Determinant: New concept art available

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Is there any chance that this fantastic arrangement of polygons is still available on somebody's drive / backup storage?
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Pyramid, if there is no replacement model for the Determinant produced in whatever timeframe you feel is reasonable, then I would like to take a shot at it myself.

The Derivative was just my first step in replacing the oldest models of player purchaseable craft in the game, which ironically all happen to be manufactured by the Unadorned.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I was trying to contact the artists. etheral walkers email address does not exist anymore and pm doesn't get out of my outbox to neither etheral nor to nozmajner (though i was able to email nozmajner). Probably their inbox is full and since it's so long ago, the probability is small they'll ever check back. Though there is still a small chance that nozmajner answers. Just contacted the artists 2 days ago and during vacation season answers may take longer.
I would welcome this model in our data set, but If you don't want to risk wasting your efforts you may try first either the Ellison, it has an unfinished model in masters, or the Jackal which has concept art available but no model.

EDIT: actually etheral walker was so kind as to reply to my pm and there is still a chance that the model might be recovered.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Hi all, seems ther is many new peeps, and still some ancients like me over here^^
I still lurk around, still play too, but had to stop modding because of IRL choices. I still have copies of most of my work, as I digg them from my hard drives/gmail I will try to generate an overquota on pyramid's mailbox;p
edit: changed mail adress in profile, it should work now. It seems it wasted my admin rights over b5 forum (I don't really care, but I preferred the green color on my name instead of the white one, I'm an artist after all;p)
I see dead polygons....
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

nice to see you EW :D if you overflow pyramid's mail box try mine :wink: me forum name at gmail.com 8) PM me if you really want that moderator status

Enjoy the Choice. :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

etheral walker wrote:Hi all, seems ther is many new peeps, and still some ancients like me over here^^
I still lurk around, still play too, but had to stop modding because of IRL choices. I still have copies of most of my work, as I digg them from my hard drives/gmail I will try to generate an overquota on pyramid's mailbox;p
edit: changed mail adress in profile, it should work now. It seems it wasted my admin rights over b5 forum (I don't really care, but I preferred the green color on my name instead of the white one, I'm an artist after all;p)
You're a very talented modeler, hopefully if at somepoint in the near future life spares you more free time, you can continue you're work here.

BTW, do you have any copies still around of you derivative, determinant and convolution models in you're archive someplace?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Determinant model is now available in masters. Let's cross fingers that etheral walker finds the textures too. Link to Determinant masters.

The model is a lightwave file and can be easily opened with blender. There is also another model of the Determinant gun that I was able to recover.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

That is one cool design, couldn't resist doing some renders and a turntable animation of it;

ImageImageImage

turntable;

http://blip.tv/file/1138372
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

great!!!!!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Very cool 8)
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Determinant model has been put into the svn, both, the masters and data.
However the texture recovered by Bálint aka Nozmajner is not detailed and therefore the model calls for complete new texturing. Volunteers are welcome.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Just curious, have etheral_walker's convolution and derivative been commited to masters as well?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Derivative model is yours though I happen to have a quick-hack model around which I'll put on the masters svn.
I wasn't able to recover the Convolution model so far.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello Pyramid

what is it the highlight of unadorned
how this ship need to texturing???

many tag?
bolt?
plate?
higly modern?
flat surface?
painted?

if i have some element for detailed mabey i would texture both this one and the corvette Lemma

thank
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I've pm'ed jackS and hopefully he'll show up soon with a style guide at least for the texturing part.

Dunno how canon this is, but from this thread:
Unadorned Texture colors = Pink Dark Gray Dark Green
and
Some HUMAN Guidelines:

1)ALL human ship thrusters should be BLUE (That means BOTH Glow maps and the diffuse texture). Since I noticed that the animations used for thrusters is Blue, and it is quite disconcerting to see blue flames from a yellow thruster. And guidelins for alien thruster besides:
Aeran:Green
Rlaan:N/A. There're no thrusters Wink
Uln:Yellow/Red
Those are the only ship designing races, AFAIK.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pyramid wrote:I've pm'ed jackS and hopefully he'll show up soon with a style guide at least for the texturing part.

Dunno how canon this is, but from this thread:
Unadorned Texture colors = Pink Dark Gray Dark Green
Could we switch out Pink for something else?
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Pink is interesting, why switch it?
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Pink is interesting, why switch it?
Most North Americans see pink as an exclusively female colour and therefore inappropriate for a war ship :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

So many years in the future, who the hell is north american?
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

It is actually a little more complicated than just that:

1) Dark Grey, Dark Green and Pink together feels a little too random or showy for the Unadorned to me.

2) The Dark Green and Pink seem like they'd be really distracting and painful to look at together for the player.

3) Pink is a warm insides, womb color, that some say has a pacifing influence on people on an instinctive level. Like loki said this doesn't really fit a warship, and I don't think it fits a 'cold' faction like the Unadorned very well either.

4) There are six main colors (red, yellow, blue, orange, green and purple) and 4 ship building species- Aera, Human, Rlaan and Uln, and each has 2 main colors (and a shad of grey sometimes) except for the many Human factions who try to take over every color.

So for the sake of galactic contrast, it might be better if Human factions stuck to variations of their main two colors- blues and greens, versus Aera yellows and greens, Uln oranges and reds (maybe some yellows too) and Rlaan purples and reds.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I think pink in this context is has to be understood as anything between peach and light violet, salmon, light crimson, light red, light plum as seen on the color table in the Faction Screen Colors image.
fendorin2
Trader
Trader

Post by fendorin2 »

Ouais moi je suis d'accord avec Deus Siddis

le rose pour des simplet-fan-d'ordinnateur c'est pas terrible moi je dirais des motif un peu comme des cicuit imprimée quelque chose de laiteux un vert laiteux a milky-green
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

fendorin2 wrote:Ouais moi je suis d'accord avec Deus Siddis

le rose pour des simplet-fan-d'ordinnateur c'est pas terrible moi je dirais des motif un peu comme des cicuit imprimée quelque chose de laiteux un vert laiteux a milky-green
Given my limited time and effort spent learning any francais or latina, I can only translate what you said to me this far into my native english:
X my I am of agreement with Deus Siddis

The rose for of simple?-fan?-of ordinary X is X terrible my I X of motif one X come? of complete? X X chose of milk one point/green milk a milky green.
:?

I remind myself of the translator device from Mars Attacks:
All green of skin. 800 centuries ago their bodily fluids include the birth of half-breeds. For the fundimental truth and self-determination of the cosmos. For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.
fendorin2
Trader
Trader

Post by fendorin2 »

i m sorry i was under anger

i will translate:

Ya, i m agree with eus Siddis.
le rose pour des simplet-fan-d'ordinnateur c'est pas terrible
Pink for a simplest computing's fans is not terrible.
moi je dirais des motif un peu comme des cicuit imprimée
My, i will said, a pattern like a printed circuit board
quelque chose de laiteux un vert laiteux a milky-green
something like milky-green a milky green (and copper why not)

thank
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

The Unadorned dress their children funny (pink stays)

The key is to not use too much of it. Most of the unadorned ship surface would be grays or full-on unpainted. The pink should be used very sparsely, and the greens primarily for indication of confederation allegiance (I can't remember the status of the confed logo, but the unadorned will happily stamp it on their ships in green)

It's also worth remembering for the Unadorned that they aren't nearly as logical as they think they are, but that everyone humors them, kind of like that math/CS professor who always wears the same clothes every day but nobody says anything about it to his face because he has a Turing award.