Art Request: People

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

@jackS: Thanks for input, specially considering you're going through literal pains to answer (BTW, wish you a complete and prompt recovery.)

Don't worry about explaining the basics--I've been trying to get 'literate' on VS lore. From the intro monologue, I'm aware of his Superioris gene traits.

His physique described as that of a 'greek god', the bust and his struggle to find his place in the order of things lead me to picture him, despite his melancholy, the military experience under his belt and his evident existential pessimism, in the 30s-40s range, maybe?

The monologue speaks of emotional scars--the visual cues for which are, naturally, physical scars (they scream "this guy has a past".) Decolored skin or subtle indentations are just as valid as the stereotypical overkill gashes with stitch marks. Another alternative is making the character the kind of guy who keeps to himself, but Deucalion obviously does not belong to this group.

It could be reasonably expected for his Klk'k upbringing to show in his demeanor, attire, or even as marks on his physiology.
There is also something, perhaps, to be said for player character minimalism and letting the player do as much visualizing as possible about their own character
I guess there's more room for one to fill the shoes of the protagonist if he's practically non-existent. There's also the influence of comics, movies and tv: the most successful characters you see (or play) are those you identify with, but that's not a hard thing to achive. The character only needs to expose its humanity (worries, hopes, fears) to achieve this, and to abstain from needless idiosyncrasies so you're still comfortable about roleplaying him/her.

This is not to say that art styles have no influence in the result. Of the three previous fixers, for instance, the "Hauler Junkie" portrays more emotion and looks less 'invulnerable'; we're likely to perceive him to be more 'human' (at least until intellect intervenes.) The rendering of Deucalion's hellenic-deity-styled physique could be simplified or toned down so it's trivial, and his factions given just a hint of caricaturesque expressionism for his psyche to be exposed more emphatically.

Comments?
Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Just a comment on the excellent artwork: are you sure the clothing is contemporary enough? They are dressed not dissimilar to how people dress today. Perhaps you could exercise a little more artist freedom in the clothing... make it more futuristic somehow without compromising how practical it looks.

Just my 0.02c. It does look cool, and I find the 3d scenery with 2d manga-esque artwork combination to be compelling.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thanx for the compliments.

I have reasons for a 'conservative' approach to clothing that can be summed up as "function persists, and in space it kicks the !@#$^% out of aesthetics". Also, I was aiming at creating recognizable characters, and to be consistent to what I perceive to be a bit of a noir tendency in VS (I'd believed if anyone'd told me VS takes place 200 years in the future of Blade Runner.)
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Pontiac being lazy wrote: Funny note on the side: Jenek is a women sometimes :lol:
not any more ;-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Planets

Post by Planets »

I think your character should be you. That's how most of us play. Each of us is just one man out to make a living etc. The less definition in the player char the better (IMHO).
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

That may be true in network games (which are some sort of virtual sport, needing no justification.) When it comes to single player games, the focus changes entirely. In this case, we roleplay a character--and through this character, the game gains relevance, and a higher degree of suspension of disbelief is achieved.

The success (and influence) of literature, comics, tv and movies cannot be ignored when creating entertainment: we humans are consumers of stories. We're accustomed to storytelling, and storytelling entertainment ranks among the most successful. Sierra, LucasArts, Eidos, SquareSoft and many other high-selling gaming companies seem to be very well aware of this. You feel more comfortable guiding fighting hero to cut a bloody trail through evil hordes against which he claims rightful vengeance than just walking a faceless unknown into a realm of unexplainably hostile creatures that, for all you know, you may be killing for sport.

Roleplay is inevitable. Suspension of disbelief is never so deep that you lose consciousness of your own situation. Thus, a game that attempts to cast YOU into the main role will continuously trigger disbelief.

Let's set our sights to a more humble goal ("less is more"): to have you roleplay a character. First, as in every story, you have to identify with your character, and this is achieved by simply presenting him/her as someone with familiar emotions, fears, and aspirations (e.g., it wouldn't feel as good to play , but when the mugger is presented as desperately needing the money tu play ) When this character is then thrown into the vortex of conflict and strife, you can't help but feel that his/her situation is relevant. Thus, spectator retention is achieved, and you have no reason to doubt a background story that you have "witnessed". Clearly, there are reasons to this method.

The single-player side of a game needs a story. Even Doom and Quake (the top contenders for the didn't-let-story-get-in-the-way-of-action category) had a minimal story. Unreal was much better story job--there was even a good reason for those supply and ammo crates to be spread all over the planet. Now this pleases your brain as well as your guts.

Deucalion is a well-defined character with a very particular mindset: he feels more comfortable with certain alien races than with humans at times, has a very definite philosophical position that you may or may not share, and his purpose is to fulfill a friend's dream while finding his own. By exposing his emotions and thoughts and the reasons behind them, he will become very human despite his unique physical traits--and thus very playable.

