method for determining ship size you suggested to me. :P I'm just lazy, I think. But I think I'm on target when I say that current VS ships are way too small.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

If you want it to be a bomber, remove the smaller windows. Leave only the bigger ones, that, IMHO, would make it the right size.

Though I like gunship. Gunships are support ships, but they can be used for assaults (say, engage the enemy with your main ship, then launch gunships and try to overwhelm their defenses). They can't assault on their own, but they're key on almost every assault: they're small enough to dodge most defensive fire, drawing fire away from your main ships, and they have enough firepower to ensure both lots of extra damage and not being ignored (noone can afford to ignore a gunship).
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

If you want it to be a bomber, remove the smaller windows.
affirmative. 8)

What do you say if I try to create a ship size and function reference for VS, itll help modellers and would take no more than some text descriptions from you guys and I'll convert it to images. But then, everybody'd a bit busier. :wink:

So.. gunship or bomber, they're both about the same size anyway :wink: . I will take heed and make it look smaller. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Whatever it is, I think it looks cool. Dunno why people complain about the front fins/wings. Sure, they don't look typical, but that makes the model look more unique. I think they add character.

I can't wait for the next VS release. With all these new models, it's going to be an amazing experience with so much depth. Oblivion, you da man.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

With all these new models
:oops: :oops: :oops:

oh no....
:roll: I feel so guilty, I could crawl somewhere and shrink...
down down down...

:roll: I haven't submitted even one model worthy of being included. The Hawking should have been.(And I VOW I will finish it before August ends).

Of course I have reasons, excuse letters, medical certificates, newspaper clippings... lol :lol: I've been down for a month (depression, the normal teenage angsts, lol), been busy with schoolwork, and generally too tired to push through with inspiration. Not too mention, me being inexperienced in modelling as well as the intricates of coding.

so sorry... :oops: hehe

Well, I'll do my best to finish one model first (and really try to get it ingame this time! :wink: ), then do another, then another...
Let's start with this one.

Tentative Name:

Official Designation: Forsaken NS-01 Nurial (Godlight)
Code Designation: Raven Gunship (or bomber...I'll let you all decide when its finished tho)

Here are screenies of how it looks like, pseudo-bumped, and the edges beveled, though beveling them further destroys the mesh itself. So it's subtle. Not sure if it changes anything tho. I still have to retexture it, and expect the number of polygons to double. The older model might be useful as a LOD.

I only hope have the willpower. I'm well known for my laziness. hehe
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Well it feels like you've created about 20 models already... just start polishing them off and getting them into the game via approval of the various leads around here. i.e. ask Jacks which ones he thinks should go in and get them in!

I think this looks like a gunship...
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Definitely Gunship... I reminds me of Tie-Fighter's gunship.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@geoscope
Tie-Fighter's gunship
TIE? :wink: The cockpit certainly bears resemblance.

@charlieg
:D ok. But I'll not ask unless I really have something.. thanks for the encouragement, it might change the way I work. lol
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

geoscope wrote:I reminds me of Tie-Fighter's gunship.
Wow... now I know why it seemed familiar. :lol:
It sooo looks like it, it's the "wings".
Wing Commander Universe
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

It sooo looks like it
I don't really know what you people are seeing. lol
Does TIE mean Star Wars? I'll search for a pic of the gunship. :oops:

...No it doesn't, at least to me. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

pssshht.... those arent tie fighters... those are tie BOMBERS... geez... get it right :roll: ( :P )

were you guys perhaps thinking of X-wings?

maybe... but i dont really see much of a connection...

and i think the ship kinda rocks.... :wink:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's not the gunship.
It's not called gunship, actually. It's the "Assault Gunboat"
Wing Commander Universe
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yep, definitely more of an X-wing than a Tie.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.