HAMMER aka TOAD - LIHW Heavy Fighter

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

* Radiation fins enlongated. Not by very much but as much as I could, really.
* Added two 2 piece missile mounts on the underslung retrothruster (quantity, size? are they okay as is?) as requested. I hope the engine will attach some kind of model to them.
* Added a small target tracking sensor array on the top of the cockpit region, hope you don't mind it. It'll look cool. It also has good sensor coverage now. (+ minor details)

The fuselage and cockpit are intentionally faceted. I modelled the ship from an octotoad ;)

Don't know what vweaps is but I'm guessing you're saying "leave the weapon geometry out, those two guns will be added later" - right?

It weighs in at a hefty 5100 or so tris, turret and all included.
Here's the model for anyone who is interested:
http://www.d.kth.se/~gimaker/vs/toad/toad14.wings

I pretty much think the geometry is done now, if no one objects to that. Geometry alone is starting to look pretty interesting.
If I get heads up I'll start to think about texturing, and dreaming nightmares of UV-mapping the beast, yuck :x
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

looks good enough to take for a texturing spin - at 5100 tris, it'll need some LODs, but that's a good thing :)

just remember to saw off all of the moving parts before bothering to UV map it, as they'll need to be distinguishable objects :)
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Did you keep a copy of the original version? It could still go into WCU, and that would solve the "problem" of making the two look different. Unless WCU likes the new one better..
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

aaawesome.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

MamiyaOtaru wrote:Did you keep a copy of the original version? It could still go into WCU, and that would solve the "problem" of making the two look different. Unless WCU likes the new one better..
Yes I did, and yes it's still going to WCU :)
It might take some time before I decide how to best continue work on it, but I promise I will do it. You just have to be patient :)

@jackS: Good! :) I could probably added another 1000 tris of geometry... but 5000 seems pretty high, no?

@chuck: greebly enough for ya? ;)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Actually, I looked at the thread for the first time yesterday, and it was a pleasant surprise in more than one way. Only problem is, if capships looked the size of trucks yesterday, tomorrow they'll look like from toys-r-us by comparison :) But the onus is on them to get greeblish.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

I finally got this beast unwrapped:
(all moving parts removed! they're due for unwrapping later...)
Not much of a texture yet, though :)

I am, however, considering recasting the geometry a bit - removing some detail and making the fuel piping on the wings a bit smaller, moving it further back the wing. It's almost too busy as it is now. And I realized some of the detail I added will pretty much never ever be viewed so close to warrant the polygons. Opinions and thoughts on this?

If anyone wants to make suggestions or requests regarding texturing, colors, greebles etc. now is the time.

(If anyone knows where to find a working obj exporter for blender 2.37a I'd much appreciate it!)
Last edited by tiny paintings on Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

The built in obj exporter script works fine for me...what's the problem with it?

and..image doesn't show

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Hmm. Built-in you say? Where is it?! I can't find it in the export menu (actually I had no py scripts installed with it... I even had to install the "save UV layout" script manually, somethings fishy here...)
The image should show now, typo corrected.

EDIT: Fouund it, fixed it. If the install just could set the script paths right from the start :)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

wow, high badassosity there :shock:
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I like the pipes.

Just a suggestion: Keep this one, with pipes, as a Top-level LOD (with the changes I'll mention later). Simplify the pipes, and perhaps the rest of the geometry as well (but not much, the pipes are mostly the issue), and make it a LOD level. Now, for the Top-level LOD, add some more detail to the rest of the ships (matching in geeometry detail level that of the pipes).

Of course, independently from any other changes you may wish to apply.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

It's getting there... slowly...
Here's an update:
Last edited by tiny paintings on Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

That looks gorgeous.
hav0x
Trader
Trader

Post by hav0x »

looking really good. :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

charlieg wrote:That looks gorgeous.
My exact reaction.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

oooo teh shiny! :shock: very cool.
My Moral Code:
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

thanks! :D

@jackS:
What liveries should I make for this? I.e. who will utilize this craft? I assumed LIHW and ISO but what else?
Also, if you have any particular color guidelines post them too. Making the ISO ship go in red did occur to me... ;)
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Here's a draft/concept for a pirate/hunter/? skin:
(click for full-size, or here for a blender render).
Last edited by tiny paintings on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Dude, that is baaaad. Way bad. Straight up top quality modelling!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Man! How did you come up with that hunter/pirate texture? Exquisite.
Clean kill! The standards are shattered.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

:D :D :D
Thanks for all the positive response. I need it - it is kinda disheartening when you see the amazing things strangelet do. Makes you think "ugh, this sucks - I should leave this to the pros" sometimes.

I'll see if I can come up with any more nice patterns... or I might do a few color variations of the same theme.
The todo queue for the main mesh is starting to run short... :)

@chuck:
The pirate skin came from:
a) pirate colors? white and black!
b) um... flames?! that's a classic one... let's do a variant!

All executed with some poking around with the path tool in gimp, in two overlay layers.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I tried the path tool, finally; looks like a nightmare at first look...
Know of a good Gimp tutorial? I know how to use one layer at a time, like pasting something, but not how to use multiple layers, or how to save the work with layers and all...
Anyway, you're very right about working at high resolution, then scaling down at the end. It just shows on your ship. I think the full original detail is still there, subliminally perceptible, but perceptible anyhow. The greebles look awsome. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the highborn yatch. And I hope you'll do some capships too. ;-)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

tiny paintings wrote:thanks! :D

@jackS:
What liveries should I make for this? I.e. who will utilize this craft? I assumed LIHW and ISO but what else?
Also, if you have any particular color guidelines post them too. Making the ISO ship go in red did occur to me... ;)
Very pretty :)

LIHW (still in use in some places), Forsaken(purchased from LIHW surplus),Hunter(Purchased from LIHW and Forsaken, repo'd from pirates), ISO(obtained/purchased in Forsaken space), pirates(obtained)

LIHW color suggestions (in decreasing order of coverage) : Teal, Charcoal, Dark Brown

Forsaken color scheme directions-
Burgundy and Ochre on Tan/light brown (on metallics)

Hunters: Blood red on charcoal with dark blue accents

Pirates: - you seem to have that one down pretty well ;-) (of course, pirates might fly ships with anyone's or no-one's markings when they're outside of pirate-friendly space :)

ISO: Red, gold, on gray/metallics

These, of course, are "flag" colors - independent civilian entities operating such a vessel, no matter what their citizenship, may not have any particular faction's markings. There should be an "unpainted" texture as well.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I tried the path tool, finally; looks like a nightmare at first look...
Know of a good Gimp tutorial? I know how to use one layer at a time, like pasting something, but not how to use multiple layers, or how to save the work with layers and all...
Anyway, you're very right about working at high resolution, then scaling down at the end. It just shows on your ship. I think the full original detail is still there, subliminally perceptible, but perceptible anyhow. The greebles look awsome. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the highborn yatch. And I hope you'll do some capships too. ;-)
I didn't scale the texture down hehe :) 2048^2 in all its glory. TC and mipmapping takes care of ruining detail perfectly fine.
I'll post some texturing tips in the Texturing Questions thread, as it seems more appropriate there.