Last but not least, the VS comic proposal (currently waiting for idea interactions that'd lead to the definite go :) ) naturally stands as a reason for my interest in Deucalion. That, and the potential cutscenes.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

agree..it's easier to write meaningful fiction when you have a defined character to play a role in your story.

if you have some nebulous character--then the whole human aspect of the story becomes ill-defined

have you ever tried reading books written in the second person?

"You go into a door... you see horrible monsters"
they tend to be awful awful works of fiction...
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Some games try to do a little bit of both. For example, in half life 1/2 you have a defined character, but he never talks.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Maybe we should ask the FreeOrion folks.

Why? Check this out!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Welcome to comic-style fixers v2.0

Well, here's the next iteration of Mr. Wasted.

Photoshop file (already cut): (edit: link removed--geocities data transfer limitations :( PM me if you need the file)

I gave him a somewhat cleaner look. He's still a junkie of sorts who nevertheless still can fly a ship. To bring him to VS time, he wears the mandatory flight suit. Extra clothing thrown in for cultural or personal reasons, whatever suits your fancy.

I know I'd said 'no shading', but I realized assuming that simple upper lighting and a still 'cartoony' look had chances of fitting in the bars.
Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

he's a lot better...maybe we could sneak him in for the imminent 0.4.3
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

...and Jenek v2 is now in CVS! looks way better! Thanks, CoJL!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Wow, that was fast! You're welcome--and thank you too.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

ISO girl v2

Photoshop file: (edit: link removed--geocities data transfer limitations :( PM me if you need the file)

Does her suit looks somewhat sturdier than Jenek's? Sure, she's an ISO courier--dogfighting is always 'round the corner.
Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

hmmm I don't really like the lines on her cheeks...makes her look old yet young...guess I could erase them or something...other than that beautiful
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hmm, I actually like the lines. She's a political fugitive and a spacefaring rogue, not miss america.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Halleck, man, you almost read my mind. The chiseled cheekbones are there to give her that hard, cold look that can be associated with rigours and hardships. But still she's attractive enough--attractive like DANGER!!!! :D
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Merchant refurbished :)

PS: Visit http://geocities.com/cubofjudahslion/VS/, look for MerchantV2fixer.zip.

(if the link refuses to work, it's geocities' bandwidth limitation. @Devs: PM me and I'll e-mail the file.)

He may look like a gentle old man, but watch it... he's been in the business this long for a reason.

The rationale for these changes is, as you may expect, a conversation with jackS regarding Deucalion. We ended up talking about his attire, and this lead easily to space suits and the ways of spaceflight in the very hi-tech yet noir and somewhat grungy VS universe. :)
Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

re: merchant

The colour looks very similar (similar colour, varying tones), almost washed out to me. Is this on purpose?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Age has taught him to be color coordinated :)

Actually, yes. I tried more "vibrant" tones that didn't suit him at all. Perhaps it's the perceived age of the subject. I dunno.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Maybe do the spacesuit deep sections a real dark grey/reflective dark grey a la Battlestar Galactica: The New Series or WC movie, or a wetsuit appearance. Leave the suit highlights the current light colour (e.g. left arm). So left arm, right arm under wrist, groin, feet and neck areas are darkened.

This gives the contrast against the brown robe and breeches, and against his head.

Would that work?
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Or maybe I'll just leave the old one, hmmm?

He he, just kidding. I'll humor ya.

Merchant Vader :P :lol:
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

The difference is subtle, but enough to get the contrast. I personally think the second pic is the better one.

Thanks for the effort.

Variation:

another option you could consider is using a light linen colouring (a la jedi robes) for the breeches or the robe. Not sure if that would work, but its a suggestion.

Overall, the look is using similar colours, but enough contrast in tones to look good!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Nice! Except that he appears to be wearing a codpiece. :shock:
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Guys, the only reason why I am redoing the fixers is because jackS took the time and went to the trouble of explaining to me that there were previously established settings pertaining spaceflight attire. It is sort of my accepted duty, but trying to please everybody (which is impossible) or accomodating particular tastes is not. I'd never finish anything. Just like you coders, I will have to filter out some of the suggestions I receive.

Strangelet brought up a valid point in his logo thread. He found himself fighting criticism (the validity of which is not for me to settle) from many fronts, and like I've said, it's impossible to please everybody. I agree with him that an art director should be appointed.

All sci-fi shouldn't look alike. Originality still counts. Why should our fixers look like Star Wars or Galactica characters? If anything, we should try to come up with our own stuff--to avoid clichés. In giving these characters a somewhat different look, I'm trying to honor the richly complex and original VS background. It's your right as well as mine.

(BTW, I don't see that color change above as an improvement. It brings out that "codpiece" effect. The "washed out" color is called beige and it's pretty normal in clothing, unless you share a wardrobe with the X-Men.)

You've all managed to keep VS unique and different so far. Let's keep it like that, shall we?

Coming up next: Confed pilot V2. Preview below (will change as work progresses)

Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.