Kahan (Andolian Torpedo Destroyer)

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Kahan (Andolian Torpedo Destroyer)

Post by etheral walker »

Didn't started texturing job, but what do you think? I made wings a bit littlest than the original, I fully remade the engine part from my own concept, I "inverted" the lateral bevels and put a gun in the hole created, I removed the kiosk but I can make one if Jacks want (otherwise I planned to add some windows via texturing to the main hull as a "cockpit"), added a few antennas to the nose (I will add many more, but with an alpha mapped cube)
http://jerome.desbordes.free.fr/props/kahan.jpg
I see dead polygons....
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

It looks like of the usual high quality you eschew; great! 8)
DirtyMagic
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DirtyMagic »

Wow, tres sweet. Can't wait to see it textured...
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Requests, thoughts, comments and such:

Requests:
Please make the wings somewhat thicker so as to reasonably support decent sized turrets on top and bottom (4, all told) of wing extremities.

Plan for supporting two very large turrets (turreted quad-light-torpedo launcher that can load torpedoes from the internals of the vessel - will need to be custom modeled to get a good match for the model), one on the top and a similar installation on bottom of the vessel. I'd place them just a bit forward of the end of guns.

(PD turrets are small enough to not need special consideration to accomodate their placement)

Docking can be handled entirely in the texture - just paint some bay doors on the front-bottom on each side somewhere (it has to get resupplied somehow ;-) )

Thoughts:
I don't want to intrude too horribly much on your aesthetic perogitives, but the rear of the ship looks a bit naked. How hard would it be to connect the two gun cowlings (providing some cover for the fore part of the engine section) and likewise mirror the two rear-cowlings (so that the feathering is inward rather than outward) and connect those as well? Perhaps add radiator ridges or some other sort of connections going into/out of the slots in the cowlings so as to help explain why the enclosures aren't complete? Not sure here, and, as I said, it's your call as to what you want to do with it (armor slabs are dull, internal parts are pretty :)) but... it does seem like it needs to cover its hind quarters more before appearing in public/combat ;-)

Comments:
Last I checked, destroyers don't have cockpits. They have bridges. The bridge will assuredly be buried in the most armored middle of the vessel. Windows would seem best suited for placement in some sort of observation deck(s) style arrangement (perhaps a row down each side beneath the transition from the top half of the hull to the bottom half? But in distinguishable groupings so that the less armored viewing areas could ostensibly be built outside of a secondary armor layor without convoluted interior design), and would probably be likewise grand around the docking area. For detail markers on other parts of the ship, there are always the airlocks/waste vents/escape pod launcher options :) But.. as always... detail it as necessary, and in the manners that you feel you need to, so that you can live with the aesthetics of your own creations.

Random, obscure, and irrelevant: Extra bonus coolness points for anyone who knows the incident that made me decide that the Kahan had to be heavily armed with torpedoes. (Hint, it helps to know who the Kahan is named after)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

yes, bridge was the word I was looking for, instead of cockpit, ok for including it in the main hull ;) dock points, well, I missed them, I include them now ;). I didn't really understood your comments about the rear, even babelfish has some pb with too technical english, but you want it more armored?
I see dead polygons....
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

etheral walker wrote:yes, bridge was the word I was looking for, instead of cockpit, ok for including it in the main hull ;) dock points, well, I missed them, I include them now ;). I didn't really understood your comments about the rear, even babelfish has some pb with too technical english, but you want it more armored?
My apologies for confusion resulting from my word choices :oops:

well, if it's not too much to ask... yeah, the rear section seems... over exposed. I was thinking that, as you had made coverings for the guns (the inverted bevel region) and coverings for the rear-side engines (the comb-like structures surrounding them on 3 sides) perhaps you could create extensions of these coverings to cover the middle engine portions as well. Even though the grill/comb-like nature means that this wouldn't _really_ be a huge upgrade to their protection, it at least gives the appearance of having been covered up (while retaining the visually pleasing "visible internals" style). Likewise, I was thinking that adding equipment that either jutted out from (some of) the partially protected areas through the holes in the coverings, or connections from other parts of the ship to the underlying protected parts via the holes/slots in the coverings (I thought that heat dissipating radiators might make sense for an engine) might help to explain why they weren't entirely armored in the first place - but the long story short is that if you think it'll make the ship a lot less visually appealing, don't bother, it's just a thought I was having. Hopefully, between these two posts, babelfish and I will make more sense together :)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

of course, looking at the results of having run my previous post into french and back to english again with babelfish.... let us merely say that clarity was not among the words that sprang to mind.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I can try something like that, is it ok?
http://jerome.desbordes.free.fr/props/kahan2.JPG
I see dead polygons....
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

