High-Born Luxury Yacht

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

tiny_paintings wrote:@Halleck:
<ass-whooping screenshots removed for your safety>
HOLY &$%^& THAT'S COOL. :mrgreen:
Those turrets OWN! The turret model was awesome enough by itself, but now that they're all duked out with textures... all I can say is snnnnnnnnnnap!

I'm glad that my article helped... although what's there is basically the extent of my knowledge on those matters. I see now that I should make a clarification about what spec maps do by default (modulate the reflectivity, not the actual specularity)

<soapbox>
The more well-documented VS is, the less time we'll spend giving general instructions to newcomers, and more time assisting them with specific technical issues.

Also, the advantage of making a howto is that you only have to write it once; after it's written, you can just refer people to it. This is why I wrote HowTo: Add Ships (since i've basically written that article twice already in the course of helping people on the forums).

So I guess this is my general plea for people with more knowledge on the subject to either add what they know to HowTo: Add Ships or write new articles at "HowTo:Add LODs" / "HowTo:Edit XMESH files".

Anyone up for it?
</soapbox>
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

@klauss: thanks for the help. since I couldn't see any difference, even though I tried my hardest, when using "specmap_with_reflection" I shall stick with reflection map and normal specularity until something better comes along. Don't know what I'm doing wrong (I've got sources from yesterday, so it should be there?) with "specmap_with_reflection" but I really don't feel like wasting anymore time on it :roll:

@halleck: It's looks rather neat ingame :D I even added blinking lights now hehe...
If you wanna give it a go I'll send you what I have atm for you to try out, just PM me.

I will try to add some documentation once I get the hang of things... at the moment however, it seems I am the one who needs it :oops:
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

tiny_paintings wrote:@halleck: It's looks rather neat ingame :D I even added blinking lights now hehe...
If you wanna give it a go I'll send you what I have atm for you to try out...
Awesome. Can you send it to fadookie@gmail.com ? No rush though, I won't be on a computer with VS until this weekend.
tiny_paintings wrote: I will try to add some documentation once I get the hang of things... at the moment however, it seems I am the one who needs it :oops:
Heh, I wasn't asking you to write the documentation, although if you wind up getting everything working and figuring out how you got there, it would certainly be appreciated. :wink:

EDIT:
F.Y.I, wings 3d's autoUV lets you generate textures from material colors. Since you already have some material colors on the model, you might want to try making a texture from those. Then the model should look at least as good in VS as it does in wings.

Also, you can control the size of those turrets with their respective scaling factors in units.csv- i'd take whatever it is currently and divide by two at least.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Halleck wrote: F.Y.I, wings 3d's autoUV lets you generate textures from material colors. Since you already have some material colors on the model, you might want to try making a texture from those. Then the model should look at least as good in VS as it does in wings.
Granted. But I'm not going to mess with texturing of the ship until I finalize the model.
Halleck wrote: Also, you can control the size of those turrets with their respective scaling factors in units.csv- i'd take whatever it is currently and divide by two at least.
The size of the turrets are correct. I think I set them to be approx. 2 meters long - if anything, they should be bigger :D
I just down-sized the ship I mounted them on to get a better view of them - they look tiny on a 180 m ship, and getting a good view with the F8-cam (yeah, for some reason the TurretAIKey is broken...) was almost impossible.

I'll wrap the files up in a tarball and send them today... I'll be leaving home for a few weeks today so I better get it done! :) [EDIT: sent 'em!]
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep. It should work. Problem is, this is a very well undocumentd feature.

Just make sure you have Reflective Per Pixel Lighting enabled by Setup, and add:

<section name="graphics">
<var name="specmap_with_reflection" value="true"/> <!-- this line -->

to the vegastrike.config

Perhaps you did't notice it because you still have black specularity? You would need to reactivate specularity.

Just in case you get bored and feel like trying again.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

JackS, the subject came up of the need for a luxury cruiser for WCU, while brainstorming on plot ideas. I've asked tiny paintings whether he would mind our using his Highborn Yatch, and he said "no problem, but asking JackS would be the proper thing to do", which I of course agree. Would it be a problem with you?
Note that tiny paintings will NOT skin it for WCU; I'll probably be doing that, so at least "superficially" it will look different ;)
In terms of the main plot, so far as it goes for now, it would appear occasion of political figures on a tour. And I've suggested there that it be of Firekkan manufacturing (a bird like race), friendly to humans.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

tiny paintings wrote:@halleck: It's looks rather neat ingame :D I even added blinking lights now hehe...
Question from the standpoint of someone who has never made a model for any game, let alone VS:

How are the blinkenlights done in VS? Just plain light sources with an oscillating brightness, or some kind of animation?

Reason I ask is, I'd be interested in model animation if it were possible. But if they're just light sources and nothing more, then ah well. :)
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Lights are texture animation. And the only mesh animation support we have atm is frame by frame type stuff ... atm I think the only way to actifvate the animation is by pressing an (unbound) key....but this'd change I'm sure if we had any animating art :-P

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Ellison wings model is now available in the svn masters section for courageous modelers who'd like to take up the challenge of bringing it up to jackS' comments and take it further up to the release. The available model most probably does not represent the latest stage shown in this thread (latest model could not be recovered) and would need to be be tweaked to bring it up to the latest status.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I see you are mining again :wink: pyramid good find :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Call it foreign-drives-mining-extravaganza :D

Thanks to chuck_starchaser's attention the most recent models for the Ellison yacht were recovered and put up in the masters.

There are 2 versions available:
* The standard yacht (yacht_base)
* Ellison Mk3 (yacht1_mk3) with additional dictator lookout

Last of jackS comments:
jackS wrote:Windows are wunderbar.
I'd leave weapons emplacements off of all but 1 variant, and make that 1 variant clearly the "Most beloved possession of a petty dictator of an insignificant moon"-style variant. Most customers wouldn't be sailing their yachts through pirate infested regions, and if they did, they'd arrange for protection that did not involve besmirching their paint-job. To survive the unexpected encounter, there are the tried and true methods of payoffs, and of running screaming for the authorities, hoping that one's shields hold out :)

A Dostoevsky (at least in current CVS, I tweaked the ship sizes a bit a week or so ago) is ~26 meters long. Thinking some more, I was thinking that the pinnace should probably be a fair bit bigger than the 20 m I first suggested, as it would likely be designed to seat several guests (with luggage) and the chauffeur. I was thinking of making it nestle into the curve behind the forward underslung region, rather than attaching it at the back - at the least, it would probably be a bit forward of the dostoevsky in the picture so as not to cause the passengers to have to disembark near the mechanic's and servants' quarters ;-)

Transparent textures - I believe the interior would need to be a distinct mesh with the current engine setup, but otherwise are great :)
The Mk3 was only proposed after this comment. It would be interesting to know which of the proposed concepts is preferable for inclusion into VS UTCS.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

This is another ship I'd gladly take on, with the added bonus that I have to do it anyways, for a future, PU-related project.
It needs a lot of work, though; it's beautiful, but just a concept. No details, no unwrap, pretty low-poly.