Determinant: New concept art available

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Determinant: New concept art available

Post by jackS »

Thanks go again to Nózmájner who has continued to do a wonderful job.

Note that the craft can be assumed to have (excepting the cockpit) both top-bottom and left-right bilateral symmetry, even when both symmetric parts are not, for the sake of convenience, actually drawn in equivalent detail.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... side_dtl_3
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... ng_C_dtl_2
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... _top_dtl_3
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Nice!
Flowers Of Naivety
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Flowers Of Naivety »

Very cool.
"The flowers of naivety, buried in a layer of frost"
Concept Artist at: www.reteb.hlgaming.com
Shadowmane
Trader
Trader

Post by Shadowmane »

Um... it looks a lot like the new Convolution. Are they supposed to look that much alike?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Shadowmane wrote:Um... it looks a lot like the new Convolution. Are they supposed to look that much alike?
Given that they're manufactured and operated by the same faction(the Unadorned), I'm rather of the opinion that there should be distinct similarities :)
Shadowmane
Trader
Trader

Post by Shadowmane »

Cool. Nice design.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

lol still thinking about texture work for convolution :? It seems I won't update any other project, as I felt in love with this one too...
I see dead polygons....
DemonOLight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by DemonOLight »

Just out of curiosity:

Is there a reason for using fixed thrusters and not vector thrusters? It would probably look less bulky then having a five way thrusters for rolling and going sideways. Is it a game engine issue or just happened that way? This is not specific to this ship, I just happen to think of it while looking at it.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

thrust vectoring is only going to be effective with very low exhaust velocity propulsion systems.
Shadowmane
Trader
Trader

Post by Shadowmane »

Melarky!!! The Space Shuttle uses thrust vectoring. Granted, a simpler form of thrust vectoring, but that's that the main engines use.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

By VS standards, the space shuttle engines are a very low exhaust velocity propulsion system.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Notice that "very low exhaust velocity" != "very low power".

!= means different. I should say VERY different.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Lord Q'Daan
Trader
Trader

Post by Lord Q'Daan »

klauss wrote:Notice that "very low exhaust velocity" != "very low power"
If you're chucking heavy metals out the back of your craft, maybe.

JackS, could you elaborate slightly on the problem with thrust vectoring and high-velocity exhaust? Other than needing some really strong forcefields and/or materials to alter the course of the particle stream, I mean. I ask primarily because Star Wars ships use c-fractional particle streams, and as shown especially by the Invisible Hand, thrust vectoring is the primary means of transverse maneuvering.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Klauss, you're right that low exhaust velocity != low power, and I have my doubts any kind of particle thruster will even match the shuttle's present chemical rockets. However JackS never said anything about power, unless I missed it. High exhaust velocities are necessary for fuel efficiency, by "fuel" meaning in this case the stuff you shoot out. The lower the exhaust velocity, the more material you have to throw out, for a given impulse; and therefore the lower the mileage. And the problem with thrust-vectoring high speed exhaust is that it's not easy to make it turn. And presumably high exhaust velocity would imply some length of distance within the engine for a particle to accelerate to such high velocities, which would probably make it hard to put an engine on a pivoting platform, but I'm just guessing.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Lord Q'Daan wrote:If you're chucking heavy metals out the back of your craft, maybe.
You're neglecting mass flow rate.
Lord Q'Daan wrote: JackS, could you elaborate slightly on the problem with thrust vectoring and high-velocity exhaust? Other than needing some really strong forcefields and/or materials to alter the course of the particle stream, I mean. I ask primarily because Star Wars ships use c-fractional particle streams, and as shown especially by the Invisible Hand, thrust vectoring is the primary means of transverse maneuvering.
While it is entirely possible to turn a high velocity particle (assuming it has net charge) without having to posit any foreign properties of physics, the radius of the turning arc is going to be decidedly suboptimal for field strengths that make any reasonable sense. Using angled deflection plates is rather entirely out of the question unless one desires to replace them like shark's teeth under time-elapse photography.

As for how they do thrust vectoring of relativistic particle streams in SW, I haven't the foggiest, but then, it's never been my business to know much about how anything in that universe "works" ;-)
Lord Q'Daan
Trader
Trader

Post by Lord Q'Daan »

Don't we have shields in this universe? If they're useful for deflecting particle bursts from weapons, but not for thrust vectoring, then wouldn't your engines be by far your greatest weapon, if perhaps a difficult to aim one?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I began this one too
I see dead polygons....
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Great :-D

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

It seems the gods of the low bandwith are with me this morning, here come a first preview, so
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

the mesh is near completion, texturing work on the way, after mesh check with Nózmájner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I see dead polygons....
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Nice! Looks as if it had 3 times as many polys as it does. Not sure how you do it :)
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

I like it.
Anyway I would move the foremost edge of the wing a bit backward, so it follows the angle of the wings base.
Also I think that cone in the main engine shouldn't be that rounded.
Other than that, I like it.

You work fast, man I have to build up some speed with the derivative :D
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

As Kelso would say. "Looooking gooooooooood!" :D
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Lovin it ethereal :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

some updates.... Texturing on the way, I decided to keep the same feeling as the convolution, but as I read the post of ogre as renderer I began to think about shader works, as you can see I plan for bolts and stuffs like that for the hulls, for the central parts I need to learn a few more about the normal mapping tools for LW but I hope I will have some good results, as internet is fast this day I attach a sample for that too
I see dead polygons....