Agasicles (Aeran Destroyer, Venerable [was "Vark"]

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

Agasicles (Aeran Destroyer, Venerable [was "Vark"]

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

Well it's been a while since I started working on this, and this is actually a rebuild(The original being reduced to so many magnetic streaks when my harddrive failed), but eh, I need input because I have no clue what to do with the texturing for it. I'm trying to follow what the existing fighters have as far as any sort of paint on the hull(i.e. brown/blue) The bright bits are luma mapped. I don't want to hear anything about antennas, as I want the texture for the main part done first.:) I was told not to add portal or window lights to the hull by Jacks, so don't suggest that. ;)

So somone help me, heh, or at least suggest something. If anyone else wnats to give it a try let me know and I'll see about getting some webspace somewhere to host the model, what I have so far for textures and a 2048x2048 UV skeleton texture. Well I'm gonna go add more of the darker brown bits, check back in a bit.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Return of the Vark

Post by jackS »

f1gm3nt3d wrote:Well it's been a while since I started working on this, and this is actually a rebuild(The original being reduced to so many magnetic streaks when my harddrive failed).
My condolences.

hmmm I guess if you're looking to texture it, it's a bit late to be thinking about the differences between this version and the previous one, but there were three aspects that I was much happier with in the original, namely, the front spires were much shorter (actually, I think it's almost as much the case that the bay and torp launchers got pushed further back - the main section of the ship looks a bit short now), the 6 turret mounts were less pointy ( that is, they had larger flat areas on which to mount turrets), and - in large part because of the previous point - the top/bottom mounts looked less dwarfing (although much more massive due to their thickness, and still quite a bit longer, the flattening of the pinnacle does something to perception of relative size).
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

f1gm3nt3d wrote:I was told not to add portal or window lights to the hull by Jacks, so don't suggest that. ;)
Well, lights are cool, but windows arent realistic. Maybe you could add some lights that are not portal or window lights, kind of like the glowing green parts on a borg ship?

Generally, I would try to follow the scheme of the current area fighters, while adding some touches you think would be viable for a cap-ship. As long as there is some recognizable resemblance between the fighters and the capital ships anything should go.
f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

jackS wrote: hmmm I guess if you're looking to texture it, it's a bit late to be thinking about the differences between this version and the previous one, but there were three aspects that I was much happier with in the original, namely, the front spires were much shorter (actually, I think it's almost as much the case that the bay and torp launchers got pushed further back - the main section of the ship looks a bit short now), the 6 turret mounts were less pointy ( that is, they had larger flat areas on which to mount turrets), and - in large part because of the previous point - the top/bottom mounts looked less dwarfing (although much more massive due to their thickness, and still quite a bit longer, the flattening of the pinnacle does something to perception of relative size).
Hmm, Well mayhaps I'll go and fix that stuff, I agree with the spires, Once I had the thing back together after Uving it, they looked kinda strange to me. As far as the front goes, I can go and rework that also. I still have a save were the model is chunked into several different objects for uving purouses, and it's not like I'm very far along the texturing process anyways. What you're seeing is just a very basic baked procedural and the bit of darkening I did in photoshop. So It's not unthinkable for me to go back and change some stuff around. But on the subject, what I'm most interested in is the docking bay, I think I'm going to make it more like an oval, but I also need to know if you have anything envisioned for the innards of an Aeran bay?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

as for the bay - some purple tones, and I'll defer the rest to your artistic expression :)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

It might be nice to have the bay go further in to the ship, looks a little bit terrain-ish IMO.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I take it this is an aeran capship?
If that's the case, you might try adding some glowing trim and running lights like the aelar has. Also, have a look at the aelar texture, you might get some ideas for detailing.

Post by Guest »

The landing bay should be a bit more rounded, less boxy like terran...
f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

Halleck wrote:I take it this is an aeran capship?
If that's the case, you might try adding some glowing trim and running lights like the aelar has. Also, have a look at the aelar texture, you might get some ideas for detailing.
'

Yea, I'm going to try to add some of that, I know how to according to some of the tutorials in the wiki, but when I tried adding something like that to a ship I did long ago, what I got was a bunch of textured non glowing, not looking right planes. heh.
hurleybird wrote:It might be nice to have the bay go further in to the ship, looks a little bit terrain-ish IMO.
Well I'm pretty much just moving the opening for the bay up along the two front prongs(and shortening them a bit) and leaving the rear of it where it is, this'll make it deeper anyhow, I don't want to make it too deep, because then it'll be way out of proportion with the rest of the body.
guest wrote:The landing bay should be a bit more rounded, less boxy like terran...
I will be making the sides of the opening curved, they were originally, but too much so, and it became difficult to texture correctly now it'll be more of an oval shape like this. (_____)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool.

I'm curious, where do you plan to position the engine exhausts, how many will you have, and what sized will they be?
f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

Ehm, There was one huge exhaust in the rear for the engine, also I found all the old screenshots to the version of this that Jacks was referring to above, so I'm actually remodeling it yet again since modifying this mesh to match thet yielded less than satisfactory results. At any rate I just finished my finals so I should have more time to work on this now.(Though I do have to brush up on my Trig and Linear Algebra for my CG class next semester.) Oh yea, and Jacks if there's anything else you'd want changed, now would be a good time to tell me.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I think we hit the important points - but let me know as soon as there's something to take a gander at, the rust of time may have dulled my memories - good to see you round again :)