Nice ship but a bit underdetailed in the fore section (at least without texture).
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I think so, I'm working on details now. If I can I will otput a normal map too, "to be ready for futures improvments". On another topic, we should begin working on new turrets
I see dead polygons....
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

etheral walker wrote:If I can I will otput a normal map too, "to be ready for futures improvments".
Do you mean we'll see bump mapping/normal offset in the foreseeable future?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I don't know, I don't have special revelations from hellcatv ;)
I see dead polygons....
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Looks good to me, if it looks good enough to you :)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

so let's finish it ;)
I see dead polygons....
Lord Q'Daan
Trader
Trader

Post by Lord Q'Daan »

I had this big long post on my thoughts on it... and then I lost it. But that's usually okay because if it's a long post I copy it to notepad as I'm writing. But it wasn't okay this time because instead of just losing the post my computer crashed nice and hard, requiring me to reboot. So while I was waiting for it to boot up I walked out of my dorm room to the drinking fountain, and mindlessly closed the door behind me. That should have been okay, because I had my wallet with me, but my keycard wasn't in my wallet. Even that should have been okay, because at least one of my two roommates are usually in, both of them being online game addicts. Last night just had to be the exception. So now it's about 20 hours later and I haven't the slightest idea what I was going to say, other than that I liked the sawfish look of the original. Gah!
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The concept design + model presented in this thread differ significantly from the one by Fendoring visible (though not announced) in this post.

What is required for the sake of clarity and unbiased guidance is a statement from the Minister of Information regarding which design to follow.

Personally, I favor Fendorin's new design (and hope that after approval the model is still available for sharing).
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

This Kahan design was discontinued in favor of Fendorin's design also matching closely other Andolian capital vessels.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i will post soon the mesh file +texture map but i still need help for -meshering- the obj file
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

That's cool. I'm learning on the subject of TMT Tactical Mesher Trickery (TM) and will hopfully integrate the model smoothly into VS.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

fixing pyramid's mistake

Post by Fendorin »

hello

the parcell:
DivShare File - kahan.7z
it's the necessary staff pack

i cant test the Bump map and the Shininess map i made

if it's possible for Bgaskey; Rivalin or Chuck or other contributor if you know how to for rendering to test for me
i made with following the tutoriel in wiki part
i hope is good because i m like blind

but i see on this picture http://img206.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 2_33lo.jpg
on the side of Archimede it like bump effect no?? i never had that on my computer how to??? for that Rivalin?? did you create a bump map yourself or i just your software???

Thank you for your future help...
Last edited by Fendorin on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Thanks. I'll make the integration as soon as I'm done with the ObjectConverter python GUI for converting models from obj to bfxm.

Actually, I've also never been able to test bump/normal maps on my machine.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

render :
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

I love this ship! :D

In fact it is my new favorite capship. Next release I will hack myself one and all who see it will envy and fear me. :twisted:

If you are both having trouble viewing bump or normal maps, you should first make sure your graphics card drivers are fully up to date. Sometimes it is as simple as that if you have an older gpu.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i found another mistake:
the size of Kahan need to be redone the Lama is at 25 meters to the destroyer:
i took this screen shot

maybe it could be good to have a "size marker" like a 500 meters mesh in addition to the marker for mount? or find a solutions for implement directly with the good size

And Yes @Chuck now you can say the ship look like a toy...

i use the SVN version of the game
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I believe, there are many more ships that would need a revisit of stats, size being one of them.

The Kahan should have 1500 m length. Currently it's only 13.77 m.
In this case, a change of scale factor to 108.93 is sufficient to bring the model up to scale. In the future, all models should ideally already come scaled correctly in blender.
On a side note, it also needs thruster glow.

@Fendorin,
You, as a proficient modeler, could come up with a ruler?