HAMMER aka TOAD - LIHW Heavy Fighter

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

sweet beans O_O
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Two more concepts/quick drafts (NOT FINAL!!!!!):

Eeeii! Stop shooting at my shiny ship, capitalist scum!
(too much red atm, I'm working on it... Guess where the inspiration came from :P)

A hunter ship. Going for a discrete, camoflaged (i.e. black-ish) look. You won't know what hit you until that torp is ten meter from blowing your ship to a million pieces...

Here's a better pic of the sabre-tooth tiger painting - which may or may not become a common theme among hunters... do they need a logo? Or maybe they already have one that I'm not aware of?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IMO, hunters, as would pirates, would have each their own logo and motif. It's not like confed, which would have uniform logos. Hunters and pirates are more personal, and each of them would have customized paitings, if any at all.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Well, there is a Hunter faction... And as a faction they might have a logo, but you do have a point.
Having a custom paintjob for every single different hunter... ugh... it's not gonna happend, unfortunately. I'll leave any "logos" off the ship, but they sabre-tooth paintjob stays! :)

Ugh.. the ISO paintjob is really gaudy. I need to work on the colors there...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

tiny paintings wrote:Having a custom paintjob for every single different hunter... ugh... it's not gonna happend, unfortunately.
I know. I wasn't thinking that way... I was just pointing out wat would seem to be true. Now, wether we want or can have that kind of variety, that's another thing.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

For those who might think the fangs are too big, like I did at first, here's the reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon_californicus
;-)
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Ehm.. the more I look at the ISO ship the more I feel it just looks... crap. I'm gonna have another shot at it.
Are there any originals around for the ISO logos? I found bitmapped versions of 'em but what I'd like is vector graphics (if there aren't, I'm game in re-creating them from the bitmaps).
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

If per FlightGroup differentiation ever happens, I don't see any other way to for it to happen save through procedural generation of a decal texture mapped into some designated regions of the hull. VS has logo/decal support now, but I wouldn't bother worrying much about anything requiring them until after model format changes dependent upon engine reorganizations have happened (and we don't have procedural texture gen yet anyway :)).

Hmm. The saber-tooth is pretty, but the color ratios aren't quite what I was expecting, namely I was thinking more Blood, less charcoal - if one of the skins were to be a bit brash, I'd expect it to be the Hunters. They aren't stealthy assassins, they're in the business of killing for fun and profit :)
So, impudent, but not necessarily gaudy :)
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

jackS wrote: Hmm. The saber-tooth is pretty, but the color ratios aren't quite what I was expecting, namely I was thinking more Blood, less charcoal - if one of the skins were to be a bit brash, I'd expect it to be the Hunters. They aren't stealthy assassins, they're in the business of killing for fun and profit :)
So, impudent, but not necessarily gaudy :)
Alright, I'm on it. The colors you suggested made me think "stealthy"... But the tiger paintjob will go pretty nicely with a more striking look, too.
tiny paintings wrote:Are there any originals around for the ISO logos? I found bitmapped versions of 'em but what I'd like is vector graphics (if there aren't, I'm game in re-creating them from the bitmaps).
*bump* I still want them (and vector graphics for any other logos there are, too).

If anyone else wants to do a skin for the ship, I'd be happy to outsource the production of LIHW and ISO skins.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

tiny paintings wrote:
tiny paintings wrote:Are there any originals around for the ISO logos? I found bitmapped versions of 'em but what I'd like is vector graphics (if there aren't, I'm game in re-creating them from the bitmaps).
*bump* I still want them (and vector graphics for any other logos there are, too).
If they exist, I don't have 'em ... the only person who might (besides whoever made them) is hellcat I guess...

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

I don't think the logos are finished yet, let alone vector versions of them.

I know the Klk'k still need a logo. It's just not right that they are using the Aera logos.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Hammer model available in masters needs attention to be brought to the latest shape presented in this thread. The masters folder also contains 2 textures though they look a bit dubious. Any artists willing to take up the challenge of bringing this model up to integration readiness is welcome to work on it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I owe Tiny Paintings big. He was my texturing tutor. Taught me the value of ambient occlusion and radiosity bakings, gradients and streaks, of using multiple layers and working at higher resolution, then reducing texture size at the end, and many other stuff. Least I can do for him is finish his Todd/Hammer/whatever. (Great ships!)
What needs to be done?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Most likely just a texture job chuck i haven't had a look yet so use your own judgement he tutored you well :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I do remember his texturing master had like 50 or 60 layers in Gimp.
Might make a good test for LaGrande and CineMut Opaque.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I haven't verified the models that are available as to
1) Which of them represents the best model, and
2) If the latest model is up to the latest concept represented in this thread

I'd prefer a knowledgeable artist to have an eye on this part.

Then, there are no texture masters available whatsoever, this means texturing from scratch.

@Chuck
I am more than happy to see you willing take up this task, as I know we will be seeing top quality results.
Besides testing the LGN it would be worth evaluating if this model could be then used as a reference model for the mesher converter.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Thanks. Well, tiny paintings had (has) an ftp account on my deeplayer website, and all his works are there. For the Todd, there's a 41 meg xcf texture master, safe and sound:
http://deeplayer.com/tiny_paintings/toad/toad7.xcf
Not that there isn't a lot of work to do reorganizing for CineMut and LaGrande ;-) but at least all the hand-work is there.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Wow! This is OT, but are there not by any chance one of his other models available too, the Ellison private yacht and the Vulture Forsaken Corvette? For the Ellison we don't seem to have the latest model available and none for the Vulture.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Great. Those are the latest model concepts of the Ellison.
The mechanical arms were discussed in some other thread which I can't find right now. They'd make great additions to a station or a transport ship if there were models available.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You'd need more than models for that: keyframe animations at least; but probably more like skeletal stuff, and even inverse kinematics, so that it could be interfaced to some kind of AI.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

VS really needs vertex keyframing or skeletal animation anyway. More than anything though it needs a real content pipeline and both of those things would come free with a completed port to OGRE.

Too bad the port itself is so expensive, though I wonder if any of the intense clean-up work safemode has done has cleared a path for it so that it is no longer so much of a big deal.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I have just put he texture source xcf (GIMP) file for the Hammer into the svn masters.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Major cleanup of the mesh. Now it subsurf's properly.

Unfortunately, it requires a new unwrap also.
The old unwrap had islands randomly oriented, overlapped, and full of kinks and folds.
Unwrap is next.
Current file:
http://wcjunction.com/temp_images/toad/toad.blend

EDIT:
Actually, no; next is to complete mysteriously missing parts of the mesh I see in this old screenshot:

Doesn't look like the same mesh at all...
There was one .wings mesh in svn that wouldn't import in Blender; maybe that was it :(
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Nice work, chuck.
Looks like the latest mesh was not made available or it indeed is the corrupted one. Too bad.