Convolution: New concept art available

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Convolution: New concept art available

Post by jackS »

Convolution - Unadorned Assault (Fighter)

Officially sanctioned concept art (it's in pieces - there's a simple bird's eye of how to put them together in the lower left of the main cannon picture):

Profound thanks go to Nózmájner for turning the brief descriptions I wrote into these beautiful sketches. (Modelers should feel free to PM Nozmajner if they need any view explained in more context)

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... inhull_dtl

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... ection_dtl

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... achull_dtl

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... nehull_dtl

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... annons_dtl

So..... next time one of our wonderful modelers finds his or herself with a block of free time - here's something to chew on.

A note on the potential consequences of several people modeling this at once and our general expectations:
If it doesn't look like the concept art, your model isn't going to get to be the Convolution. If it looks like the Convolution, but isn't up to snuff, or is otherwise bested by another model, it may look too much like the Convolution for us to be able to consider using it for a different ship. Either way, there is the potential that effort spent towards modeling this might not prove to be as fruitful as desired. If this turns out to be a problem that ends up being commonly encountered, we'll have to consider moving to some form of assigning particular models to specific people, but until then, I'm just going to see how this goes - hopefully it'll all work out without requiring too much imposed structure :).
Last edited by jackS on Wed May 11, 2005 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

as a brief aside - if someone feels like doing so before I get around to it, these sketches (and the future similar sets of sketches for the derivative and determinant when they are completed) should be referenced as part of the style guide wiki page for Unadorned military vessels.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

FYI: i just added a link in Vessel:Convolution

Pontiac
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Awesome, basing models off of concept art based off of a race description is definantly the pro way to do things.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

nice stuff here! I began something, to early to shwo something and say if I will have enough time to finish it. Just a thing, I cannot see where 4_convolution_enginehull_dtl goes with other images
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

The order of the ships parts, from left to right, viewed from the top, and the nose of the ship points up:
5_convolution_mediumcannons_dtl: these are two medium cannons.
1_convolution_mainhull_dtl: this is the main hull of the ship.
3_convolution_hoachull_dtl: this is the main cannon.
4_convolution_enginehull_dtl: these are some extra engines
They are next to each other, and they are connected with two cylinder shaped connector. (marked x and y ) The maximum distance between the parts is 1 meter (except the medium cannons, which is connected immediately to the hull).

Does this helps? :)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

yep, it helps ;) I will send you something as soon as ther is something to show ;) I'm still building splines cages
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Ok, finally found the time to update it a bit. The basic shape is ok and optimized, engines will come later, I had to do some adjustements mainly because the nose didn't fit in engine part among the concepts.
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Looks good.
Could you send the model to me, so I can check it out?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I will finish the mesh before sending it to you, it will simplify the mesh adjustements you might need before we begin speaking textures and colors. I just moved to a new flat, so I won't be able to connect from home before saturday. Let's deal an icq session?
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

OK!
ICQ sounds good. But only on weekdays 0900-1600, because I can acces net only from work :( , or if you notify me some day before, maybe I can go to my friend and use his net. If there's no work to do, we can talk, so let's hope no computer broke down that time :D.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

no problems, the only thing needed now is a way to share img fast enough. did you heard about tagcma? maybe with this prog we should be able to see in realtime the in and out
http://tagcma.com/
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

That program looks good, but the usage of it is not really clear to me.
It's interface looks a bit strange and unusable to me.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

...and Jacks can you upgrade the "Who's working on what model"?
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

still no network at home, thanks to usb thingies a more advanced wip, I just miss some nurnies from place to place but the harder is done.
@Nózmájner check your pm
I see dead polygons....
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Lookin' slick.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

etheral walker wrote:...and Jacks can you upgrade the "Who's working on what model"?
Done.

I like what I've seen so far. Can't wait to see the other two main pieces of the ship :)

Post by Guest »

I'm a little skeptic to the idea of heatsinks - convection cooling is rather pointless in vacuum. I guess, however, that it would still serve its purpose through radiation cooling (assuming you make it the right color - black for max dissipation/reflective for minimum absorbation, so color will depend on the heat dissipation required...), though I am not sure how significant heat dissipation through IR radiation is when compared to common convection cooling.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Ouch! same problems with wings and windows area! this issue was discuted many many times, almost each day a modeler showed some work! But this time I have THE answer, about the world, universe and stuffs like that:

"concept art approved by JackS"
I see dead polygons....

Post by Guest »

haha good answear.

I've got no problems with wings and windows, they've got their uses (why did people object to windows??). And I guess heatsinks are okay as well. Just bear in mind they will only act as radiation sinks (or there might be need of extra heat dissipation capacibilites when in an atmosphere, that is a plausible explaination too) when doing the shape and color. I.e. there is little point in having a black finned heatsink since the heat one fin dissipates the neighbouring one will absorb (to some extent, probably rather high since I imagine it won't be radiating anything but IR).

EDIT:
Note:

ISS (and presumably other spacecraft) typically has these kinds of radiation heatsinks. Shiny ones to reflect incoming radiation (wearing a black shirt inside the atmosphere a sunny day is pretty hot, image what it would be like without a few thousand kilometers of air shielding you off :D).
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Ok network up in my new flat;)
I made changes requested by Nózmájner, here is the current result:
I see dead polygons....
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Impressive :D
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Sweet. When this is finished, can we somehow implement visible retro-rocket blasts? I.E. have four engine mount points, two of which would fire while it is positively accellerating, and two which would fire when negatively accellerating.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

look at the concepts, there is enough additional engines to feet your needs ;) l00t concepts, I said...
I see dead polygons....
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oh, I've seen the concepts. My question was, can we implement support in the VS engine for retro-rockets?